Quantcast

Open Letter to Beacon Hill users from a Landowner

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
we (Beacon Trails Group) got this letter from one of our partner landowners. They asked us to post it on the Beacon Trails FB page and share elsewhere. For more on the Beacon Trails Project go to the FB page.

(note- if a trail isn’t on the map, it’s not a “designated” trail. The below refers to trails NOT on the maps. Buy a map at Wheelsport if you aren't sure.)

Dear Mountain Biking and Trail Community,

I an Molly Zammit. For those of you who do not know me, I am a landowner on Beacon Hill who has been involved with the formalizing of the wonderful trail system on Beacon from the first meeting held at REI three(?) years ago. I have watched and participated in the process as much as I am able and see the good progress. As with anything, there are bumps and bruises along the way. And I have three things that I wish to bring to the community.

I am the person who led the effort to close the trail built without permission on my property. I know there are those who are upset, but as BeaconHillTrails (Facebook) pointed out, if this was your property, you would also be upset. I am grateful to Brian and Alec for their continued efforts in maintaining the barriers so that the trail stays closed. This is not just my request, but the request of the three other landowners whose property where the trail run through. To those who defiantly continue to use that trail, stop.

I am sad to report two new trails are being marked on what I believe is the Banta property. The first one starts a few yards downhill from the decommissioned trail and runs to the east-all on private property. The second is further down the trail and turns to the west towards Shields Park where the other trail turns to the west. To the person(s) doing this. STOP! The Bantas made it clear they don't want trails built on their property. Neither do the rest of us want more trails on our lands. If you know who is responsible, you have the legal and moral responsibility to tell them to stop! It is jeopardizing the process of building a world class trail system on Beacon by making landowners upset. If they don't stop, PLEASE, turn them in to the police.

On Saturday I had a very lost family end up by my home. They started at John Shields and hiked. The frustrated father mentioned the only signs on trails were the ones on the decommissioned trail mentioned above. The solution-signs on the trails where it is ok to hike/bike. Problem: NO MONEY. I have two ideas to put forth to the community. The first is to have individuals or businesses sponsor trails. They would adopt a trail and be responsible for providing funds to properly mark that trail. The Centennial Trail use something similar to this to build sections of the trail. Why not try this to get signs up sooner than later? My second idea is to ask the Kalispell Tribe for a grant. They gave close to $750,000 to the area communities last year, why not ask? It is a fairly simple process. We need to find out how to work this out with our city and county partners, hopefully without too much red tape. Signs will make it possible for everyone to know where they can hike/bike instead of where they can't. Let's have a discussion on this forum about the ideas.

This project is so worthy of everything we can put into it. I love walking the hill as I know others do. I know all of you that bike love biking the trails. I hope our great-grandchildren brag to their children 'Your great-great grandmother/father built these trails for us!' WOW! Think of the legacy we will leave.

Molly Zammit