Quantcast

Orange 224 vs. Morewood Izumu DH

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Both reallly sweet bikes. I have ridden the morewood and I own a 223... the 224 has a lower pivot point that the morewood and is going to be a tad bit lighter. I havent really dealt with orange but I can say that morewood has extremely good customer service, I have hung out and chatted with the guys at races for hours, they are really nice guys and would definetly hook you up....

I would be biased in telling you to get the orange because I own one...they are such simmilar bikes though that it really wouldnt matter, the only major differences are the lower pivot point and rear chain stays.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
224's are absolutly amazing. I have one and i love it alot, even more than my old 223, and 222. I dont know much about morewoods bikes but i know that you wont be the least bit dissapointed with a 224. The guys at Orange are Super nice as well. plus the Orange is a bit lighter!!

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Well yes...that is the thing....i am wondering if it is worth to pay more for the pivot point, chainstay and head angle of orange (things that in my mind make 0range better for racing).....etc...

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
The single pivot design is nice because it is more reliable in my opinion. not all this extra stuff where things can go wrong. i dont know aboiut the Morewood but the Orange's craftmanship is amazing.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
I'd say 224 because it seems like a more competitive race bike, but I haven't ridden either so my opinion might not be the best.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
SBDHrida said:
I'd say 224 because it seems like a more competitive race bike, but I haven't ridden either so my opinion might not be the best.
OK...I don't ride either bike...but what you just said is funny...explain please. what makes it "more competitive"?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
You are gonna get alot of opinions on this thread that say get the Orange (because Peat rode one) from alot of people who have never thrown a leg over either bike.
For me this would be a no brainer.
I would get the Morewood because their North American HQ's is located less than an hour from me. They go to all the races that I go to, including the US Open and Nationals, they have given me free beer, and I just like those guys and their bikes.
Both bikes are well made single pivots, but I have not seen much of Orange around here to form an opinion on them one way or another.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bizutch said:
OK...I don't ride either bike...but what you just said is funny...explain please. what makes it "more competitive"?
I'm wondering the same thing myself. If peaty made it more competitive, i musta brought that average down, in some way shape or form. :)

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Well about craftmanship.....morewood is know as one of the best in this category as well...as orange...so that is not a concern!!

Well, yes i think that orange is better too, but i am not shure that it is 460&#163;(for frame) better!

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
I have ridden the morewood for a year and been around the Orange as well. In all honesty, pivot placement with today's shocks means very little when it comes to pedal feedback. I was also surprised to find out how nimble the Izumu is with a 65 degree HA. I expected it to corner poorly, when in fact it out cornered my steep HA Turner DHR with ease. Shows what I know about designing a bike.

My vote is morewood and pocket the extra cash for a better fork or travel money.

Brennan

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
I have seen hand in hand both bikes. The Morewood will build up to a true 39lbs with Dh tubes. The Orange is light as weel. the fun aspect I think goes to the Morewood. It is also much much quieter. I think that it is the quietest bike on the trail.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Keep in mind that the Morewood Izimu dh is a race bred bike. Built by 3 time South Afican champion Patrick Morewood. In the past year, 3 us riders were selected for the national team to go to worlds. They were all on Morewoods. I did not see any americans on an Orange. Not to say anything bad about the 224 of course.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have been on both and love true single pivot bikes. I decided to return to racing this year and will be on a Morewood because of the people running the company. They are great to work with and will take good care of you.

Go with the Morewood.......

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
tomvan72 said:
Keep in mind that the Morewood Izimu dh is a race bred bike. Built by 3 time South Afican champion Patrick Morewood. In the past year, 3 us riders were selected for the national team to go to worlds. They were all on Morewoods. I did not see any americans on an Orange. Not to say anything bad about the 224 of course.
I fail to see the logic here.

I personally don't like the Izumi, but the company and people seem really cool. I haven't spent anytime on a 224, but from looking at the geometry and the pivot placement, as well as the weight I think I would like it more.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
You said your located in south Europe? then i would get the 224. it will be easier to get it and if you need anything from orange it will be easier to get as well. Plus, its an awousome bike. you wont be dissapointed with your decision.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
tomvan72 said:
konabiker said:
I fail to see the logic here.

