Quantcast

OT: Bay Area recommendations

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Hey :monkey:s I'm coming from the right coast to visit a friend of mine in SF in a few weeks and looking for suggestions for a regional day trip outside of SF. We've hiked in the Marin headlands and visited Tiburon in the past so I'm looking towards Santa Cruz or Monterey instead. Not a big wine fan so Napa is more or less off the list. Like being outside so outdoorsy stuff (hiking etc.) is good or staying in town but don't like the typical tourist traps, so off the beaten path is awesome. She's done the Monterey aquarium before so I think that's off the list. We'll going during the week to avoid weekend crowds.

Suggestions?

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
alot of things to choose from... If you still wanted to go to the monterey area you can rent an ocean kayak or two for pretty cheap. Monterey kayaks will hook you up with everything you need even instructions if you need them. Thats a lot of fun and you get to see a lot that most people cannot. I would recommend moss landing (next to monterey) though since you have more wildlife.

If she liked the aquarium you can always try one of the zoo's. You said outside of SF and i actually like the oakland zoo better. If you leave there without seeing enough animals and wildlife just drive to downtown.......

Hiking you have hundreds of choices, Castle rock in the santa cruz mountains is pretty popular and you have many areas that are used for rock climbing with some cool rock formations.

if your friend lives in SF i am sure they have been to Santa Cruz boardwalk, if not then you should go there.

There is a lot of website that will list many attractions in the area, i would look for one in a search engine and you can see a huge list.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
There are some nice open space preserves of Hwy 35 / Skyline Blvd, south of San Francisco. Nice hiking, beautiful views.

On or near the coast, there's a little town called Pescadero, where you can buy picnic stuff. Nearby, there's a state park called Butano, where you can hike in the redwoods.

South of there, there's the Pigeon Point light house, and then Ano Nuevo State Park, where you can hike out and see elephant seals on the beach some times during the year.