Quantcast

Opinions from Diablo folks on Hunter Mountain?

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
So my friend and I have been riding at Diablo all summer (first season riding DH/FR). We've hit almost all of the single diamond trails at Diablo and a couple of the double diamond ones (but I'd put our skill level in the single diamond range).

Is there fun stuff to ride at Hunter for us? Looking at the youtube videos, most of the trails look to be easier than what's offered at Diablo, but then again, there are no videos on youtube of the really gnar stuff at diablo, so maybe the same is true for Hunter.

We're looking to hit a different park this weekend, just for a change and right now we're between Hunter and Platty. We've ridden platty once before so we have an idea of what the terrain is like there, but Hunter is closer to my friend's place.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Yeah I think you're right. Huntermtn.com says that the skyride dates were extended through sunday but I guess that has nothing to do with riding there.

I'm still curious as to what it's like up there compared to diablo terrain-wise and difficulty-wise, so if anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
i brought my sunday to hunter this year and had a blast. the trails are completly different type than diablo. its more like dh single track, not rough, ridable with a short travel but when your on a dh rig you can go so fast on some of the trails. there are some jumps but not too much. the berm section is awesome. and the trail called Nasty is kinda a freeride trail, really fun. you have to explore a bit though. they run group rides to introduce you to the mountain. over great place for every level of riding.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Thanks for the info, dude. We'll definitely ride hunter next season, as they're closed now. For this weekend we're now deciding between jiminy, catamount, and whiteface, so if anyone has any thoughts on those, feel free to share.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Hunter Mountain used to have World Cup back in the day, some old guy (Andrew Shandro or Hans Reys) broke their back there and a chick died. I'd say there's crazy trails somewhere there but I bet they're over grown.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
whiteface is great..steap at some points a lot different that diablo..i went there last year

The trails at Whiteface are unreal, almost all natural stuff, but really loamy, steep, rooty, rocky fun!

Also, it's about a 3 mile run to the bottom (that's how long the racecourse was),

It's pretty much my favorite place to ride right now.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
1. Planning on hitting highland for their closing weekend, but my friend and I have too much other stuff to do this weekend to drive that much.

2. Were Hunter's world cup days back in the day when WC DH was just wailing down a fireroad as fast as possible?

3. Definitely stoked to check out Whiteface. From what I've heard, diablo has more man-made stuff, but the runs at Whiteface are super long, which is to be expected, since the mountain is more than twice the height of diablo.

4. For those of you who have ridden both diablo and whiteface, would you care to comment on the difficulty of the trails at diablo compared to whiteface (both the gondola trails and the shuttle trails)? Trail-to-trail comparisons would be especially helpful.

Last edited:

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
1. Planning on hitting highland for their closing weekend, but my friend and I have too much other stuff to do this weekend to drive that much.

2. Were Hunter's world cup days back in the day when WC DH was just wailing down a fireroad as fast as possible?

3. Definitely stoked to check out Whiteface. From what I've heard, diablo has more man-made stuff, but the runs at Whiteface are super long, which is to be expected, since the mountain is more than twice the height of diablo.

4. For those of you who have ridden both diablo and whiteface, would you care to comment on the difficulty of the trails at diablo compared to whiteface (both the gondola trails and the shuttle trails)? Trail-to-trail comparisons would be especially helpful.

Don't bother with the shuttle, not worth it at all.

Whteface is probably 3 times as high as Diablo, top PRO time at the 5k was a 7:40 (I think), so you can get an idea how big that mountain is.

That being said, there isn't alot of wood or drops like Diablo (although they do have a monster double teeter).

The trails flow well & change terrain alot, alot of rocks, roots & loam like I said before, very well built, twisty & steep.

I would say the difficulty is up there (especially if it's wet), it'll put a beating on you.

The place is much more natural DH, not freeride oriented like Diablo, great place to train for DH racing, if you can do top to bottom runs flat out at Whiteface you'll kill everywhere else.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I heard other wise. EC was telling us that one year they had a really steep tech course. I may have been spaced out and not caught the hole conversation though.

Sep 23, 2007
how many years did they have a world cup at hunter?

i speak not from experience, but from some old home video i saw years ago. i swear what i saw was belt parkway fireroad action.

still crazy to think hunter used to host WC events. that mountain is pretty tame now, and i guess that is why!

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
how many years did they have a world cup at hunter?

i speak not from experience, but from some old home video i saw years ago. i swear what i saw was belt parkway fireroad action.

still crazy to think hunter used to host WC events. that mountain is pretty tame now, and i guess that is why!
Not sure how many years it ran, but it was early 90's. My friend was a course marshall there when Hans Rey took his flying spill...........and yes, most of the course was flat out ski trail/fire road type stuff.