Quantcast

Organic or sintered

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
hi
I have the alixir cr on my bike
its a great brake system and was good till I changed the pads...
I buy new pads. its "steel\organic"
I found today that they are really not good... it feels like they dont stop the bike...
I check on sram site and found that the cr come with the sintered pads.
so I have to put on the sintered pads?

what is the diferent?

thanks (sorry for my english)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Depends what pads you've bought. I've been using sinthered pads for quite some time and I'm happy about them. Try goodridge.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Generally, organics should give better modulation, but less ultimate power.

Sintered/Metallic should give more power, but sacrifice modulation.

I believe organic also disippates heat bettter? and lasts longer - someone will chime in and confirm or correct that.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I thought sintered was harder wearing. They work better at high temperatures and don't fade. Organics tend to work better at low speed have more instant grab but fade off when they got hot.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought sintered was harder wearing. They work better at high temperatures and don't fade. Organics tend to work better at low speed have more instant grab but fade off when they got hot.
This has been my experience w3ith Shimano Sintered/metal pads versus organic/resin pads. I prefer metal.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
sintered=longer lasting, noisier (squeel), less modulation at lever.

organic= "grippier", faster wearing, quiet. They glaze easier. Mud riding can typically go through a set of oragnic pads very fast ( a few hours)

I run organic in summer, sintered (metal) in winter.

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
hmm
I run sintered (metal) in summer, organic in winter.

organic: more modulation and less quieking and instant grab in the wet
sintered: more power

:thumb:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
what are the pads that come with the elixir brakes? isnt it the sintered?
if so.. the sintered are the soft better pads
I have now the organic. and they are bad.. it feels like it made of metal...

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
As far as Im concern , Sintered is and always will be the way to go.

Now, I wouldnt want to be the bearer of bad news but the Elixir have been known to be trouble...

I have 2 sets of Elixirs which were both totally awesome when I first got them.Things rapidly changed the minute Ive replaced my first set of pads. Ive had nothing (and I have yet to meet someone who hasnt with these) but troubles with these garbage brakes.

I am SOOOO looking to buy new brakes now as they are complete JUNK.I literally have tried EVERYTHING to make em feel like they used to but there's nothing I can do to make that happen.

They both been COMPLETELY REBUILT ( not just bled but NEW calipers, pistons,hoses ...) by SRAM and even straight from them Ive had to bleed them right away (wasnt very impressed of that BTW)

Every single time I go for a ride, I pretty much have to bleed them.I've read numerous thread on how hard these are to bleed and I been bleeding my own brakes for YEARS now so I know every single tricks there is but nothing seems to work for these.

If you play with the PAD contact, you're screwed.If you hang the bike upside down, you're screwed.Ive had several crashes throughout this summer because of a brake failure ( as in no more freaking brake power )

Im so done with these and thought I would share my pain with you.Make sure you wipe your rotor with alcohol, it will help a bit but other than that,well you might be lucky and got a good sets but I'd still hope for the best if I were you...

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A

Now, I wouldnt want to be the bearer of bad news but the Elixir have been known to be trouble...

I have 2 sets of Elixirs which were both totally awesome when I first got them.Things rapidly changed the minute Ive replaced my first set of pads. Ive had nothing (and I have yet to meet someone who hasnt with these) but troubles with these garbage brakes.

I am SOOOO looking to buy new brakes now as they are complete JUNK.I literally have tried EVERYTHING to make em feel like they used to but there's nothing I can do to make that happen.

They both been COMPLETELY REBUILT ( not just bled but NEW calipers, pistons,hoses ...) by SRAM and even straight from them Ive had to bleed them right away (wasnt very impressed of that BTW)

Every single time I go for a ride, I pretty much have to bleed them.I've read numerous thread on how hard these are to bleed and I been bleeding my own brakes for YEARS now so I know every single tricks there is but nothing seems to work for these.

If you play with the PAD contact, you're screwed.If you hang the bike upside down, you're screwed.Ive had several crashes throughout this summer because of a brake failure ( as in no more freaking brake power )

Im so done with these and thought I would share my pain with you.Make sure you wipe your rotor with alcohol, it will help a bit but other than that,well you might be lucky and got a good sets but I'd still hope for the best if I were you...

