Quantcast

Opinions wanted: Cannondale F7 Disc Bike - 2008

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I posted a few days ago about my co-worker's frame cracking.

He's gonna try to fix it, but is using it as an excuse to upgrade and get a new bike. He likes the C'dale.

Before he buys it, I thought I'd ask those in the know... is there a substantially better bike for <$500? Any reason to avoid this bike?

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
my cannondale race frame had a stress fracture in the chain stay yoke, after 5 years of hard racing, they promptly replaced the frame. id always recommend a cannondale.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We actually sell this bike at my shop.

I don't like most <$500 disc brake bikes. The cheapo disc brakes suck and I rather run rim brakes.

I do believe the Taiwanadales are better made than Treks/Haros/GT's in the same price range. The welds are finished better and that has to be worth something.

Ultimately for a cheapo bike, I think are decent. I would either get the rim brake model though, or upgrade the brakes to Deore Hydros. I doubt he will do either.

mike_243us

Chimp
Jan 17, 2008
hey,
I just got mine yesterday and as I upgraded rom my mongoose this seem alot nicer.
I mostly riber single track not alot of jumps and such and after the research I did the F7 seemed the better of the bikes I did ride the trek 4300 the giant yukon and the specialized model the cannondale just felt better.
if I get the same at least the 8 years aan 2500 miles that I got out of the mongosse I figure to be ahead of the game.

Mike S. first post to this forum....

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
QUOTE=LordOpie;2691413]yes yes, "crank-n-fail" haha... but do they really?

.[/QUOTE]

I always thought it was crap-n-dale myself.. :rolleyes:[

Actually a customer of mine has 3 bikes from them .. he loves them.. he continues to search ebay for any frame he likes and usually buys them...
price wise they seem ok.. but for around $500he could get an Giant yukon. I feel thats a better deal.

or even better $550 gets you a Marin Alpine trail!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Giant......Entry level is entry level. there is nothing to worry about with this bike, But like sanjuro said, I really dislike entry level Mech disc brakes. With that said, wear them out, and upgrade later!!!!! Tell him to go for it!!!