Quantcast

P2P for Macs

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
I just got my powerbook, and was wondering if anyone else with a mac knew of a fast/reliable P2P program for file sharing, without spyware.

Thanks - sorry if this isnt appropiate

Byron

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
Poisoned is pretty decent too. Macs don't really have spyware. at least not in the same capacity as PC's. Not a big enough market to write that crap I guess!

you can search for poisoned on versiontracker. Also check out Bit Torrent, which is alot better than standard P2P stuff.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yup. poisoned is the way to go. Tomato Torrent is my bittorrent client of choice.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so if one was about to buy a mac but had some reservations because the lack of available "free software" one of those could provide the appropriate means to get that software? :sneaky:

did i tread light enough?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Yes, but Adobe (and others) are making it more difficult to demo their software. The smarter you are, the easier life becomes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
pirating software over the internet is a bad idea, both mac and pc. steal it from a lab computer at school if you insist on doing something illegal (altho i suppose if you're at school you can get academic pricing on it already). moral of the story: don't be cheap if you're in school, and don't whine if you get prosecuted or download a trojan if you try to pirate from unknown sources.

(and yes, there was one "trojan" for os x, in quotes since it was ridiculous: a 100kB script named as "Office 2005" or something like that. you have to be _really_ dumb to think office is that small first off...)

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Limewire

Tomato Torrent (courtesy of Toshi). Don't forget that there's nothing anonymous about bittorrent (or any of them, really, but BT is very easy to track) so be careful.

there's also an e-donkey client for OS X but i've found it takes forever to download anything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
well, if you don't like poisoned and are content with just gnutella then at least switch to acquisition...

http://www.acquisitionx.com/

ugh. looks like the author has gone shareware? nvmd if so. that's a dumb idea if i've ever seen one: asking people to pay money for a program whose implied purchase is to steal others' intellectual property.