Quantcast

Ordered a new trail bike...SB66c. Can't wait.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Hopefully be here by the end of the month. Ended up getting the 36 Enduro kit. Should be a bit lighter than the Knolly DT it will be replacing. Little hesitant on the carbon frame, but I figure if it's working for downhill bikes, I should be ok on a trail bike.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Nice, I was pretty set on building one of these up in the fall, but now the carbon Covert has me torn.
I started looking at that one too when they announced it. C.O.C.K. and B.A.L.L.S. is pretty tempting. I had a chance to test out an aluminum 66 and liked it, so figured I would just go that way.

Edit: Also got a good price on the Yeti...curious as to what the build kits/pricing will be for the Transitions...

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I started looking at that one too when they announced it. C.O.C.K. and B.A.L.L.S. is pretty tempting. I had a chance to test out an aluminum 66 and liked it, so figured I would just go that way.

Edit: Also got a good price on the Yeti...curious as to what the build kits/pricing will be for the Transitions...
My plan was buy frame only and build it up how I want it, I'm pretty picky about builds.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Nice. I think I'm going to a single ring with an 11-36 cassette. Might upgrade to X9. I got the package with the 36. I think it comes lowered to 150mm. The only other things I want to change is carbon bars and possibly a dropper post.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I would like to step up to the carbon frame and get the new Fox 34 would drop over two pounds off my current SB. I hope to try out the carbon and the 95 this weekend, should give me the chance to figure out if I really need to upgrade.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yeeeeeeeea. Not sure if that's good or bad. Glad they have high standards or worried that there are issues. Definitely holding on to my warranty card....
I suppose it's somewhat risk free since you're buying new and have the warranty. Only repercussion would be downtime if the frame was getting replaced.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What kind of build you doing? I heard they had something like an 80% rejection rate on the first batches of frames :think:
A light trailbike build. Don't hear anything on MTBR. The R stands for retarded and the b does not even stand for borderline.
The reason they are so slow to come in is just because of how few they can make in a given day, and a ton of them have been ordered.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
A light trailbike build. Don't hear anything on MTBR. The R stands for retarded and the b does not even stand for borderline.
The reason they are so slow to come in is just because of how few they can make in a given day, and a ton of them have been ordered.
It was some local chatter, which could have easily been MTBR...I definitely avoid that place. It sounds like Yeti has had a lot more demand for the bike than they were expecting. I have to say that I feel like I got a pretty smokin' deal on a complete. I figure I can just ride it and change a few things as I go.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It was some local chatter, which could have easily been MTBR...I definitely avoid that place. It sounds like Yeti has had a lot more demand for the bike than they were expecting. I have to say that I feel like I got a pretty smokin' deal on a complete. I figure I can just ride it and change a few things as I go.
For the record, my teammate got a '12 575 with the enduro kit with the same thinking as you, but he has been riding the piss out of that thing all year and has not changed a thing. Their builds are good.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Good to know. I have been riding the Knolly for a while and it is just too much to pedal around all the time, so I have been riding my hard tail pretty much exclusively. After picking up the Legend, I figured I could go to a much lighter trail bike.

SavageOne

Chimp
Oct 3, 2008
SLC, UT
I have really liked mine so far. It climbs pretty well and I have a blast going downhill. I have an X Fusion Vengeance up front and it kicks ass. Super plush, stiff and adjustable (140 to 170). I will be replacing the rp23 this winter for sure.
I was really concerned on fit as the top tube (medium) was nearly 2" longer than my last frame. It seems fine now. I do need to sit really far forward when I climb steep and techy stuff. The 71* seat tube puts me a little further back than I'm used to. I used to know how to climb but being lazy has done its damage.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Only way to do it in my opinion.
After looking at build kits from nearly every company with a comparable frame (SB66, Covert, Reign, Nomad, Knolly whateveritwas, etc.)....none were what I'd want to be fully happy, especially when dropping $5-7k for a bicycle. A few had solid builds except for something like say the wheels or brakes, but if I'm spending that much on a bike I don't want to have to worry about selling the take-off parts for a decent price and buying what I want. Might as well do it right the first time and have no regrets.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The only thing I would probably have an issue with is the wheels...and I plan on using the Hadley/823s from my current bike. The guy I'm getting it from also told me he would just credit me for the parts on the bike and put that towards anything I wanted to upgrade.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
So you are ordering a lighter bike to drop some weight but are using that boat anchor of a wheelset? I can understand if it's a money thing, but losing some rotational mass would make a hugely noticeable impact on how light the bike rides.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The 823s are on their last legs...so I will probably ride them for a while and then use the hubs with lighter hoops. I'm 6'1" 220 and tend to have an issue with wheels...

If anyone has a suggestion on a wheel set, I'm all ears...

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The 823s are on their last legs...so I will probably ride them for a while and then use the hubs with lighter hoops. I'm 6'1" 220 and tend to have an issue with wheels...

Sun Ringle SRD Carbon Disc.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have been waiting massively impatiently for my 66c frame for a while now.
^^^This for me as well.

I'm 6'2" and have been as heavy as 220# (currently ~190#) and have had great success with DT 5 series rims. They used to be called FR5.1D, they're now called EX500, and they're the same rims that come in the EX1750 wheelset (just painted a different color, IIRC). My first pair of the EX1750 spent 3 years on a Yeti 575 getting PISS ridden out of them, and those wheels (same rims) now live on my slalom bike. I've got a new pair of EX1750's on the current Yeti AS-R 5, 2 seasons in and just now needing to get a slight wobble trued out of the rear. Between me and several other friends, we've also had several sets of the 5.1/EX500 rims laced to whatever hubs, used and abused them ad nauseum on our trailbikes, and they seem to just keep going and going.

Last edited:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Egads, that's a lot of seatpost there! I presume you're on the tall side, no? Absolutely gorgeous looking bike with a brilliant build - congrats.
This photo makes it look crazy long ( you're not the first to say this ). Something about this photo. I do have long legs thou ( full pedaling height for me puts the top of the seat 30 3/4" from the center of the BB.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just got a call from the shop. Bike is on it's way to them, so should have it ready to ride in the next week or so...

Originally kinda wanted the teal, but he said those were a month+ out if I wanted to wait or I could have the grey that's coming in....so grey it is.

I can taste it now