Quantcast

Opinions on Sun Singletrack Rims

Adam W

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
Right, im building up a new set of wheel for the race bike and not too sure what rims to use. Im after a reasonably lightweight wheel.

I have been a keen Mavic user for some years using both the 521/721 and the 823 with no complaints.

I was going to build up my race wheelset with the EX721 but have realised i can now get Sun Rims.

What are your opinions on the Singletrack? They have the same claimed weight as the 721 and seem to have a similar profile.

Any ones used these rims for DH? Opinions please?

Adam

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The Single track is more suited to 4x or slalom than DH. If were you race isn't too rocky, then they are an excellent choice. I can put my Michelin's on by hand with them. If you're going lightweight and want strength I would honestly get the Rhyno Lites as they are better at taking rock beatings. The Singletrack doesn't like to be hit with rocks. I personally destroy them on the rear of my bike, but had hte same Singletrack on the front for 2 full seasons with no problems.

But with me the same thing could be said of my Rhyno Lites, the difference being that the rear seemed to hold up better to a real beating. I'm 185lbs and destroy rims regularly. I crushed a D321 in 1 day last season.

This year I'm going with the MTX rims. Oddly enough, if you look closely on Sun's website, the rims are about 50 grams heavier than a singletrack...BUT....when built up the complete wheelset weighs almost the exact same. I assume since you use shorter spokes on the MTX wheelset?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I think there are quite a few guys who use them as their race wheels. I've got a set (though not used that much) for my DH bike and they work just fine. They're also cheap and quick to get.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I've seen more trashed Singletracks than any other rim. If I were doing it I'd go with 721s, those seem to last forever.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
721s for sure. I ran singletracks as my first DH rim on a AC 2 seasons ago and they tacod quick and i wasnt doing anything to big. I run them on my trail bike and flat spotted the rear somehow but yeah if its rocky i wouldnt run them id run 721s or 729s

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
It's all about the build. I ran 36h Singletracks all last season and I weigh 225llbs. Ran almost the entire Mt Snow pro/ex course with a front flat. Result 1 flat spot but still true. Again it's all about the build. What am I running in 05...you guessed it Singletracks.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
they are quite light.
they are even cheap.
not like the Arrow FRX.
costs nearly three times as much, locally anyway.
but weighs the same.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I've had the same pair on my bighit since early 03. Only one flatspot, and that's my fault. Build it right and they'll last.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
I have also seen many trashed singletracks, Like an earlier post said they are suited better to 4x , I run mag 30's on my race bike , yeah they are a little heavy but nearly indestructable, If you must have lighter weight get the rhino light's I have the SUV wheelset ( built with rhino light's) on my trail/freeride bike, I've been pounding the hell out of them for 2 years and they are still kicking.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
brad can vouch for me on this one. i put a huge flatspot on my rear singletrack the first pisgah ride i did. i think i had like 3 rides on the rims when i did this. well needless to say i dont like single tracks any more so im going with a set of 721's. they had good reviews from everybody hear and there supposed to be indestructible. ohh and the bike setup is an 03 sgs team dh, rider weight 150 lbs and im running 25 psi in front in rear. so from a single track owner id say spend the extra money and get the 721's. good luck man.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Single tracks have held up great for me....I go through about 4 rims per year...not bad at all considering the price...D

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I would agree with BIZ that the singletrack is more suited for DS/4x use. I tried a set on my DHr because I wanted to cut down on the heft..they flat spotted and dinged like no other..I quicky replacced them with MTXs and have not had a problem since. The weight is worth the strength, IMO

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
me 89, what the hell kind of advice is that? You had bad luck with one rim, you are going to try another, so you give a hearty thumbs up to the one you have yet to use?

Thats like saying, I had a bad hamburger it was awfull, I am going to get a salad next time, I have never had one but everyone says they kick ass.

Adam W

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
Ok guys, thanks for the advice.

It seems that the 721 is the way to go then.

As for the 823, i just found the sidewalls a little weak on them, but are still a great rim.

Adam W

Chimp
Jun 5, 2003
I went through about 5 823 rims last season, both back and front compared to 1 the season before on 521.

