Quantcast

Oregon & Seattle Trip Planning help..SST & Blackrock?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So I am taking a trip next month for a week and I get 3 days to ride in between both places. So I am going to stay in portland 1st then drive up to seattle so I thought SST would be the place. Then stay in seattle for a couple days and then head back to portland and hit up blackrock falls city on the way back. Then in portland thought I might hit browns camp or somewhere near portland. I am bringing my GF who is from there but not familiar with these places.

Does this seem doable as far as hitting these places hopefully somewhat on the way? Are these places crazy out of the way and i should plan on hitting up somewhere else? I dont mind driving but we trying to plan a trip that doesn't involve crazy driving hours.

Any recommendations, we re looking to not peddle up hill l but more for freeride flowy trails

If you're in Portland for 3 days, I would hit up Post Canyon at least one of the days, in addition to Black Rock - it's actually a shorter drive, plus shuttleable, so you'll get more runs in. Post is about an hour drive, Black Rock is closer to 1.5 hours if traffic is good, but when I was there a month ago, there was I-5 construction.
Black Rock is superfun but with the exception of the Basic Training area, it's hike-a-bike for a long time before you head down, unless you hit one of the BRMBA shuttle days.
If you want some fun fast crazed DH riding (and PBR drinking) on the pavement on a Sunday night in Portland, you might want to look into Zoobombing ;-)
Plus there are some other fun spots near Seattle, some more legal than others ;-) PM me if you want to find out where my fiance and I are riding on the days you're in town.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Thx all Great info..So you are saying its better to ride post canyon if I am not shuttling? I am bringing my Gf who is an intermediate rider is there plenty to do in post canyon?

Thx all Great info..So you are saying its better to ride post canyon if I am not shuttling? I am bringing my Gf who is an intermediate rider is there plenty to do in post canyon?
Actually, the best way to do Post is shuttling - otherwise it's a LONG ride/push up. You might find someone to shuttle with there but it might be best to try to connect with people via Ridemonkey ahead of time.

Whereas Black Rock is all about pushing up unless it's a shuttle day, and right now the next one they have posted is September 14-15.

Post has Family Man, which is a beginner stunt area with a lot of low-level ladders and drops. Good intermediate trails include 8 Track, which has small drops. And almost anything there has ridearounds. I am an intermediate rider and I can either hit or ride around anything I've found. And most trails are fast and flowy.

(In fact, it's possible we may be venturing south when you're down there, so do PM me with dates and maybe we can shuttle together).

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Post Canyon 1 hour drive from Portland, local bike shop has maps and info, good mix of freeride and single track.

Blackrock 1 1/2 hour drive from Portland, and hike a bike. Well worth it tough. BRMBA.com or somthing like that

SST just of the highway but really short runs, pretty much just sessioning jumps and small drops, way smaller than the other 2 places but its right off the highway and a good place to take your lady friend.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So where else would you recommend near seattle or on the way up to seattle from portland

Also as far as blakcrock and post canyon..should I be wearing my FF or regular helmet

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Fullface for both, there will be many stunts you will want to hit, some of them big. There is capital forest, never been myself but I hear its fun.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Anyone have info on Browns camp...I am looking for a spot for a shorter ride near portland? The reviews sound good except for the guns and dirtbikes. Anywhere else someone can suggest near portland

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So we are set on doing Blackrock, would it make sense driving our car to the top and then riding back up to get it when we are done? Or should we just hike it up and leave the car down. I figured it may make sense to drive up first to check it out since we do not know where we are going? Any thoughts?

BoltUpright

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Bothell wa
There is no choice . Park at the bottom at the gate (even if its open)and ride up . Stop at Santium cycles in salem or Dallas and pick up a trail map . Awesome trails !

So we are set on doing Blackrock, would it make sense driving our car to the top and then riding back up to get it when we are done? Or should we just hike it up and leave the car down. I figured it may make sense to drive up first to check it out since we do not know where we are going? Any thoughts?
You can't drive to the top - there's a gate at the bottom. So you have to pedal/push up.

Tdubb

Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
It's a 45 min ride or 1 hr. push.Lots short pushes from trail to trail as you go down.Shot me a PM and I can give you a tour.

Todd

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I appreciate all of the offers...I am trying to nail down the times so I can make some plans. I am counting down the days ...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
sweet. StunZeeD, let me know when you nail down the days you are riding. i'll be up there on the 14th and riding through the 21st. i'm gonna hit post, brown, and black rock. i'm getting a rental car, so i don't know what my shuttle ability will be like, but we can probably rig something.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
gunslingger - which saturday (i'm up there the 14th and the 21st). i'd love to hit blackrock with a group. i don't get in on the 14th until 9am though, then i would need to drive to the trail :(

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Blackrock this friday the 13th, leaving portland early morn (thinkin 5 or 6 am if I end up going by myself, get any interest I may delay departure) beer, food, goodies all day ridin fun. I could have space for two people and two bikes if anyone in portland is interested. Let me know by Thurs morning.

:monkeydance:

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
gunslingger - which saturday (i'm up there the 14th and the 21st). i'd love to hit blackrock with a group. i don't get in on the 14th until 9am though, then i would need to drive to the trail :(
i will be there this sat at 8am ish.....i gots to get back early as I have people coming over around 6 so we are getting out to the trail earlier than normal.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
so, i'm here and the riding is sick. got lost on the way to post, but got on it by the end of the day. sick stuff. i won't say much or post many pix, as i don't want to bother the locals. i must say, the locals are quite fun and helpful. big ups to trail head cycles and the crew there.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Im out tomorrow...packing the bike up right now hoping I dont go over 100 lbs :( Anyways my plan is to ride scapoose wednesday thats all I have I may be heading to seattle on wednesday so we may hit that on way up. then may hit SST while up in seattle then back to portland on friday and hit black rock on sunday...so what did you like best so far? How was browns?