Quantcast

onepointfive vp-free

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Been gone for a long long time, and will continue to be pretty much absent, but I thought I'd pop in to stir some sh!t.

Ran into the SC and WTB crews the other day, sporting a VP-Free with Breakout Plus. No comment regarding plans for production or lack thereof.

Discuss.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hmm...I emailed SC about 1.5 bikes about 4-6 months ago, and they said they had no plans to build them. I wonder if they changed thier minds?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Don't care, the 66 is coming the Fox 36 is coming. 1 1/8 is here to stay and 1.5 is a FAD :rolleyes: :nuts: (J/K ;) )

Bah, companies play around with stuff like this all the time, it doesn't mean it'll see the light of day.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I don't know why companies like Fox or RS don't make it an option. I can't imagine that it's not all that much additional tooling.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would think 1.5 would be a no brainer for something like the VP-Free.

Stronger headtube, option to run a Breakout+ on what is supposed to be a very versitile bike, the single crown fork making it more versitile still...

Sounds good to me.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
binary visions said:

Stronger headtube, option to run a Breakout+ on what is supposed to be a very versitile bike, the single crown fork making it more versitile still...

Sounds good to me.
Just out of curiousity, what makes a single crown fork more versitile?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ohio said:
Been gone for a long long time, and will continue to be pretty much absent, but I thought I'd pop in to stir some sh!t.

Ran into the SC and WTB crews the other day, sporting a VP-Free with Breakout Plus. No comment regarding plans for production or lack thereof.

Discuss.
Could be an agreement to let Intense have premium 1.5 status for the first year release for the Intense V8 FR... SC and Intense have similiar products flowing out now so they have to do something to keep them in different product segments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The 1.5 HT is more versitile because you can run both forks.

The Breakout+ is one of the most versitile forks on the market, IMO. Super light, 7" of SPV travel, switchable to 5" with a flick of a switch for climbing. No limited turning radius, nothing to bang your knees on going up a hill... What other fork opens up all those options for you?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
profro said:
Just out of curiousity, what makes a single crown fork more versitile?
1. You can climb without tagging your knees on the top crown (ouch!)

2. Big X-ups:p

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
-BB- said:
I think that he is asying that a 1.5 HT is more versitile b/c you can run 1.5 AND 1.125 in forks.
I agree with that, but he says 'the single crown fork making it more versitile still'. I just don't see what makes it more versitile. To me things like adjustable travel or Zoke's ETA/ECC make a fork more versitile not how many crowns it has. That's just me.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
binary visions said:
The 1.5 HT is more versitile because you can run both forks.

Super light, 7" of SPV travel, switchable to 5" with a flick of a switch for climbing. No limited turning radius, nothing to bang your knees on going up a hill...
:thumb:

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
binary visions said:

Sounds good to me.

I don't know about that.....have you seen the headtube on the new VPP-Free? It is freakin' heavy duty. Makes the headtube on my Bullit look like a tin can.

mtnbikej

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mtnbikej said:
I don't know about that.....have you seen the headtube on the new VPP-Free? It is freakin' heavy duty. Makes the headtube on my Bullit look like a tin can.
1.5 is just stronger in all respects. The larger diameter resists both flaring ovalization (which the thick 1 1/8" headtube helps), and compressive ovalization (which the thick headtube does nothing for). I don't know if those are the right terms, but the first refers to the actual headtube deforming, and the second is the material compressing inside the headtube.

And the kicker is, it can be done all for the same weight (maybe lighter?) as the uber-thick 1 1/8" headtube. It's a beautiful thing :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mtnbikej said:

mtnbikej
How many times can people gloss over the fact that a giant 1.125" HT still won't be as strong as 1.5" one. There are numerous advantages - use the search tool - its been beaten to death :eviltongu

Oh yeah, the HT on the VP Free is internally butted - you can't run CK Steelset etc... :P (well you can, but its not recommended cause it offers no advantage)

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
The Intense V8/VpX is a 1.5". I raced it at Bear with the breakout+ and I didn't really notice any flex or anything, and it was pretty light. I think I'll stick with Marzocchi, though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The problem right now is kind of a chicken or the egg conundrum. Some of the bigger companies seem reluctant to build 1.5 bikes because the fork selection is so limited, and the fork companies seem to be holding back because there aren't that many big companies making 1.5. Yes, there are some, and Trek's freeride with 1.5 is probably a big kick. Just seems like 1.5 is kind of taxiing down the runway but can't really take off.

