Quantcast

orange 224?

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Its funny how in virtually every photo opportunity (especially UK mags) Peaty has a can of Stella in his hand or fridge at home.

In fact this thread demonstrates alot of people associate Stella with Peaty, just as much as Orange bikes.

Of course, I am not suggesting for a moment Peaty is sponsored by them. :sneaky:

I mean he is already pretty much the most HEAVILY sponsored guy out there already, surely he has enough money. ;)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OMG, Was this thread stolen from Pinkbike? Take the rider hatred elsewhere. Peaty is a great rider. Do you really think he is 'drunk'? Yeah, he's a world class athlete who wakes up with the DTs.. :oink:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Changleen said:
OMG, Was this thread stolen from Pinkbike? Take the rider hatred elsewhere. Peaty is a great rider. Do you really think he is 'drunk'? Yeah, he's a world class athlete who wakes up with the DTs.. :oink:
Get the stardust out of your eyes.

He considers himself one. Check out NWD5. Something to the affect "I'm not right if I'm not drinking."

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
rider personas? drinking a beer is a huge part of the culture in the UK.

it doesn't matter anway becuase he will hand everyone in this thread their asses drunk or not.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blt2ride said:
It's a prototype frame that is a hybrid between the 223 and Orange's freeride frame. To be honest, it doesn't look all that strong to me...

um...the freeride frame and the 223 are the exact same bike. IDENTICAL save for the headtube.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
I think he meant the Patriot 66 frame not the 223 double D. Both of which are marketed as freeride frames though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Lumpy_Gravy said:
I think he meant the Patriot 66 frame not the 223 double D. Both of which are marketed as freeride frames though.

first page of the thread..i pointed this out. ha. The new frame for 2006 is in the works now, should be ready around xmas. I beleive it will be based on the new peaty bike, but have heard there is various models floating about.

"Actually it is hybrid of a few bikes. The main frame does not USUALLY have a gusset on it at all. It is a weird combination of a patriot 66 FR, 223 and patriot 7."

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
blt2ride said:
It's a prototype frame that is a hybrid between the 223 and Orange's freeride frame. To be honest, it doesn't look all that strong to me...
There are a lot of frames out there that don't "look" strong but they are.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I like Peaty cause we Marines operate the same way, we'll go and run 3-6 miles the morning after a long night at the bars. He rides hard and drinks hard! I can respect a man who'll cut loose in the evening and then get sh*t done as a professional the next morning.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Transcend said:
first page of the thread..i pointed this out. ha. QUOTE]

Then why was it necessary for me to point this out to you 4 pages later :p

Anyway, the guy is sponsored by Stella....... yet people are suprised when he pulls out a can for a photo shoot.

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
The frame is custom made to Steve's requirements, its not a early 2006 frame.
It doesn't look all that strong, because it really doesn't have to be, if you are smooth on the bike. The 223 he was previous using was also built with thinner gauge tubing, making for a lighter bike.
The paint scheme was ment to be a "radioacive" look, but it does look more like a bumblebee...
The helmet is an old TLD D1, the new one was late from TLD so that one was the closer match to the new bike colors...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The bike doesn't look strong????
STFU
What does Peaty weigh? 200? 210? I doubt they got light on the tubing.
Don't forget his riding style. Enter fast, brake late, and ride right thru sh!t

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
buildyourown said:
STFU
When Andy was his mechanic, Peaty's 223 was ridiculously light. Some of those frames sounded like soda cans when you tapped on them (he had multiple bikes in service- including ones built specifically for less demanding UK courses)

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
if theres one drawback to the 223 its the pedal feedback and it looks as though they've sacrificed a reward wheel path to get less pedal feedback

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Dirtjumper415 said:
I always thought his new yellow rims were deemax, he used to ride them but he has switched to I am guessing d521s? But that is sick!
-Peter
:stupid:

I just noticed that too, cuz the rims on that bike obviously lack the DeeMax logos, and they definitely have a braking surface too. Except the 521 is now the 721. ;)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Transcend said:
Peaty's contract with mavic specifies yellow rims from what i understand, but not which ones. Does a deemax rear wheel fit into a 150mmx12 rear end?
You're the Peaty groupie, why don't you tell us?

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Transcend said:
Peaty's contract with mavic specifies yellow rims from what i understand, but not which ones. Does a deemax rear wheel fit into a 150mmx12 rear end?
no. i actually just looked into that and it does not work from what i have been told...i'm not sure what peaty's contract is but i really don't think i have ever seen his bike with anything but 521s. i always heard that he liked the more round profile of the tire on that rim. i have however seen him trying out atomlabs before and who knows he may have had others too but me personally i've always seen him racing on 521s as long as i can remember.

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
buildyourown said:
STFU
it is. he really doesn't punish his bike. last season he used 2.1 xc inner tubes for most of the season, and didnt flat...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
DRB said:
Get the stardust out of your eyes.

He considers himself one. Check out NWD5. Something to the affect "I'm not right if I'm not drinking."
Bwahahahahaha. Do you have clue? It's a frikkin bike video dude. :oink:

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
theres a big difference between liking a drink, and bein a drunk..

he has a laugh, last yr we ended up throwing chairs at each other post Stella, it all got a bit OTT when he moved onto empty bottles..DUCK!

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
and a quote from southern downhill

A little more information on the 224 from the orange site
Steve credits the speed difference to the performance of his new bike which he calls 'Sweet'. The bike, coded 'GBR 224', although not too cosmetically different to his '223' of 2004, is substantially different to the trained eye. The subtle differences of the 'Compact Concept' frame introduced by design guru, Steve Wade, have made significant performance gains. Increased lateral rigidity on an even lighter chassis, (where Orange were already credited in making the lightest performance Downhill frames), more active suspension, less pedal kickback, shorter swingarm whilst retaining the same chainstay length, are just of the attributes that lead Peaty to rave "Super smooth... soaks up the rough stuff better than any bike I've ridden".

Not sure how the suspension is more active, yet less pedal feedback, I would have thought a lower pivot woul mean less active suspension. Any word on how much travel it has?

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Is Stella even good?

I've had my most epic riding moments hung over lol, but i don't see how those cats can race all lushed out, talk about a functional alchoholic.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
How said:
Is Stella even good?

I've had my most epic riding moments hung over lol, but i don't see how those cats can race all lushed out, talk about a functional alchoholic.
I like stella (liked it before the peaty onslaught as well). Those boys are definately functional alcoholics.