Quantcast

OT: MX double back flip

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Appearently he woke up, put his gear on and told the film crew to start rolling. They say he did a speed check/visual check of the ramp and tranny, then just went for it. It's in the new issue of ESPN the magazine.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive been watching him since he was about 13 or 14. The boy sure can ride. I remember when he broke his back (dislocated spinal column) and they all said he would never ride again. He came up short on a HUGE double and just stopped when he cased it. I bet the Drs cringe when they see this pic.:)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
and his mom and dad are just cashing the checks for him...HAH!
Too bad he quit motocross. WIth his popularity, moto and supercross would be approaching NASCAR popularity? Saw the MTV cribs of RC last night...straight stock Silverado and a set of tall rims was all he had to show. They didn't even show his track? That dude was outright boring...but seeing that set of #1 plates across the mantle was the best part!!!

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Does anyone remember when he raced the Mt. Snow dual slalom and I think the DH as well maybe 5 or 6 years a go (or more)? The kid is talented, he was ripping it up on his mtn bike as well. He was riding for Specialized maybe?

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
is it just me or is it kinda sad/pathetic that someone was able to land a double on a MX bike before a mtn bike??? SH** a MX bike weighs at least 200lbs. well i'm not really into tricks but as i recall the closest anyone came to landing a double was Timo in NWD5 ...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
wikitypooshlag said:
is it just me or is it kinda sad/pathetic that someone was able to land a double on a MX bike before a mtn bike??? SH** a MX bike weighs at least 200lbs. well i'm not really into tricks but as i recall the closest anyone came to landing a double was Timo in NWD5 ...
Yes, but motorbikes also have engines, the ability to jump MUCH further/higher, and the ability to accelerate the rear wheel to help rotate the bike around; they don't have to be "pulled" all the way round like mtbs/bmxes.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
wikitypooshlag said:
I've seen home footage of a double backspin about a year ago, done by a germen dude a a bikeshow in Germany, old news on a bike.... down a huge ramp, and clean landing on top of a box...

Anyway, still bloody crazy even to attempt such a stunt... ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
schwaaa31 said:
Does anyone remember when he raced the Mt. Snow dual slalom and I think the DH as well maybe 5 or 6 years a go (or more)? The kid is talented, he was ripping it up on his mtn bike as well. He was riding for Specialized maybe?
I remember, in fact he showed up to our local DJ's in Morgan Hill back then (about '97-98ish) on a DH bike and shredded the gnar hardcore. He was killing it on these super-tech 20" style DJ's that Chad Kagy and crew built. He had a super mellow attitude as well.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i would think that with a dirtbike and a steep lip, if you leaned back and gunned the accelerator it would do most of the flipping for you. But still f-in knarly, I would definitly not try that sort of a stunt

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
Other than his obvious skills - best thing about Travis is his seemingly grounded attitude and general disposition...it's great seeing riders who don't have display attitude, they simply throw it down...

...I know a couple of riders locally that have that same mellow attitude - even though they have the mad skills...makes for a great day of riding when you session w/people like that...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
schwaaa31 said:
yup...he raced Junior X....they had a huge dtabletop finish that was way too short. He came into it pedaling and just popped it 20-30 feet out to flat ground and both tires exploded in a double flat....and he just kept on riding back to his box van.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
bizutch said:
yup...he raced Junior X....they had a huge dtabletop finish that was way too short. He came into it pedaling and just popped it 20-30 feet out to flat ground and both tires exploded in a double flat....and he just kept on riding back to his box van.
sounds like him alright. I have a MX video with a section of him jumping his mtn bike. He is damm good too...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Sick.

ANd if his riding skills aren't enough to make you vomit I heard that he started college at U of Maryland at age 16 and had a 4.0 his first year.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
i heard he crashed one of his corvetts at allmost 200mph on some backwoods road..he almost killed his friend..that was a while ago though

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Kanter said:
Ive been watching him since he was about 13 or 14. The boy sure can ride. I remember when he broke his back (dislocated spinal column) and they all said he would never ride again. He came up short on a HUGE double and just stopped when he cased it. I bet the Drs cringe when they see this pic.:)
I remember that, I believe I saw a special on it on either TLC or the Discovery Channel a few years back. They had it on video, he came up short because he was riding into the wind that morning - strong gusts and all.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Jayridesacove said:
I remember that, I believe I saw a special on it on either TLC or the Discovery Channel a few years back. They had it on video, he came up short because he was riding into the wind that morning - strong gusts and all.

It was a 70 footer which back in the day and on especially on a 125 was huge, he came up short cause he brain farted(his own admission) and let off the throttle to early 50-50'd it.