Quantcast

Other trails/Places for light downhill???

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Rob and I are looking for some new places to ride over Labor Day weekend and the 2 days before. I'm in the New Paltz/Poughkeepsie area. We've done Stewart, Blue, 909 and Vassar. Is there any place that we can do light downhill? I have 4" of travel and he has 5. Any suggestions for trails would be much appreciated :)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Jiminy Peak in Hancock,MA is a place you could get away with a 4" travel bike. Just stay on the flowy side of the mountain. (going up the lift, right side).

I'd show you guys around a bunch of great places to ride in the Capital Region, but we'll be up at Whiteface for the DH race from 9/1-9/3....

Jim

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Jim Mac said:
Jiminy Peak in Hancock,MA is a place you could get away with a 4" travel bike. Just stay on the flowy side of the mountain. (going up the lift, right side).

I'd show you guys around a bunch of great places to ride in the Capital Region, but we'll be up at Whiteface for the DH race from 9/1-9/3....

Jim
Good call Jim on Jiminy, you could handle with 4 inch bike (although a lot of fun on the DH). Just don't go after it rains, the mud sucks...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Why not just go to Plattekill and rent a DH bike? Not all trails there are hardcore. In fact, the beginner/sport courses would be totally do-able for you!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I think Diablo would be much more do-able on a 4-5" bike than Platty. Trails are much more groomed, and there are "arounds" for all the big stuff. Plus, stuff is well marked there, unlike Plattekill.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
McGRP01 said:
I think Diablo would be much more do-able on a 4-5" bike than Platty. Trails are much more groomed, and there are "arounds" for all the big stuff. Plus, stuff is well marked there, unlike Plattekill.
Seconded. The pucker factor always seems to go up at Plattekill even on my DH bike, but that's just me.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
bluebug32 said:
Cool, we'll keep it in mind. Any chance of taking next Thurs or Fri off to ride with us? Rob will be here and I'm taking a long weekend :)
What is that the 31st and 1st? Definite possibility; a lot of folks will probably eject early for the long weekend and maybe I can join the exodus.