The Logic being based on the fact that the bike is a true race bike. Makes since to me. Both bikes are race bikes. OHHHH more logic.
Well he isn't alone. Why should he keep in mind that the morewood is a race bike? The 224 is an ultra lightweight race only bike as well...

So clarify for me and the rest of the confused souls here, what exactly should he be keeping in mind?

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
The logic might just be in my head! At some point I thought someone hinted to the 224 being more of a race bike. I was stating that the Izimu is on par. I must not have explained it well enuff. So dont worry about it too much. I'll try better next time!

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Laaz, If you are in Europe, There are dealers in the UK, Germany, Austria and Holland . Maybe some of these are close to you and you could get a test ride. Then you can choose for yourself and not have to listen to me jabber!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
tomvan72 said:
The logic might just be in my head! At some point I thought someone hinted to the 224 being more of a race bike. I was stating that the Izimu is on par. I must not have explained it well enuff. So dont worry about it too much. I'll try better next time!
Gotcha, i sincerly had no idea what you meant. Sorry.

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I knew what you ment...but i am so $%$ confuzed, well sorry, i know that is my problem...i have delers/selers for both in my country...so it is virtualy the same for both bikes......but i cant get a test ride...because there are no bikes in stock.....

well i will think and think for some time...and in the end i think i will be satisfied no matter wich bike i will get....

Thanx for your help! no offence!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
IronhorseCT said:
In all honesty, pivot placement with today's shocks means very little when it comes to pedal feedback.
Although I agree that new shocks help make single pivots acceptable in terms of pedaling performance, all the platform damping in the world won't do much to minimize feedback. You hit a bump, your suspension compresses, you get chain growth, and if it's a lot, you'll feel it in the pedals. Sure, you can minimize the amount of that compression but pivot location still makes a big difference. Did you mean to say something else?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Ride Both, no? Then decide? All anyone can tell you on here is the paper specs and geometry. It always comes down to personal preference no matter how you put it. Plus the 224 and the Morewood are fairly rare bikes seeing as the 224 is totally new and the fact that Morewood is also fairly new to the market, so you aren't going to be finding many un-biased, non-team based reviews.

I feel sorry for those who have never learned proper english.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
MOTODH said:
hmm thats pretty cool, is it spring loaded or something? any info:confused:
ha! someone finally did what i had abandonned in my bike design a long time ago. It's simply an idler freely mounted to an arm that pivots about the main pivot. The position of that idler is maintained by the chain tension, allowing the idler to move in a position that reduces chain 'lengthening'. It was actually one of my original premises for the design (and some projects), but never got tested tho. Never published this pic before either, taken april 2003 just after first assembly, the front end didnt get built until later in the year. Parts werent even anodized yet....

Attachments

dhpunk~

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Canada
i have an /05 Morewood Izumi and absolutely love it! the /06 model has a couple solid improvement with a thru-axle dropouts and ISCG tabs. i like the idea with the Morewood FBK (floating brake kit) it can be added or removed within minutes, unlike the Orange it has it or doesnt.....the price difference is huge! buy a spare shock, build up extra wheels for mud, hookers....what ever, this frame is built for the long haul!
im sending mine out tomarrow to be sand blasted and powder coated....gonna look killa!

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
zedro said:
ha! someone finally did what i had abandonned in my bike design a long time ago. It's simply an idler freely mounted to an arm that pivots about the main pivot. The position of that idler is maintained by the chain tension, allowing the idler to move in a position that reduces chain 'lengthening'. It was actually one of my original premises for the design (and some projects), but never got tested tho. Never published this pic before either, taken april 2003 just after first assembly, the front end didnt get built until later in the year. Parts werent even anodized yet....

thats too cool zedro, ahead of your time:thumb: :thumb:

dhpunk~

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Canada
id also like to add the customer service from Margo and Richard at the U.S. distributor are top notch!! was treated like a friend from day one....cheers!

darryl