Quantcast

Opinions on my new 24" frame

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
want to get everyone's input on my frame. it may not be something some of you would ride but i will still appreciate any feedback you can offer.

i miss the old twin top tube days so this is what i came up with for myself.

won't go into the details right now with the geometry but..

it does has 14mm dropouts,mid bb,integrated ht,quick ht and slightly higher bb shell and a short rear end.

right before cru got his shipment in of liquid frames i really wanted one but i lost my job.since i have been not been working i had some time and was cheaper to have this made myself. eventually i would like to try a liquid and also own one of melm's frames

thanks in advance for your input :)

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
yeah i miss the old days of the torker frames,ozone freestyle frames,rl 20 II,morales, etc..

that's why i built it.

if i hadn't lost my job i probably would never have had the motivation to work on this project.

the only new parts are the headset,seat/post and the forks. everything else is borrowed from my other bikes.

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
Nice. I would have wanted a sus fork.
in late 99 or early 00 / my first slalom bike was an azonic ds-1 which i ran 24" wheels on then bought a norco 250cc around 03 i think" then had various other frames. at the time none rode like a bmx really.

i always loved running 24" mtb's but the costs of the forks... so i went back to what i grew up riding.. bmx

over the years i never found any cruiser frames really that i liked.i did own a badd and co. cruiser frame that was a lot better than the other cruiser frames out there but it still wasn't what i wanted.always wanting a shorter rear on my frames and other features.

for years i put off buying a custom from brew and thick bikes and just kept riding my 20"

the sunday frames came out but still didn't have what i wanted then eventually the liquid frames came out and looked perfect but without a job i could not really do much.

so this is basically how this frame came about.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I built a frame like that a few years ago, the whole torker thing, its way cool. I must have sawzalled mine up bucause I don't see it around anymore.

Hey, I just noticed where you are located. Are you going to bring that rig up to Trilogy? I try to head up for open practice now and again.

Last edited:

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Looks good man, I love the double TT.

I'm confused though, did you build it yourself? I can't imagine another way that it could have been cheaper than buying a Liquid.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
yeah i miss the old days of the torker frames,ozone freestyle frames,rl 20 II,morales, etc..

that's why i built it.

if i hadn't lost my job i probably would never have had the motivation to work on this project.

the only new parts are the headset,seat/post and the forks. everything else is borrowed from my other bikes.
I've got an old 1985ish torker pit bike sitting in my garage. Every bmx bike I raced got sold but that one..........just can't get rid of it. Skyway mags, OG comp 3s........

That's good stuff man. I wish I had the skills to just decide to jig and weld up a frame.

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
I built a frame like that a few years ago, the whole torker thing, its way cool. I must have sawzalled mine up bucause I don't see it around anymore.

Hey, I just noticed where you are located. Are you going to bring that rig up to Trilogy? I try to head up for open practice now and again.
tomorrow(4-24-2010) around 9am there is a swap meet at the parking lot at penns landing and then an old school ride with everyone's old bikes. i should be there with the bike but not 100% sure. am also trying to make it to the pottstown on sunday with the bike but if i don't make it i will try for the following weekend.

not sure where you are located but pm me whenever you think you can make it to trilogy.will try to meet you there.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Looks really good. I'm considering another custom 24" frame, built around a BMX fork like that. The one I have now is designed for a short suspension fork, but I've never put one on it. I think I'd rather run tall bars and short forks than tall forks and short bars.
I'll keep the same geometry though, 70 degree head, 22.5" TT, 12" BB and 14.5" CS.
I also want to stick with disc brakes.

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
I've got an old 1985ish torker pit bike sitting in my garage. Every bmx bike I raced got sold but that one..........just can't get rid of it. Skyway mags, OG comp 3s........

That's good stuff man. I wish I had the skills to just decide to jig and weld up a frame.
nice!

hold onto that torker for as long as you can :)

there are quite a few things i would like to change on the frame and if there are more made i will make sure i find someone better equipped to handle a larger volume.

thanks for the nice comments. i appreciate it :)

Last edited:

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
i'll trade you my proto frame for yours (i'll wait till you beat the newness out of it first)...

then you will have a liquid, and i'll have one of those beauties...

:)

the way i ride you will be waiting quite a long time for the newness to wear off :p

i have to look through my bookmarks and find the geometry on the proto liquid frames. offhand i can't remember.

the only real difference is i went with a 21.5" tt but my tire does clear for barspins.

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
Looks really good. I'm considering another custom 24" frame, built around a BMX fork like that. The one I have now is designed for a short suspension fork, but I've never put one on it. I think I'd rather run tall bars and short forks than tall forks and short bars.
I'll keep the same geometry though, 70 degree head, 22.5" TT, 12" BB and 14.5" CS.
I also want to stick with disc brakes.
thank you for the compliment :)

i know exactly how you feel regarding tall bars and short forks.whenever you can afford it i would build the custom exactly the way you wanted it.i wanted a frame with disc mounts too but because i was using parts from another bike to build the frame i went with 990 mounts.i could have easily put mounts on for a later date but didn't want to clutter the frame up cable guides and things like that.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
want to get everyone's input on my frame. it may not be something some of you would ride but i will still appreciate any feedback you can offer.

i miss the old twin top tube days so this is what i came up with for myself.

won't go into the details right now with the geometry but..

it does has 14mm dropouts,mid bb,integrated ht,quick ht and slightly higher bb shell and a short rear end.

right before cru got his shipment in of liquid frames i really wanted one but i lost my job.since i have been not been working i had some time and was cheaper to have this made myself. eventually i would like to try a liquid and also own one of melm's frames

thanks in advance for your input :)

heh heh, yeah dude. i've been thinking about something just like that for a while. here's a torker 24 i picked up on craigslist next to a hoffman big daddy.

this is the era i was thinking about (except in cruiser form):

MORALES thread:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=1737142

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Everytime I hear Torker I think of Jason Jensen who rode for them and tore sh!t up especially for a younger kid.

