Quantcast

Options to upgrade Fox 40 Damper

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
So I have an 06 40 rc2 and it is great. Just got new lowers on it, stanchions are perfect and the go ride stem is nice and makes life easy. The problem now is even after a re-build it doesn't feel as good as new or like the new 40's. Damper also doesn't feel as smooth and I think it should be cycling it with my hands after the re-build. With most of the parts still in great condition I can't justify a whole new fork. The newer models have a much stiffer feel (compression wise at a similar setting and spring) to me and ride higher in the travel or at least it felt it did. Changing the damper oil is about as technical as I get with forks so I'm trying to find somewhere to re-build the cart. Change the shims or whatever needs to be done, throw in the updated bladder too.

I have found quite a few places in the UK and AU but nowhere in the states... does such a thing/service exist? Would I just be better off getting a new damper from Fox if I can EP it through the shop? I can handle swapping in a new damper but not effing with the internals of it.

Last edited:

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
try doing a search in this forum mate there is a thread on modding them. FYI I added a thicker shim to mine and made them feel a lot better, I ended up being able to go to a lighter spring.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Never heard of this protune service. Any info online about it or do you guys know what it includes or it something I should give them a ring about?

edit: Seems it comes up in google but the fox page for it doesn't work... Anyone have an idea of price?

Last edited:

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
try doing a search in this forum mate there is a thread on modding them. FYI I added a thicker shim to mine and made them feel a lot better, I ended up being able to go to a lighter spring.
I did however it isn't something I feel comfortable doing myself. I saw the stuff you posted however I only quite understand the concept. Not the actual execution.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
The fox tech at the mt snow kenda cup attempted to rebuild my fubard 06 damper but gave me a rebuilt 08.
I think the differences are huge. Enough that I actually need the correct blue spring for my 150 instead of the green (firm) that came with the fork and the older less supportive damper. Right now the fork is a little stiff .

big hits are butter and only use exactly the amount of fork travel needed. no over wallow feeling. the small bumps could be better but at speed you don't notice.

Does anyone have a blue ti spring for a green ti spring?

Last edited:

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
The fox tech at the mt snow kenda cup attempted to rebuild my fubard 06 damper but gave me a rebuilt 08.
I think the differences are huge. I have a green ti spring 180 # and i only tip scales at 150 and i really want to dig up a blue ti spring that is right for my weight.

big hits are butter and only use exactly the amount of fork travel needed. no over wallow feeling. the small bumps could be better but at speed you don't notice.
Interesting but confirms my original thoughts. Does the 08 damper bolt right in? I heard newer dampers needed 15mm shorter stanchions or something? Maybe that was 09 and newer? I think a newer damper might be the ticket rather than having the old damper re-built.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
vince, throw it in the garbage and get yourself a dorado son. mmm no problems and works amazingly well. thank you manitou!

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Interesting but confirms my original thoughts. Does the 08 damper bolt right in? I heard newer dampers needed 15mm shorter stanchions or something? Maybe that was 09 and newer? I think a newer damper might be the ticket rather than having the old damper re-built.
the 09's are shorter, if you get an 08 it should be fine.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
So I came across these guys mtbsuspensionexperts.com and have been e-mailing back and forth with Kevin. Not sure if they price on a per job basis but the rates are more than fair and I'll leave it at that. Getting a full re-build, tune, upgraded bladder and enduro seals for half of what I originally budgeted towards the job. They have a 2 day turn around as well. Hopefully it comes out as planned.

Edit: wanted to ask if anyone has used them before too.

Last edited:

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
your stanchions should have a very slight amount of oil on them, thats what chris porter (mojo head honcho) says, it keeps em lubricated better.