Quantcast

Onyx (by DTswiss) rear hubs...

Arm@ndo

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
I've managed to shred mine on my Heckler in a year and a half.
Took it apart and noticed that one of the pawls busted, and as it floated freely within the freehub, it mangled the engagement points.
Looks like it needs a spring and pawls kit and also a new freehub.
$50 my cost.

Questions I have are...

Have any of you had to re-build theirs in similar fashion and were the results favourable ?

Do you recommend the re-build or just get a new hub and re-lace the rim ?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
im not familiar with that specific hub but i remember some years ago there was a frequent problem with DT hubs that needed new pawls, main thing to check is that the hub body isnt damaged, if so, dont bother with it (my opinion at least).
if the body is ok you should be able to get away with it w/o buying a complete new freehub, why do you think youll need a new one?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Mine did the same thing.
Just rebuild it. $50 sounds steep though. You should be able to get it for less than that.

You don't need a whole new freehub, just the pawls.

Arm@ndo

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
Well, as I said, I took out the freehub so as to expose the pawls.
I noticed that one of the pawls broke and the lose pieces kept grinding away and chipping chunks off the engagement points on the freehub.
My guess is that if I just replace the pawls/spring kit and not the freehub, I'll not have solved the problem.

I priced out these parts and wholesale cost (that's me) as priced in a catalog shows:

$18 for the pawl/spring kit
$32 for the damn freehub

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Arm@ndo said:
Well, as I said, I took out the freehub so as to expose the pawls.
I noticed that one of the pawls broke and the lose pieces kept grinding away and chipping chunks off the engagement points on the freehub.
My guess is that if I just replace the pawls/spring kit and not the freehub, I'll not have solved the problem.

I priced out these parts and wholesale cost (that's me) as priced in a catalog shows:

$18 for the pawl/spring kit
$32 for the damn freehub
Where are you finding these prices?

Anything on a hub body?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
grasshopper, just FYI, quoting wholesale prices on a public board is normally considered a no-no, you probably get the reason why ;)

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
kidwoo said:
The flanges on mine broke off before it had a chance to develop anything "mechanical"

So no. I've never had that problem.:D
That happened to 2 front hubs of mine. I got one replaced under warranty. The one rear Onyx I have has worked fine.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
to be honest i'm total pissed at the quality of th dt swiss hubs that came on my bike. they are not that like the engament is no better than shimano and the axle will not stay tight. one last thing that i hate the most is that the axle I.D. is machined over sized and will not allow the skewer to hold the hub in the frame properly.