Quantcast

Orcas Island

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I will be on Orcas in about a week. Is there any riding? It will be my third summer up there. We are staying at our friends house. Is there anyone who lives there who wants to go riding.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
mtnbrider said:
I will be on Orcas in about a week. Is there any riding? It will be my third summer up there. We are staying at our friends house. Is there anyone who lives there who wants to go riding.
I beleive Orcas Island is the one with the big State park. With the lookout. Lots of XC trails there. I haven't ridden there but I stopped there on a SanJuan Island vacation. I might have my islands crossed....but I think it was Orcas. :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Across the ferry at Anacortes Community Forest Lands there are some great trails, i'm sure you can get a map from a lbs there. Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island is closed to mt. bikes during the summer months.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I remember hearing about those closed last year. Is it because dh'ers. The skatepark is fun, but I have never ridden it, but I have skated it. ARe there any trails w/ even small dropps and lips?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mtnbrider said:
By that fancy hotel on the east side I think, over the hill, is there somewhat agresive riding?
i don't think so, but i'm sure it's to reduce user conflict. i suppose there are tons and tons of touristy hikers out there and they just want to reduce traffic, so they open it up during the winter months for us. i guess half a year is better than being closed all year. :confused:
From what i understand the trails aren't dh trails but they run down the mountain so you get good gravity.

The Anacortes trails are pretty good for XC, there are some pretty techy spots but you gotta pedal to get to em....

And i've heard rumors of trails we don't mention on here on Orcas, but i really couldn't help you since it was shuttle line jibber jabber. Something about clear cut power lines somethin or other. (How do rumors get started?) Best bet would be to nab any islander local you can find and beg for the scoop.
i really didn't wanna mention that though since how i heard about it, i could be totally off the mark.

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
Nothing but private land. (dear harbor)

i know the island like the back of my hand (off and on local).

the power line trail is sweet, its a 4x4 trail gone free ride.

locals only if you catch my drift.

Yo pps,

Orcas Island is one of my favourite XC places to ride...
Everything from the ferry ride, the 12.7mile ride to Moran State Park, the ride up to Mt Constitution and the laid back lifestyle of the locals is always a winner in my book.

Just FYI... Moran State Park, closes most all and best trails in the summer due to heavy tourist traffic. Closure is from May 15 thru Sep 15.

It makes sense and if you really think about it, it works out for the best since most of us do bigger and bettter rides in the summer anyway... we go just before it closes and right after it opens... trails have great views (especially at the top), they are buff, fast and plenty to give you a full ride.

The following are places we stay when we aren't camping...

- Orcas Hotel ... at the ferry landing
- Outlook Inn... bit spendy but awesom if you get the room wth view and tub

hope that helps...

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
There is some XC riding on the north end of San Jaun Island. Find the DNR/ Roache Harbor watershed on the county map. Spent about an hour there a few years ago before it started to rain. Next time I will bring a compas. Dirt roads and some trails. Will spend some more time there week after next. I'll let you know what I find. As far as I know only the locals ride there.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
i've riden the trails in moran state park on a dh bike and the so-called secret trail, it was bitchin', went in january, mid week, no people, but plenty of mud