Quantcast

Ordered my new trek session today

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think it's great you can buy the bike but it obviously isn’t priced for everyone...I'm not buying it and to some degree I’m in the camp of WHY it isn’t that much better than other offerings.

awesome bike regardless...lets see what happens with the price next year.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
im thinking they've followed the playstation pricing structure. There will always be people who will pay over the odds to have them first. The prices will drop next year id imagine once those people with too much extra cash have been satisfied.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It is sad though that the amateur racer (like me) can no longer afford a top of the line "F1" level bike anymore. At least not from some companies. I guess it was inevitable. Thankfully my Legend is not holding me back in any regard and seems as though it will last a good long while.
This years World Champs was won on a bike the equivalent of a Toyota. Cheap, reliable, excellent part spec, cheap to fix/maintain and available everywhere.

F*ck Ferrari.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I can name a view that cost more than the 9.9 frame,here in my country the session retails for 4500 euros,which is no more than 300 more than the old session 10 frame.

25th ani yeti 303 was near 6000 euro
First gen 303DH was arround 5000 euro
Foes 2:1 mono was 5000 euro
Nicolai Ion G-boxx 7000 euro

so that isn't soo crazy compaired to those frames and they are not made from carbon;)
Are mormons not crazy because they are many?

p-spec said:
seing it cost 500$ to make.

10$ leigbhour max,300 materials,rest in the mold making process
You have obviously never been around any real business if you think that total cost of bringing the product to a customer = build cost.

Not to mention 10$ labour for building a carbon frame in the us? Are you serious? How long do you think it takes to produce one? Really tell me.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
You could also buy a Session 8 for half the price and get a bike 95% as good. The extra 5% costs a lot of money but isn't needed to have a decent bike, IMO. I think it's fine that they are offering their best stuff for sale for those that have the cash.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You could also buy a Session 8 for half the price and get a bike 95% as good. The extra 5% costs a lot of money but isn't needed to have a decent bike, IMO. I think it's fine that they are offering their best stuff for sale for those that have the cash.
nailed it. Plus, we'll probably see a session 9.8 next year for 7K, with a boxxer team on it, and suddenly its going to look reasonable :rofl:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Or at least a non custom Fox fork.
As you probably know more of whats going on here then I, question: does gwin ride with one of them? does gee? blenky? spagnolo? any fox sponsored athlete? Or are they running traditional springs? I was under the impression that fox was a strong believer that air springs were no substitute for coil for DH riding, and it seems counter intuitive to do both for their top end DH fork. I get that trek had it commissioned, but why do it to an already exclusive frame (and exclusive frame price) and further jack the price up more? I mean, people are actually outraged that somebody would charge that much. Know any of the inner workings here?

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
a ferrari is underwhelming and under performing?
When comparing money spent to enjoyment received, yes. There are far cheaper cars available that provide just as much fun for the driver.

Same as an expensive frame like this, buy a Giant or something far cheaper which will go just as fast & perform just as well.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Are mormons not crazy because they are many?

You have obviously never been around any real business if you think that total cost of bringing the product to a customer = build cost.

Not to mention 10$ labour for building a carbon frame in the us? Are you serious? How long do you think it takes to produce one? Really tell me.

I have and thats why this thing is cost effective.

2 I was sure taiwan made chill

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have and thats why this thing is cost effective.

2 I was sure taiwan made chill
Looking at your calculations I doubt it. Even the mafia has more costs ;)

As for taiwan made - they have only a bit lower avg. pay than Poland and no one would build you a carbon frame here for 10$(labour). I know the costs of building smaller carbon bike parts here and even though taiwan is probably cheaper because of acess to tech it is still way over your silly calculation.

Also read what Fraser said.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And the engineering, marketing, team sponsorships etc were free? I know the FEA on a single fork from one manufacturer cost $35 000 on the lowers ALONE. so, ya...
this. and don't forget the $100k+ cnc machine needed to make the molds, time and raw material to make the molds (easily another $10k+), and the other tens of thousands of dollars for ancillary processing equipment (vacuums, drills, lathes, etc)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
As you probably know more of whats going on here then I, question: does gwin ride with one of them? does gee? blenky? spagnolo? any fox sponsored athlete? Or are they running traditional springs? I was under the impression that fox was a strong believer that air springs were no substitute for coil for DH riding
their hybrid fork isnt a air spring. the air is just the preload (like some of Marz's forks) and i believe only the TWR guys/girl were on it

ferrari sucks,get a zonda
silly kids

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
this. and don't forget the $100k+ cnc machine needed to make the molds, time and raw material to make the molds (easily another $10k+), and the other tens of thousands of dollars for ancillary processing equipment (vacuums, drills, lathes, etc)
Not to mention dealer and shop margins. I'm allways suprised when people get angry upon hearing the prices a big dealer or a shop gets. Get a direct order bike if that is a problem. Just don't complain your lahar isn't there if something happens ;)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Whats awesome is I've been riding with these kids at a local mountain on borrowed bikes (think frankenstein bikes) with single crown forks, old ass parts and are most likely faster then 95% of the people who wrote in this thread.

- Needless to say you don't need a 4200 dollar carbon frame to go fast at the AM level.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Whats awesome is I've been tanning with these kids at a local salon on borrowed tanning beds (think industrial flood lights) with single bulbs, old ass fixtures and are most likely more tan then 95% of the people who wrote in this thread.

- Needless to say you don't need a 4200 dollar carbon tanning bed to get tanner at the AM level.
fixed

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Whats awesome is I've been riding with these kids at a local mountain on borrowed bikes (think frankenstein bikes) with single crown forks, old ass parts and are most likely faster then 95% of the people who wrote in this thread.

- Needless to say you don't need a 4200 dollar carbon frame to go fast at ANY level.
Fixed again.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
When comparing money spent to enjoyment received, yes. There are far cheaper cars available that provide just as much fun for the driver.

Same as an expensive frame like this, buy a Giant or something far cheaper which will go just as fast & perform just as well.
Caterham.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
weird, i thought it was full carbon.

that cable routing is so clean yet accessible, they must have had input from one of the greatest race mechanics of all time or something...