Quantcast

Other bicycle classifieds?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Alright, if this is spammy or inappropriate, a mod can delete it and I understand. But here's the skinny... I need to sell my DH bike to help pay for some ortho surgery... had a bad crash racing and need to come up with $5K for the deductible quick-like. I have my bike listed here and on MTBR, and i really don't want to go the eBay route unless I absolutely HAVE to. Anyone know of other places to list my bike that would be worth my while? Thanks in advance for any help you can gimme.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Just out of curiosity, 5k is a lot for a deductible, there may be a gov't programs to help you. Have you checked for anything like that?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
$5K is a lot for a deductible, but technically this isn't MY insurance it's the accident insurance available through USA Cycling. I was injured at a race, and was shopping for my own plan when i got hurt... hadn't pulled the trigger on anything. So it is what it is, and that's where I'm at.

I also posted the bike on our local race series forums, and am considering Pinkbike... anyone had any luck with those classifieds?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
There's Craigslist of course if there's one for your town. There's a bicycle section on there. I've sold two bikes through Craigslist. I rode the bike down to the subway station, met the buyer, gave a test ride, and walked home with a few hundred dollars in my pocket. Just be sure to meet in a public, crowded place.

You'll get some Nigerian scams in the process but as long as you're smart you'll know who's legit.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
There's Craigslist of course if there's one for your town. There's a bicycle section on there. I've sold two bikes through Craigslist. I rode the bike down to the subway station, met the buyer, gave a test ride, and walked home with a few hundred dollars in my pocket. Just be sure to meet in a public, crowded place.

You'll get some Nigerian scams in the process but as long as you're smart you'll know who's legit.
Yeah duh... totally skipped my mind and I've been surfing CL a lot lately looking for a jorrrrb. Thanks!

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
AFAIK, most hospitals will let you do some sort of payment plan. Usually, they won't even ding your credit if you're late or don't pay it all every month.

I don't know if that is really true, just what I've heard.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
AFAIK, most hospitals will let you do some sort of payment plan. Usually, they won't even ding your credit if you're late or don't pay it all every month.

I don't know if that is really true, just what I've heard.
Hospitals yes, but my fixation was done outpatient at a private surgical facility and they want their money sometime around the timeframe of yesterday! They are being good to me though, and offered reduced pricing since I am technically "self-pay" and now that I have found some sort of coverage (USA Cycling benefits) they are working with me and the accident insurance provider to make it happen. I have three parties to take care of: the surgery center, the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist. So far, everyone is working with me.

I also have a pretty decent health insurance plan now, just a week or two too late.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
D'oh! Heal up quick, man!
Thanks, I've been healing - slowly. I had the collarbone surgically repaired/fixated with a plate and screws, and now 7-8 weeks later all the hardware is backing out and failing. Time for more surgery: either soon and put new stuff in or take a risk and let it (hopefully) finish healing and the take it out completely. Not sure which route to go yet.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Thanks, I've been healing - slowly. I had the collarbone surgically repaired/fixated with a plate and screws, and now 7-8 weeks later all the hardware is backing out and failing. Time for more surgery: either soon and put new stuff in or take a risk and let it (hopefully) finish healing and the take it out completely. Not sure which route to go yet.
Due to your situation(self pay), this got me thinking, is this under warrantee? You would think that with as much as surgery costs, it should be warranted if a followup is needed.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Due to your situation(self pay), this got me thinking, is this under warrantee? You would think that with as much as surgery costs, it should be warranted if a followup is needed.
Hopefully this follow-up surgery is covered under the same USA Cycling benefits. A lot of people bag on NORBA, but if they come through with this accident insurance stuff I'll be singing their praises for sure.