This is just my experience, and its not that i have become a worse rider and therefore casing more, or riding rockier/rougher tracks.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
yeh the 823 i guess would be your best but some people dont like to buy a tubless rim unless there running tubless. and there are actually people (me) who dont want to run tubless so 721 i guess, if you didnt want to run tubless, would be your best bet.

ohh and smeddford. how do you know ive not had any experiance with a set of 721's. i mean for all you know i could have them on my other bikes (i dont though). or i could have had good experiance with another mavic product on another one of my bikes (that explains the want to go to mavic).and just maybee they have lasted me through 2 seasons of all out hell. just maybee. and yes i went on other people opinions just like adam is doing and im sure that you have done before. also these opinions are very reliable sources not only on ridemonkey but friends who have had experiance with the rim and other mavic products (bike shop employees and owners). so dude im not trying to sound hostile or anything, cause ive done this numerous times, but man plz get the facts straight first. and no its not like switching from hamburger to salad, i hate anything green unless its beer mmmmmmmmm.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Froggy said:
It's all about the build. . .
Exactly.

I still use a sun mammoth on a hayes disc(built by dt/hugi) rear hub that was built by Larry from The Bike Shop in Kailua, HI. He built that wheel for me in 2001.

The rim has outlasted the hub, which has had warranty work for a broken retaining spring ring and broken engagement pawls.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I am 200+ lbs and i try really hard to keep up with fast guys. I rode them on a bike with suspension that worked pretty crappy(ly) and only went through 1 singletrack on the back of my bike a year. They are good rims IF BUILT/TENSIONED RIGHT!!!

They are cheap, so if you mess up in the build, no big deal. The wheel is only as strong as the build!!!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Froggy said:
It's all about the build. I ran 36h Singletracks all last season and I weigh 225llbs. Ran almost the entire Mt Snow pro/ex course with a front flat. Result 1 flat spot but still true. Again it's all about the build. What am I running in 05...you guessed it Singletracks.
Exactly, its all about the build. a good built wheel with preventive maintainence(ocaisionally checking spoke tention) and correct tire pressures will last. I have been running 32 hole single tracks on a hard tail with dbl butt 14/15s for three years of trail, downhill, and mild street. they have only been trued twice and are still in near perfect condition. oh, and I weigh 250 pounds!!!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
neversummersnow said:
I am 200+ lbs and i try really hard to keep up with fast guys. I rode them on a bike with suspension that worked pretty crappy(ly) and only went through 1 singletrack on the back of my bike a year. They are good rims IF BUILT/TENSIONED RIGHT!!!

They are cheap, so if you mess up in the build, no big deal. The wheel is only as strong as the build!!!
exactly it's all in the build....D

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
one more time for those who didnt catch it the first time...

its all about the build. (and having a strong rim helps a little too) lol.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Instead of posting a new thread about this, I figured I'd continue something I found here from a while ago.

Cambria is having a crazy sale on certain rims including the welded Rhyno Lite XL and the welded Singletrack. They're both the same price and both pretty much the same weight.

Bizutch was saying Rhyno Lites are the way to go for rocks (I'm a hack by the way) and is that because of it's square profile versus the Singletrack's curved profile?? Which ever rim I get will be built by the same shop.

edit. BTW, I just noticed you can get FOUR Maxxis Mobster 2.5/2.7 40a tires for $80.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
ChrisRobin said:
Instead of posting a new thread about this, I figured I'd continue something I found here from a while ago.

Cambria is having a crazy sale on certain rims including the welded Rhyno Lite XL and the welded Singletrack. They're both the same price and both pretty much the same weight.

Bizutch was saying Rhyno Lites are the way to go for rocks (I'm a hack by the way) and is that because of it's square profile versus the Singletrack's curved profile?? Which ever rim I get will be built by the same shop.

edit. BTW, I just noticed you can get FOUR Maxxis Mobster 2.5/2.7 40a tires for $80.
For one universalcycles.com 's price on the singletracks are 5 dollars cheaper, so if you have your heart set on those I would get them there. Second, universal also has Mavic D521s for 35 bucks a hoop, which makes their price and weight comparable to the rims you are looking at. I would spring for those if you can since I haven't had very good luck with my Singletracks. A few months of trail riding and they are already sporting two flat spots.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yeah, good find. Their atomlab stems are cheap too. Although for a $100usd order, they'd charge me $60 to ship to Canada.

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
I ran Single Tracks front and back and I've never had any problem. They come stock with my Big Hit and I do a lot of DH with them. I have a lot of people tell me I'm a very light rider (despite my weight of 180lbs) so I'm sure that has a little to do with it.
I love them and I would consider buying them for my next bike