Quantcast

Out of shape, need a training program!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I have become one fat S.O.B. since I stopped riding regularly or doing any regular physical activity at all for that matter. So, I was hoping some of you can help me out with a training program, one that is weekly based and can help me lose close to 40 lbs by the end of my summer vacation. Anyone up to the challenge?

info about me:

I am 17

weighing in around 185-190

and at a height of 5'6 or 5'7ish

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
intensity is not a real issue I am willing to go through hell to get back into shape

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Run hills, find a hill and run up it and back down. 3 sets of 10 one begin up and then down. This also works on foot speed if you do any other type of physical activity. Do some distance running, then do short sprints. Something like a 20 yard shuttle. Do the L cone drill which is you place two cones in a row and then another one to the left or right of the last one

*Cone.B > *Cone.C

^

*Cone.A
Run form a, to the outside of b then go on the inside on cone c and back to the outside of b finish up at a.

Sorry alot of this is more geard toward football, but trust me it will work. Also if you have a bench or something (sitting bench) Stand to the side of it and jump up onto it this will work on explosion and mabye translate into a faster get off on a bike?....maybe........

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I need to set daily goals for myself such as distance or time for exerices, what do most of you do in a single day?

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
the most important factor in losing weight is controlling what you eat. exercising is very beneficial, but if you're taking in more calories you consume it won't do jack.

i would recommend keeping track of what you eat... http://www.calorie-count.com/ is a good site.

you can track your activity and weight too. try it for a few days and see how you like it.

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
Watch your diet and when you train keep your heart rate in the target zone, you want it to be pumpming very hard and with those extra pounds that should be easy.Don't take any crappy wait loss stuff it's no good for you, old school workouts and alot of patients'alot of patients. 40 pounds in 2 months is alot to ask of youself 20 is realistic and I hope you plan on alot of core exercises and 35 pound dumbells to tighten things up as well.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Wake up, drink beer eat bacon, ride downhill for 4 hours, drink beer and eat bacon, ride downhill for another 4 hours, drink beer eat bacon. Repeat.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
As sad as it is cardio/weights and eating right is about the only real way you'll do this. I know from experience that if you can work yourself into running/jogging whatever around a track (it is boring yes) 2-3 times a week for 1-2 miles + on the other days just do some basic push-ups and small exercises with weights things change pretty quickly.

The diet has a HUGE part to do with things as well. It's been almost a year and from dieting and just riding my bike on the weekends I've been able to maintain a weight loss of 20lbs. Just from watching what I eat and riding my bike (and that's downhill LOL). If I could put in more exercising I think at this point more would come off.

Biggest thing was to get into a lifestyle of change eating. Some can do it quickly, others.........well it takes almost a year to get into it. I ate the same things for breakfast, lunch, and dinner usually. Piece of fruit for breakfest, 1 piece of bread sandwich with meat/cheese, baked chips, and goldfish for lunch, and dinner is something with veggies and meat. Sometimes I toss a yogurt in there if I am really hungry that day. I drink 2 cups of water with breakfast, 2 with lunch, and probably another 2-3 before I end the day. I was drinking like 6+ sodas a day before I did all this........now I am down to one a day, sometimes none a day. That's just an example though :) Don't ever cheat yourself though. If you want a beer, something sweet, something you know isn't good for you eat it anyways just don't make a habit of doing it everyday.

So.......in the end of it all, start eating right, watching what it is you eat, do some exercise and things will change.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
Ride your sorry a$$ up Gibralter once a week, get some trail running shoes and borrow a dog and run Jesusita once a week (the dog is to remind you how out of shape you are by schooling you on a regular basis), and then learn to surf/swim/paddleboard to work your flabby man-boobs and gelatin-like lats. After you are fit, come out to Az and I will still work you over on the trails like I was Rocky and you were a side of beef.
Yeah.

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
get a road bike. start out slow and short, build up. next thing you know, you will be doing 150-200 miles a week, 60 mile rides, no sweat. And it will really compliment mountain bike riding. Hey, it orked for me, lost 60 pounds in less than a year. went from doing nothing, to racing XC, cruising 25mph+ in the roadie pace line, wearing lycra...

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
You're from Santa Barbara?

Chase down those ecoterrorists setting up the piano wire on the trails.
They run fast, but once you're sitting on top of one puching em in the face they cry like babies.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
-Road bike
-Healthy balanced diet
-Running
-DH
-Body weight exercises (situps/pushups/lunges/etc.)

SLanD3r

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
I just recently came down from 205lb. to 175lb. (ht:6'0"), in about 6 weeks.

This is the program that worked for me, however everyone is different and it will require some experimentation to find what works best for you.

Here was a typical day for the 6 weeks (excercise: 5 days of 7, diet: everyday):

6am- Russian morning recharge routine: glass of water, jump into shower alternate between hot/cold for 3 cycles, various joint/mobility exercises. ( I was skeptical at first but it works great for me, check out the link below for more info) bowl of oatmeal, some nuts and fruits (approx. 300-350 calories).

7am- 1 hour cardio on the excercise bike (according to the bike, I burn off 1600-1800 calories but that # seems too high, although I do churn the whole hour with the load maxed out at 70-75rpms, started at 30 min and worked up to an hour over the course of a couple weeks), most ppl would probably prefer an XC ride instead.