Sounds too me you have **** luck with brakes... I got my pair of Elixers cr from Rufus, they rock! I had to order pads since they weren't included in the deal. Bought 1 pair of sinistered and 1 organic. Forgot which one I placed in , but the brakes work amazing. I also had too bleed the front brake, and it was the easiest thing in the world. Alot easier then bleeding other brakes, like Formula I think.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
something is wrong there bro. i'd demand brand new brakes from Sram.

i've got 3 pairs of elixirs, and they are all flawless. i bled them all immediately (some with 5.1 some with 600 race fluid). i run different rotors on all 3 - G2, G3 and some magura marta rotors on the light bike. i've crashed, replaced levers and replaced pads. all work perfect. all spend a lot of time shuttling and riding whistler.

i however had god aweful luck with magura brakes.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
hi
I have the alixir cr on my bike
its a great brake system and was good till I changed the pads...
I buy new pads. its "steel\organic"
I found today that they are really not good... it feels like they dont stop the bike...
I check on sram site and found that the cr come with the sintered pads.
so I have to put on the sintered pads?

what is the diferent?

thanks (sorry for my english)
Hmmm, are you sure they're not just breaking in? It takes a ride or 2 to break in new pads, and try not to be to hard on them at first. Just thought I'd mention it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

no offense, but coming from a guy who measured out his HT angle with an iphone to 59 (6 degrees shorter then advertised), I think you just don't know how to work with brakes. I've set up several sets of elixers and none of my customers have anything but good things to say.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
no offense, but coming from a guy who measured out his HT angle with an iphone to 59 (6 degrees shorter then advertised), I think you just don't know how to work with brakes. I've set up several sets of elixers and none of my customers have anything but good things to say.[/QUOO

Offense non taken my friend, many MANY of the people I know uses the Iphone to measure their head angle and I have YET to see a Session 88 sitting at 65 degrees with Wetscreams on it and the crowns lowered.Even tried with a proper angle finder and the bike sits at more or less 61 degrees

I tried severals different set up and love the bike the way it is with the crown lowered.

Oh and by the way my bike is also advertised to be 36 pounds but even after many mods I cant get it lower than 38, doesnt that mean the scales Ive been using are all off by 2 pounds???Everyone says they dent like a pop can but I have no dents on mine? What does that mean?Was mine made out a special aluminum batch?

Does that also mean the earth is going to stop revolve?!?!

What does that have to do with brakes , I dont know , you tell me buddy, now may I ask if YOU have any relevant experience with your OWN Elixirs brakes or if you simply base your facts on happy customers (which in my book BTW if one doesnt even know how to bleed simple brakes, they cant be very experienced riders ) A good friend of mine even works for Sram during the summer, he's worked on them on severals occasion and they still feel like poop...go figured !

Let's see who can piss the furthest: Ive had 85 days in whistler this summer and easily more than to 200 days in the valley throughout the year...Ive had nothing but trouble with my brakes... sure I managed to get a few good bleed here and there, I'd say 20% of the time maybe but it wouldnt last very long.The rest of time, Id have troubles...

How many days have you spent on Elixirs?

Wow, get a life buddy....to go on a different forum and dig some dirt to bring it here is pretty lame, as in LAMO... Some may have had good results with theirs , like I said , I loved them when they were new, so I guess they can be good but Ive had extreme bad luck with Elixir and Ive seen a lot of people with the same problems all summer long.

and here's a few thread of problems with the elixirs and thats just on this forum :

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219201&highlight=elixirs

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221292&highlight=elixirs

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219923&highlight=elixirs

Last edited:

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
hahaha....NO !!!!

But I can bleed Formula Ones with no problem, just takes a little longer than Avids. 40 min vs 10 min
I use a Avid bleed kit to bleed mit Formulas and it takes just a view minutes.
Put out the bleed screw, screw on the syringe and pull the syringe a few times. Ready.
Wonder what you do 40 minutes long :think:

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
The ONEs/Megas do take a little longer to get right but the Oro line is just as quick and easy as the Juicy/Elixirs. Same bleed kit, same process.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Avid and Formula bleed exactly the same.
The bleed port scroos on the Formula Bianco was a hassle, since it was in a pain in the ass location, (Behind the lever) but the Elixer has theirs on the Red Contact knob so its alot easier to unscroo and scroo the port scroo back on when bleeding, but yes im full aware they bleed the same, I used my avid bleed kit on the formulas.