Quantcast

One more try folks. Dec. 6th Carters Lake DH Race.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Alright people, we are going to have one more try at this. The last and only race at Carter's this year. Lets make it a good one.
I know some of you in the past commented that you don't ever hear about this race, well here you go.
Registration - 9 A.M.
Race - 2 P.M.

There will be concessions sold. Hot dog, drink, and chips. $5.00 ( cash only )

Jul 9, 2007
Will there be a beginner class or something like that?
I've never been to Carter's and I'm wondering if this would be a good event for my first downhill race. I've ridden at Windrock a few times as well as some lift assisted stuff but never participated in a race.

I am planning on trying to run a few races next year but I'd be super psyched to get my feet wet sooner. Not looking to be competitive really, just to have a blast and ride. Would this be worth the 7 hour drive down from KY?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I've never been to Carter's and I'm wondering if this would be a good event for my first downhill race. I've ridden at Windrock a few times as well as some lift assisted stuff but never participated in a race.

I am planning on trying to run a few races next year but I'd be super psyched to get my feet wet sooner. Not looking to be competitive really, just to have a blast and ride. Would this be worth the 7 hour drive down from KY?
I think Carters might be the best event for your first dh race. Nothing to tech. about it. As far as it being worth the drive down,maybe not if you just try to make the sunday race. Usually there is a good bit of people there the day before who ride and camp that night. So make a weekend of it and have a blast.

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004

What part of KY do you live in?

256freeride

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
South
A friend and I are considering coming from Huntsville Al for our first real DH race. Could someone give me some more info, as in, will there be beginner, or intermediate classes? and info about camping. How close are the campsites to the trails?

Thanks

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
A friend and I are considering coming from Huntsville Al for our first real DH race. Could someone give me some more info, as in, will there be beginner, or intermediate classes? and info about camping. How close are the campsites to the trails?

Thanks
There will be beg, am, and pro classes. There are camping sites( price for camping I think is 10 or 15 bucks) right down the road from trails. 1 minute ride by bike.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Starting at the intersection of GA-5 and GA-282(Tails Creek Rd.) head west7.4 miles. Bear left on Dotson Rd. There will a large brown sign, like a forestry or state park sign. Stay on rd. for about 2-3 miles. You'll see a 3-4 place parking spot, more than likley occupied. Thats close to the trail.

Jul 9, 2007
I think Carters might be the best event for your first dh race. Nothing to tech. about it. As far as it being worth the drive down,maybe not if you just try to make the sunday race. Usually there is a good bit of people there the day before who ride and camp that night. So make a weekend of it and have a blast.
Sweet! I'm probably going to plan on being there then! Anyone from between Eastern KY and Carter's want to meet up for a car pool? My route will take me down through knoxville.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
carters has 2 dh runs, beg. class runs on the beg trail,and the am. and pro class ride on the main dh trail,,, then there is the ridgeway xc trails also. the 2 dh trails are side byside to each other, and the xc trails are just really all around the place

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
carters has 2 dh runs, beg. class runs on the beg trail,and the am. and pro class ride on the main dh trail,,, then there is the ridgeway xc trails also. the 2 dh trails are side byside to each other, and the xc trails are just really all around the place
So the Ams will be racing on the beg trail?:think:
I hope this isn't the case, but I may have read wrong

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
it is actully beginner class on beg. trail , and intermediate and pro on the main trail,,,if it is the same format as last year. it is located between ellijay ga. and chatsworth, carters lake

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Thanks to those who showed up and froze their asses off and another thanks to those who have endured the disappointments of this race series. Next year will definitely be better and more organized.
As far as the "expert" line that has been pondered over, there wont be one. Not for now. However, we will be able to build more of the same as what's there now. More to come. Josh