Quantcast

OT - Machine shop in SoCal for simple custom metal work.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Anyone have any suggestions on where to look in LA for some custom metal work? I've got a very simple project that will mainly require a bit of time on a drill press to put some holes in some lengths of square steel tubing. The closer to Hollywood or Downtown LA the better.

I know there must be a ton of stuff in the area, but I'm looking to hook up with someone with a known track-record (and maybe even a bit of a bro-deal).

Bullcrew, you must have some sorta networking connection for a job like this.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Google
99% of shops have web pages with examples of their work and a machine list. I'm pretty sure it's and ISO requirement.
Send them a drawing and request a quote. If the part is really simple, just send them a PDF. If it's more complicated, send them a iges file or a .xt file. If they can't handle either of those formats, you don't want to do business with them.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
might want to try craigslist too especially for a small job like that. Someone might have that capability in their garage.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
might want to try craigslist too especially for a small job like that. Someone might have that capability in their garage.
that is kinda what i was looking to find. i know there are ways to find shops via the intrawebnet, but i was looking to hook up with someone that might give a bit of a bro-deal on a small project, or at least give buisiness to a friend of someone in the monkey family.

sayndesyn, thanks for the offer. i will look into the shipping costs (i have a bro at FedEx) and i might take you up on that if i can't find someone closer.