Personally I think the new standard for big bikes is or soon will be 8" forks, so unless you can do an 8" single crowm (1.5 or otherwise) it's not that big a deal to me. Although, the idea of doing bar spins on my big bike does sound pretty cool. :D

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
binary visions said:
1.5 is just stronger in all respects. The larger diameter resists both flaring ovalization (which the thick 1 1/8" headtube helps), and compressive ovalization (which the thick headtube does nothing for). I don't know if those are the right terms, but the first refers to the actual headtube deforming, and the second is the material compressing inside the headtube.

And the kicker is, it can be done all for the same weight (maybe lighter?) as the uber-thick 1 1/8" headtube. It's a beautiful thing :thumb:

yep. 1.5" steerer tubes may or may not be a good idea, but 1.5" headtubes are superior to 1 1/8" in almost every way, stronger, can be lighter, and with the use of e13 cups and different headset, you can have way more control over stack heights for use with different forks, and adjusting geometry.

also, it leaves more room for big ass headtube badges! :thumb:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
If you were in an industry as competitive as bicycle suspension, would you be the first to admit that one of your competitors did something that makes a ton of sense, therefor casting a bit of doubt on your existing products, or would you continue doing what you were doing and tell everybody that the other thing is crap?

;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dropmachine.com said:
If you were in an industry as competitive as bicycle suspension, would you be the first to admit that one of your competitors did something that makes a ton of sense, therefor casting a bit of doubt on your existing products, or would you continue doing what you were doing and tell everybody that the other thing is crap?

;)
I agree that from a marketing perspective it'd be difficult for other companies to admit that a competitor's product is a good one.

However, as a consumer, I still reserve the right to bitch about those companies who won't admit when something is better :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Fulton said:
yep. 1.5" steerer tubes may or may not be a good idea, but 1.5" headtubes are superior to 1 1/8" in almost every way, stronger, can be lighter, and with the use of e13 cups and different headset, you can have way more control over stack heights for use with different forks, and adjusting geometry.

That is exactly what I was thinking.
Take the 1.5 Turner Rail for instance.
When I fall on a sack of money, I want to pick one up, so I was dreaming about which fork to put on it.
With the 1.5 headtube, I can actually put on a longer travel fork, because the E13 cups will make up for the increase in height.
That's sweet.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Fulton said:

:stupid:

got to admit tho that until I got my Turner I wasn't really for this OnePointFive Standard...but now I can see the many advantages! :thumb:

Edit: doesn't really affect my purchase decision tho! if the bike is good i'll buy one no matter what HT it has.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
RaID said:
the Marzocchi 66 is 7" and 1 1/8
personally id think it would probably suit the Vp Free more then
the 888
for a given amount of travel won't a single crown be taller? (in other words, the 66 is going to be one tall beast, and the vp-free is already a tall bike, at least on paper)

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Toshi said:
for a given amount of travel won't a single crown be taller? (in other words, the 66 is going to be one tall beast, and the vp-free is already a tall bike, at least on paper)
In theory it should be the same, but the reality is that when you have to make the crown that much heavier duty, yeah it usually ends up taller.

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
Eigil said:
The Intense V8/VpX is a 1.5". I raced it at Bear with the breakout+ and I didn't really notice any flex or anything, and it was pretty light. I think I'll stick with Marzocchi, though.

:drool:

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
I've spent many many hours on a VP-Free. It has a super t on it, and it built up as a proper freeride bike. It's a hot ride.

I was horrified that it didn't have a 1.5 headtube, and talked at length to the SC guys about it. They have no plans to introduce such an option, though there are a few protos in existance.

If you want such a feature, I'd get on the horn to SC and let them know.

p6

firevsh2o

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
Even if Marzocchi now makes a 7" SC with the 66 in 1 1/8", it will be heavier and taller than the Manitou. And it will not offer less travel with a flip of a lever. I allways thought I would not need such a function, but on steep climbs it is very helpful on my Breakout+.

Santa Cruz should go 1.5 to let the customer decide which fork he wants to run.

1.5 is here to stay, every European freeride bike I can think of has this standard at least as an option. 1 1/8" is allmost dead here for freeride applications.

PS: ... and even Trek will make a 1.5 Bike now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Voleurz apparel said:
there is a 7 inch single crown with 1 1/8 it is the bomber 666 it is called. saw wade with one and alex pro is getting his soon.
Everyone thinks that because they made the 888, this one is called the 666... That'd be pretty bad marketing to name a fork the 666 anyway, but it's called the 66.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
binary visions said:
Everyone thinks that because they made the 888, this one is called the 666... That'd be pretty bad marketing to name a fork the 666 anyway, but it's called the 66.
naw, they could sell it with those new antichrist frames......