Love the frame oldschool81. Very cool that you put on a Comp 3 up front too.

Jason Jensen:

Attachments

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
I'm a welder,machinist,fabricator by trade and that frame/bike is sick:thumb: Makes me want to go out to the garage and smash all my "bought" bikes with a sledge and build one........

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
nice looking bike!

I have a Morales in storage. next to a box that has every issue of FREESTYLIN' and a bunch of early 80's BMXA's . :cheers:

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
Everytime I hear Torker I think of Jason Jensen who rode for them and tore sh!t up especially for a younger kid.

Love the frame oldschool81. Very cool that you put on a Comp 3 up front too.

Jason Jensen:
i remember him very well and have all my old bmx action magazines too
:D

if you look at one of the pictures i posted.. think it's the 2nd one? my bike has one of those new stolen thermalite seat/post combo's on it. i waited for 2 months to get that seat.everybody had them on backorder. i wanted it because it reminded me of the old uni seats .then i started thinking about how the dinky dudes mini's would have the uni mini seats with the nose sawed off to save weiht.

the post that comes with it is way to short for my liking so i bought a longer one and swapped it out. soon as i sat down i knew the seat at that height was not for me. my pants kept getting caught on the rear tire :oops:
for now i have an old kona race light saddle on there.

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
I'm a welder,machinist,fabricator by trade and that frame/bike is sick:thumb: Makes me want to go out to the garage and smash all my "bought" bikes with a sledge and build one........
thank you very much for the compliment :)

you sound like you have a lot more experience than i do with fabricating and building things. if i build more i may have to get you to do it. i can honestly say for a few days i was completely exhausted working on it.i wanted to keep it as stress free as possible but with me nothing ever works out that way.lol

but it was certainly worth it :)

thank you again

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
nice looking bike!

I have a Morales in storage. next to a box that has every issue of FREESTYLIN' and a bunch of early 80's BMXA's . :cheers:
i love morales frames.when they first came out my friend was running that frame with kore forks. those were the days...:)

and hold onto those mags. the only freestylin issue i actually own is the very first one. the rest of my magazines are bmx action and bmx plus

http://www.mauricemeyer.com/BMX/old-school/images/Freestylin_Summer_84_cover.jpg

DreadMonday

Chimp
Apr 13, 2010
PA
Frame looks great! I was thinking that I would like to see a '85ish Haro Master as a 24". I could see a whole line of custom frames that are 24" versions of the '80's bikes, geared toward the old school crowd who might like the comfort of that size.
I have the Liquid and highly recommend it. Awesome frame.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Frame looks great! I was thinking that I would like to see a '85ish Haro Master as a 24". I could see a whole line of custom frames that are 24" versions of the '80's bikes, geared toward the old school crowd who might like the comfort of that size.
I have the Liquid and highly recommend it. Awesome frame.
Kappa did some retro frames mostly based on Hutch looptails but after a quick search on Vintage it seems that they are out of business.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
oldschl81, i am stoked on your frame!

this dude had the stickers right but not the frame: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/7514

Ambiente Bikes "Prospero 24":"

http://www.ambientebikes.com/products-frames-prospero.php

also, Brooklyn Machine Works:

Brooklyn Machine Works "T.T. cruiser"

http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/site/bikes.html

A.K.A "The Pooky Twin Toptube"

The Twin Top Tube Cruiser evolved from the original 1996 Brooklyn Cruiser. The new “POOKY” is made in Brooklyn with US 4130 chromoly and custom machined parts. It has been updated to use 135mm rear disc hubs with our milled aluminum disk brake hanger and chain tensioner. The price includes frame, fork, and matching stem. The Pookie is also available as complete bike on a special order. Fully built, the Twin Top Tube Cruiser is a high profile cruiser that attracts much deserved attention.

Last edited:

oldschl81

Chimp
Mar 9, 2002
ridley park.pa
oldschl81, i am stoked on your frame!

this dude had the stickers right but not the frame: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/7514

Ambiente Bikes "Prospero 24":"

http://www.ambientebikes.com/products-frames-prospero.php

also, Brooklyn Machine Works:

Brooklyn Machine Works "T.T. cruiser"

http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/site/bikes.html

A.K.A "The Pooky Twin Toptube"

The Twin Top Tube Cruiser evolved from the original 1996 Brooklyn Cruiser. The new “POOKY” is made in Brooklyn with US 4130 chromoly and custom machined parts. It has been updated to use 135mm rear disc hubs with our milled aluminum disk brake hanger and chain tensioner. The price includes frame, fork, and matching stem. The Pookie is also available as complete bike on a special order. Fully built, the Twin Top Tube Cruiser is a high profile cruiser that attracts much deserved attention.

thank you for the compliment :)

i remember both those frames and love both of them. the pooky would have been perfect for me if it didn't have the 135mm rear.

i'm not 100% certain but i believe ambiente bikes is out of business. johhny chopper in australia did all the frames for ambiente.as far as i know there are not too many qualified frame builders in australia that could do the work.

here is the info on Johnny's shop closing. it's a shame :(

http://www.johnnychopper.com/