Quantcast

Orange 224 spring rate question

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
Just got my 224 frame with a Swinger 4-way. The frame was delivered with a 450 spring. I'm about 160 lbs with full gear and seeing as the bike has a fairly low leverage ratio (2.8) I think a 450 spring will be a bit stiff. Mojo spring calc. recommended a 366 lbs spring and tftunedshox calc. a 268 lbs spring :think: :confused:

I know there are a few people on this board who ride these frames and i would like to get some opinions based on actual experience.

BTW the frame is a work of art and pics will follow when the build is complete...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i weigh 160lb and i run a dhx with a 300# spring, if i was using a 5th element or something with more of a built-in "platform" i might go even softer.

going with that ratio alone you'd use a 250# spring if you weigh 130lb

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I don't know about the 224's, but I found a way to calculate spring rates for 223's that worked great......

[(Travel/Shock Stroke)-1]*Body Weight=Spring Weight

For example....
Travel: 8 inches
Shock Stroke: 3 inches
Body Weight: 150 lbs

[(8/3)-1]*150=250

Based on this calculator, you'd want a 250 x 3.0 spring

BTW, this was for Swingers, I don't know about shocks without a platform, but you could probably calculate it without subtracting the 1.

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
Thanks everybody! I'll try a 350 spring and see how that feels.

Transcend: are there any clearance issuses with e13 guide and swing arm? I seem to remeber you saying something about that a long time ago :think:

How do you guys run the shifter cable. Are you using the giude holes or do you just zip tie it to the top of the swing arm? I saw a picture of Peaty where he had both the shifter and brake cable ziptied to the top of the swing arm.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yes, there are due to those 2 tiny gussetts on the swingarm bottom.

So far we have figured out this much with e13:

-max 38 tooth (so plastics clear)
-2006 SRS backplate (new shape)
-slightly modify the backplate with a dremel to get it into the optimum position

A gemini backplate may work, but we haven't got around to trying that out yet.

Guideholes, otherwise it looks ghetto.

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Transcend said:

-slightly modify the backplate with a dremel to get it into the optimum position
That's quite interesting cause I ordered a 224 yesterday. What type of BB/spindle length and what crankset do you use. Does the rockring have to fit beneath the main pivot or fits it beside?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dhbrigade said:
That's quite interesting cause I ordered a 224 yesterday. What type of BB/spindle length and what crankset do you use. Does the rockring have to fit beneath the main pivot or fits it beside?
118mm, truvativ somethings.

The bashguard does not need to fit under the swingarm, but the plastics kit/boomerang does This is what causes the size limit.

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
I was told that the 224 has a 83mm BB shell width. So how does that 118mm spindle length work?

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Transcend said:

A gemini backplate may work, but we haven't got around to trying that out yet.

Guideholes, otherwise it looks ghetto.

does this apply to 223's as well? because currently I am running a 36t ring but with a 42 tooth bash...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
223 and 224 are completely different. the frame and swingarm have been redesigned entirely and the pivot is much lower, hence issues with clearance.