8am- 3 sets of: 30 push ups, 30 v-ups, 30 reverse russian twists, planks (1 min.), 30 body squats, 10 pull-ups (scale up as needed over time, also alternate between different variations of said exercises).

10am- plate of salad (leafy greens & spinach, tomatoes, avocado, chicken or salmon, virtually no dressing (1/2 teaspoon olive oil and 1/4-1/2 lemon), bowl of assorted fruits (blueberries, mangos, cherries etc.). approx 300-400 calories

1pm- some type of whole oats and grains bar, slice of bread made out of brown rice, vitamin supplements. approx. 300 calories

4pm- same as last meal (loading carbs for muay thai traning)

5:30pm-8pm (muay thai training): 10 min. of jump roping, Heavy bag work (building up fist, elbow, knee,shin bone density and strengthening joints), thai pads (3-5 rounds 3 min. each, highly anaerobic and always come out utterly exhausted), conditioning (various pushups, situps, etc.), more heavy bag work (major bone to bone contact calls for some dense bones)

8:30pm - back to oatmeal, yogurt, random snack. (300 calories)

Meals a day: 5, try to eat every 3-4 hours to increase metabolism

Daily liquid consumption: 20-25 cups of water (I perspire abnormally high amounts; I'm able to lose 6-8lbs in water in a normal day if I don't hydrate as much as I do, most people won't need this much), 1glass of soy or non-fat milk, no juices, soda (high sugar content)etc..., however I do drink a cup of coffee a day (minimal sugar, not hardcore enough for straight black), need that caffeine buzz for those prolonged study sessions.

Daily calorie consumption: approx 1500 calories,

Estimated daily calories burned: 2000+ (erring on the conservative side)

Miscellaneous Issues: the random days I splurged and consumed 2000-2500 calories, the following day I would be able to exercise with a huge increase in intensity.

Also I'm a big fan of complex carbs, in my experience they offer me the best source of energy, and I derive nearly 70% of my calories from them (recommendation taken from book cited below).

protein: seems like everywhere you go, everyones loading up on protein. Average american eats about 5x too much protein, excess protein is converted to fat and sugar (not muscle), protein metabolism produces toxic wastes such as ammonia and ultimately urea which causes your kidneys and liver to work overtime.

As more urine is created to dispose of ammonia and urea, vital minerals such as potassium, calcium and magnesium are lost with the waste as the body dehydrates. So excess protein can hamper athletic performance. (source for protein info: "Eat to Win" - Dr. Robert Haas)

I don't do weights at all, only body weight excercises. I'm not interested in buiding mass due to its cost in striking speed, however I'm starting to look into kettlebells for strength training....

As a side note for you MMA fans, Fedor Emelienenko focuses soley on bodyweight excercises too and does almost no weights if any. He has a really unique workout that I find interesting and try to emulate to some degree.

Hope this helps....

additional sources of info:

"Eat to Win" -Dr. Robert Haas

www.theundergroundgym.com (check out the articles section for the newsletter, lot of free info)

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i was told by doing the above, wearing sweats, that you only lose additional "water weight" is this true or does it help?
You do lose some water weight. But its not bad because you gain it back again naturally. It might just make you think that you lost more than what you did.
Its just a good way to burn fat.

cdrz11

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
if you do swimming intervals you will be in shape...it works about every muscle you have! start out slow and work your way up. for track we run 12 400's (1 lap) at just over a minute with a minute in between and believe me, that gets the job done! but since your not training for that, swimming'll get it done! it also helps to find someone who wants to work out with you, keeps you motivated...

good luck...fatty! :busted: hah

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I have become one fat S.O.B. since I stopped riding regularly or doing any regular physical activity at all for that matter. So, I was hoping some of you can help me out with a training program, one that is weekly based and can help me lose close to 40 lbs by the end of my summer vacation. Anyone up to the challenge?

info about me:

I am 17

weighing in around 185-190

and at a height of 5'6 or 5'7ish
Eat 500 calories less per day, that what your body requires, and you will start losing 1lb per week.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you want, I can photoshop a picture of you and make you thinner. You can put it in your room for motivation. I did that for my uncle. :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Buy an XC or road bike and ride every day. Take in less calories than consumed. That about sums it up for pure fat loss.

I'm back down to where I was (6'0 165lbs) when I was racing XC three years ago after six months of bike messengering, but I still have a spare tire that won't seem to go away...Just a small ring of gut flab that holds on, even after riding between 25-60 miles a day 4 days a week. It doesn't slow me down, but just annoys me. Not to hijack, but anyone have any suggestions? Would hitting the gym and working my abdomen help?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Buy an XC or road bike and ride every day. Take in less calories than consumed. That about sums it up for pure fat loss.

I'm back down to where I was (6'0 165lbs) when I was racing XC three years ago after six months of bike messengering, but I still have a spare tire that won't seem to go away...Just a small ring of gut flab that holds on, even after riding between 25-60 miles a day 4 days a week. It doesn't slow me down, but just annoys me. Not to hijack, but anyone have any suggestions? Would hitting the gym and working my abdomen help?
simply put, could it hurt?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
No, but riding 6 days a week kinda drains the motivation for such a thing... :(
also a good point. maybe first thing in the morning it would help to start doing some push ups and sit ups. i'm sure you have the cardio from your riding but the other stuff will help with the gut and overall riding strength and ability. after hitting the gym this spring i've definitely noticed alot of the benifits in every day life and my riding.

i'd certainly suggest you do whatever you can manage.