Out-of-control SUV rams into house

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/1716716

By CAROL CHRISTIAN
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Photos by Christobal Perez / ChronicleNeighbors gather at the scene where a car plowed through a home in northwest Houston on Thursday. The vehicle careened through the den and crashed into the kitchen, where three women were sitting at a table. No one was seriously hurt.

Sam Carson consoles Sheryl Washington after the accident. Washington said the home has been hit four times over the past 20 years.

Three women were spared serious injury Thursday when an out-of-control sport utility vehicle crashed into the kitchen where they were sitting.

Five children playing in another part of the brick home in the 8500 block of Cottage Gate Lane in northwest Houston escaped injury in the 2:30 p.m. accident.

The driver, Penny Brown Robinson, 36, who lives in the neighborhood, suffered a seizure, a Houston Police Department spokesman said.

Robinson's 14-year-old son said she started shaking and he grabbed the wheel but could not make a turn in the street. The boy suffered cuts and bruises.

Careening through the kitchen and den, the SUV narrowly missed the table where Tanika Copeland, Lavinsha Antoine and Annie Robinson (not related to the driver) were seated. All three went to Methodist Willowbrook Hospital.

Copeland and Antoine had minor injuries.

No information was available on Annie Robinson's condition, but three hours later she was speaking by telephone from Methodist Willowbrook Hospital with family members at the scene.

Sheryl Washington, Robinson's daughter who lives in the house but was not at home during the accident, held a dirty, chipped plate belonging to her mother and sobbed, "We lost some things irreplaceable."

"I feel bad for the loss, but I feel encouragement," she said. "If the children had been outside playing, they would have been hurt."

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This is why people need SUVs. A lighter vehicle may have merely hit the outside wall, rather than destryoing the whole house. Wheres the fun in that?

Lucee

govenor
Jan 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by fourgivn1
You DO have a point.........

'Course, you could go all the way and be driving a full-size truck, i.e., Ram 4x4 with a grill guard on it, and not ONLY take out the whole house, but have a dozen drunken buddies in the back cheering you on. :p
That's what I'M talking about!

~Street Eye~

Chimp
Jul 14, 2002
North Cack
When I was a kid a Camaro went through my cousin's bedroom wall and pushed his bed to the far side of the room (while he was asleep) ... he didn't even wake up. His mom heard the commotion and came in to check out the noise and had to wake him up to show him what happened! Sort of relevant... just my $0.02.