Quantcast

OT: MX front flip @ Xgames

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
Dechamp is also the one of the first to do the frontflip on a mountain bike too. He was a pro racer/freerider for GT & Mongoose for some time.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I heard about Travis racing dual slalom sometime back and he just annihilated the course/bike. The story goes that he just hammered into the last table and launched to flat landing instead of landing on the transition at a reasonable speed like the rest.

He has raced DH on the East Coast for years. He even got TP to race DH at Mount Snow back around 2002 or so.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
its a fullsize rm with modified suspension

also, I think Chuck Carothers will give Renner a big battle for the whippity doodaa comp.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I heard about Travis racing dual slalom sometime back and he just annihilated the course/bike. The story goes that he just hammered into the last table and launched to flat landing instead of landing on the transition at a reasonable speed like the rest.
He raced the 98'-99' Mt. Snow slalom, never raced so he jumped in Sport, the equivelant to expert now. He won easily, but, there was no last table on that course. There was a 25+ double before the finish. That was right before he blew up X-games at like 15-16yrs. old.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
He raced the 98'-99' Mt. Snow slalom, never raced so he jumped in Sport, the equivelant to expert now. He won easily, but, there was no last table on that course. There was a 25+ double before the finish. That was right before he blew up X-games at like 15-16yrs. old.
Yup. But you left out the coolest part. During his qualifying, he just went straight into the double at mach speed, pulled up as hard as he could and gapped way past it to flat ground & both his tires just EXPLODED into a double flat. He just rode it out never touching the brakes right back down the hill to his box truck like ti was nothing.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
yeah, that was the story I was trying to remember. memory has gotten hazy.

Yup. But you left out the coolest part. During his qualifying, he just went straight into the double at mach speed, pulled up as hard as he could and gapped way past it to flat ground & both his tires just EXPLODED into a double flat. He just rode it out never touching the brakes right back down the hill to his box truck like ti was nothing.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Jim DeChamp bites the dust.... (didn't fully commit)

Did anybody catch a glimpse of Kyle Loza's girlfriend? Makes sense for a guy who can do the "electric doom". What a rad trick!!

Last edited:

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
He said he should be okay, He compressed some vertebrae but he thinks the docs will give him the okay for rally. He says it scared the sh!t out of him!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
damn, he ate it hard. Props for even trying it. He pretty much made it.
When I saw him land nearly flat on his back it brought back some memories of a good buddy I saw do the exact same thing (well, not a front flip attempt) back at a local WV mx track years ago. My buddy really got f'ed up with several back/vertebrae and pelvis fractures. However, I can't help but think of how much worse it would have been if DeChamp tried to land on his feet instead of the ass/back splat!!! Hope he's doing alright and gets to ride along with TP for rally.

BTW, Chris, nice meeting you at Snowshoe last weekend. I was the guy on the bus on Friday that you were talking moto racing/riding with.....red bud, budds creek (mx of nations), high point, etc.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
anyone notice jims bike landed perfect and rolled away straight. looked like he had it.
Yeah, thought that was quite the bit of irony. If he would have hung on I think he would have been either ending in a nice chest/chin/face plant into the bars and got busted up from it or he'd have so much forward moment that the would have gone over the bars and straight into the ground scorpion style. He would have landed so far down the tranny that it'd been hard for him to pull it out, in my opinion that is.

Much respect to him for stepping up and trying it though.....many would have caved in to the pressure and nerves of being in front of that many people.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
When I saw him land nearly flat on his back it brought back some memories of a good buddy I saw do the exact same thing (well, not a front flip attempt) back at a local WV mx track years ago. My buddy really got f'ed up with several back/vertebrae and pelvis fractures. However, I can't help but think of how much worse it would have been if DeChamp tried to land on his feet instead of the ass/back splat!!! Hope he's doing alright and gets to ride along with TP for rally.

BTW, Chris, nice meeting you at Snowshoe last weekend. I was the guy on the bus on Friday that you were talking moto racing/riding with.....red bud, budds creek (mx of nations), high point, etc.
good to meet you too.

I don't know how he is going to be able to deal with the pain riding shotgun in a rally car let alone navigate. If TP or Jim reads this, I am available to fly out the to co-drive. :biggrin:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If only DeChamp had held onto the bike...

I about spit milk when Loza ran back out to the crowd and did the chicken dance.
Cutting a back flip....NICE!
Cutting a back flip in motocross boots...retarded!
Cutting a backflip in a leatt w/ goggles on on top of a motocross bike wearing motocross boots 60 feet in the air...not human.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
If only DeChamp had held onto the bike...

I about spit milk when Loza ran back out to the crowd and did the chicken dance.
Cutting a back flip....NICE!
Cutting a back flip in motocross boots...retarded!
Cutting a backflip in a leatt w/ goggles on on top of a motocross bike wearing motocross boots 60 feet in the air...not human.
Did you see him take out the medic?

Sent him right over the barricade, hahaha!

I think Dechamp made the right decision, he would have flatlanded for sure, I don't think there was any happy ending to that one.

On a side note, how much of a bada$$ is Danny Way?

How many guys could keep skating after that kind of slam? (where he hung up), or after the second slam that almost knocked his hemet off?

He almost won it too, b-a-d-a-s-s!