Quantcast

ooooo!!!! Can I play the Broken Bike game too?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, so this isn't as severe as what Splat and Westy did, but it's the first time I've ever broken a "significant" part of the bike. I've taco'd wheels and shattered d/r and such, but nothing like this. Fortunately, this should be easy to fix, and I'll probably replace all the bearings while I have it apart.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Swing link on a 575. Wouldn't think that was a very high stress member, I was wrong. Don't you need special tools to remove the bushings/bearing on the 575?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That is literally the first time I've ever heard of one of those bikes breaking.

At least you know you will be taken care of :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Jackson, I can get you that and I have the bearing/bushing tool. Call me!

Victor
Sounds good. I'm actually in the process of buying a couple of project bikes, so I should have a decent list of parts I need here in a week or so. Once I know what I have and what I need, I'll get a list together for you and make the drive out.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Swing link on a 575. Wouldn't think that was a very high stress member, I was wrong. Don't you need special tools to remove the bushings/bearing on the 575?
yes and no! I have never seen one break there either, and you should use the pusher/puller tool, but if you have access to an "arbor press" and the correct size spacers (or are good with a socket set and a vice), you can remove and replace without the special tool.

Jackson, from what everyone has told me though, Victor is the man, and will be able to take care of you! good luck!

BTW what projects you pickin up?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
BTW what projects you pickin up?
A steel SS frame and a DJ/urban frame. Both are actually more than just frames, but neither are complete bikes. I just gotta sit down and make a list of what I'm getting with each bike, then start filling in the holes.