Quantcast

outside sales??

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Hey guys, I just recently signed with KMC Bicycle Chain as an outside sales rep on the east coast (fist pump). Tomorrow will be my first day visiting shops, do any of you guys have some good advice for me? I already called and made my first visit set up, that I know is important, to call the shop ahead of time to set up a meeting time. Anything else would be great!

Thanks
Yuro.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Check the weather. If you're going to be outside the whole time, you're going to want to know if you need to bring like a jacket or something.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Don't try to replace a line they carry - approach it as additional selection for their customers. Make a point of getting to know the shop and where your products will fit in. Be prepared to visit the same shops multiple times before setting up an account, building professional relationships is the first step.

Also don't speak poorly about other shops or product lines.

Good luck!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
-never talk about religion/politics.
-schedule visits to customer 2 weeks in advance
-confirm appt the day before
-have literature and or product info for their salesman
-make meetings productive

i did outside sales for 6 years. it sucks.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Suggesting how would be helpful. :)
outside sales really isnt something you can teach in a few posts.

edit:
-write a agenda and discuss said agenda with the dealer. mapping out what you want to talk about with the dealer really helps.

are you only selling chains??

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Treat your customers like you would want to be treated, in other words: learn how to suck and smile when they blow it in your face.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
I don't know if it is just my case, but i RARELY order anything during a rep's visit. I usually tell them right away that i'll order whenever i see fit.

Focus on what's new and what has been out of stock and may be of interest to your customer.
Take a look at the stores, ask questions and listen to what the buyer has to say.
Suggest your hot selling items or whatever you know they could be selling well. If those suggestions bring them money, you'll be one step closer to gaining their trust.

If you are trying to sell some over stock, discontinued products or anything along those lines, be honest about it. The sales rep i buy the most from once offered me some pretty good disconuts on some brand's products. I asked him if they were tring to get rid of old stock to buy some new models, if they were cutting ties with that brand or if there was somethig else going on. He told me everything was fine. My spider sense told me not to buy, and two weeks later i found out who that brand's new distributor was. Needless to say, i no longer trust that guy like i did before.

Product sample: Always bring some of your best products with you. Either to show, lend or give to your customers. I often find myself ordering one or two products just to be able to see or try them and decide if i'm willing to give them a shot.

Try to make the sales and mechanics staff like your products. If they like them, you'll quickly notice how your sales volume grows.

I really hope these suggestions may help you
I'll try to post more ideas later.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Try to make the sales and mechanics staff like your products. If they like them, you'll quickly notice how your sales volume grows.
This x100. You can look at a massive increase in sales if the sales force gets behind your product. Similarly if the sales force doesn't like your product, it'll just sit there, no matter how awesome it is...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
coffee and donuting the sales team is a must. after you spend time with the buyer or owner, the rest of your time should be spent with the sales/service team

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Lunch...and send me a gold 10spd chain so I can use it as bargaining power with my Specialized rep. He wanted one and when I came home to look for it, I found that someone screwed me and I didn't have one anymore. :(

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
btw - I found my gold chain, so I won't need any rep to set me up. ;)

Honestly - show your product and make sure they know they can reach you to solve ANY issues that arise. It's that simple. The relationships will grow from there.

and good luck.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Great info guys, thanks! luckily I dont have to make a sale to make money. So it should be pretty easy going the first few visits which will be nice. Im not gonna bring coffee and donuts my first visit to shops lol thats just weird. :rofl:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Sales is not about selling things, sales is about selling yourself and building relationships.

Join the shop for their group rides from time to time, stop by with their favorite beers, grab some donuts once in a while, etc.

You're best customer's will be the guys who can relate to you.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
thats not weird. who doesnt like coffee and donuts?? ive opened up tons of dealers just by bringing them lunch and or coffee and donuts.
...but I bet that's after you've built up relationships. Someone walking in cold with coffee and donuts looks suspect. It says to me that they want something and don't want to take the time to build up trust.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Talk with a funny accent and wear a big hat! That way they remember you!

"Hey remember that sales guy with the funny accent and big hat?"
"Yeah! I sure do!"
My rep button is in purgatory.

I'll tell you what I told the doctor who did my trache-surgery as I was wheeled into the operating room: "don't fvck up."

wyatt79m

Chimp
Dec 30, 2007
Well, bring me a free chain, and I'll try like hell to move your chains over other brands... If it's what I'm riding with, and it's not crap then I'll recommend that over something I'm not using.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
well today went swell, I swear everytime I left a shop I felt like I was missing something.... Almost as if that was too easy and I still have yet to do the hard part... hmmm I guess time will tell huh?

Thanks for the advice and laughs! :thumb:

Keep it pinned!!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
lol oops! nah I dont sell direct to the dealer, I just further the dealers knowledge on the brand/product and they order the product through a distributor.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
That's how it's done in dirty jerz.

Walks into shop
RM guy: Hey, got any KMC chains?
Shop guy: Nah, man, we don't carry them
RM guy: Too bad.
Let's 'em have it Joe Pesci-style with said brand