Quantcast

Ouch! ...Muh salary just got cut 10%

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
A very dark tone to the meeting.

This is not going to make lunch taste very good.

Hell......I might need to start skipping lunch. I'll have that P90X body in no time, eh?

Sucks.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Evidently they have noticed the time you spend on the internet while at work.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I thought you guys have been working like crazy.

One company I worked for laid everybody off for 1 day a week which was freaking AWESOME because in NY I got 1/2 a days pay from NYS Unemployment for that day so I was working 4 days and getting paid for 4-1/2 days.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
GH, you got a salary cut and you're in supervision/management right?

Man, that sucks..how's the market around you? Possible career change to professional dirt jumper?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I worked for a company that did this.

This is the beginning of the downward spiral. They'll keep asking you for cuts until you quite. Or they go under.

Good luck, man! :(
Agreed!

After the pay cut then comes your paycheck being paid in the form of cash and then you go to work one day and the doors are locked and you can hear people inside packing up all the equipment and shredding paper....

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Sorry to hear that bro. you can always come work with me...get paid to ride and play grown up tag :D
Playing tag with someone who has a knife doesn't sound like fun :(

Sorry to hear about the cut Greyhound.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That sucks, dude. Start hawking office supplies on ebay. Maybe dust of the resume just in case, too.

I remember in 2001 when the start-up I was working for asked everyone to take a 33% cut until funding came in. The deal was on the desk at Nokia Ventures awaiting the last round of signatures on this very day.

Needless to say, they decided to hold off funding anyone until things calmed down. We closed the doors just before Christmas when the last of the cash ran out.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I thought you guys have been working like crazy.

That's the building component industry for ya....We're building roof and floor trusses, so its success is directly tied into the housing industry-and we all know how swimmingly that's been coming along lately. In the overall picture of things, we've really been quite lucky to survive as long as we have been and who knows....if we survive the dark times while all the other bigger plants are closing around us, we may emerge out of this teh winnerz.

Kinda like Forrest Gump and Lt. Dan riding out the hurricane and getting all the shrimp.

When the business comes in, it's been coming in waves. So we'll be furiously busy to meet a tight deadline to beat out the competitors' deal, and that's where things get real crazy for us. Man, it's cutthroat out there, and we're fightin' 'em off, but you can only bleed so long.

I got burned today, but I also gotta burn three temps as well. I hate doing it, but that's business.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
(snip) I hate doing it, but that's business.
Oh believe me I know. Funny thing is we've been busy, the mortgage and loan rates are still good so commercial jobs are going and we're doing a bunch of large residential renovations and addition. There are NO NO NO spec' homes being built around here it's all custom or small homes based specifically on what the buyer wants.

The one owner of our company is pretty close with the owner of a local stair making company and he says the guy is hurting bad!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ooof, as tough as that is, be happy you have a job I guess. There are tons of layoffs around here and everywhere lately.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Oh believe me I know. Funny thing is we've been busy, the mortgage and loan rates are still good so commercial jobs are going and we're doing a bunch of large residential renovations and addition. There are NO NO NO spec' homes being built around here it's all custom or small homes based specifically on what the buyer wants.

The one owner of our company is pretty close with the owner of a local stair making company and he says the guy is hurting bad!
I think the remodel industry is really going to take off in the next 5 years. I've often kicked it around in my noodle to give it a go on my own, but have been cautiously watching that market trend to see where it's going. The flooring market too.....there's some coin to be made there as well. But you didn't hear that from me. If anybody asks you, tell 'em a guy named Eddie told you. ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The flooring market too.....there's some coin to be made there as well. But you didn't hear that from me. If anybody asks you, tell 'em a guy named Eddie told you. ;)
There are so many niches in the construction business. The flooring guy we use is a nutt and it seems like he can charge whatever he wants. Thing is he does GREAT work and no 'spec' house type stuff.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Sucks.

My company has just stopped paying for insurance and has opted for 50/50, so I have to pay $250 to stay on their plan. I found the same plan today (no broker) with an additional 50K in life and 50k in accidental death for $166.

I got a nice call today, so maybe my commute will be shortened by 12 miles each way...

Jul 23, 2008
Morristown
I also took a huge paycut this year, about 9% so i definitely feel you on that one. Economy is down, prices are up, and wages........not only stagnant, but down. i'm CONSTANTLY hunting new jobs