Quantcast

Pacific Northwest in March

Sep 9, 2004
richmond, va
I'm planning a drive from southern California all the way to BC, then back down through Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado. What I need to know is if there's anything to ride in March (when I'll be heading that way). I have a feeling that there will be too much snow on the ground, so I'm bringing my board, but I'd honestly prefer to do some riding instead.

So what do you guys and gals from that area think? Is there any riding to do in that part of the year or should I just strap on my snowboard and forget about the bike? Thanks!!!

BTW, this is what I'm driving there (on vegetable oil):

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There's pretty good opportunity for riding in March. Not much mountain opportunity for riding, but enough to justify a bike.

Ask the Portland area folk of opportunities in Oregon and Southwest Washington State.

As you head up 5 you have a good trails system at Capitol Forest South of Olympia.

Dig through this website for trail maps and possibly establish a contact for a ride guide.

http://www.capitolforest.com/friendsofcapitolforest.html

Other riding options if you head up the peninsula are Banner Forest for twisty meandering XC
Green Mountain for rocky bermy moto woodsy trails with some gravity
Near or in Seattle:
South Seatac Flowpark for jumps and sub-par XC

Colonnade mostly Little bit of everything, is open and good

Northwest Washington State

In Anacortes you have ACFL Anacortes Community Forest Lands
Great lowland XC, rugged, nice forest, good trails.

A unique experience on Orcas Island at Mount Constitution/Moran State Park. Expensive ferry boat ride, easy trails, but pristine forest trail riding, and mountain top island view.

Look up for more info here:
http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Last stop before Canada you have Galbraith XC to Freeride

http://www.whimpsmtb.com/

Unless we're experiencing constant downpour, you'll find trails can be ridden with much less worry of erosion than what your used to in Low Cali. So we can ride here all year long

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2004
richmond, va
Cool. I'll definitely dive into these links to find some good spots. Keep the info coming if anyone has some favorite spots to share. Also, if anyone wants to meet up for one of their local rides I'd be stoked to come along instead of poking around in the woods on my own.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
By March the snow will be gone for the most part in the lower to almost top of Capitol Forest in Olympia. You can catch a ride almost any day of the week but here are the regulars:

Area Rides

Monday Night at 6PM
Good waterproof bright light system now needed !!
Ride route picked day of ride. Pace varies.
Ride is usually 1 to 2 hours including the stand around and chat time.
Pace:This ride is intended to be beginner friendly at a recreational pace.
Meet at the Y (Intersection of Sherman Valley Rd and Middle Weddell Rd)
Ride Leader: Rachel mtnbikefun@yahoo.com

Tuesday Night 6PM
Flashy front and rear lights advised. Heavy rain will cancel.
Ride route will be random collection of stairs, walls, ledges, and curbs. 1 to 3 hours.
Pace:Stop and go hits of various objects to practice skills on.
Meet at The Bike Stand, Olympia
Ride Leader: Jody soulbikes@gmail.com

Wednesday Night at 6PM
Good waterproof bright light system now needed !!
Ride route picked day of ride.
Pace varies.
Ride is usually 1 to 2 hours including the stand around and chat time.
Meet at the Y (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Olympia&1s=WA&1y=US&1l=47.038101&1g=-122.899399&1v=CITY&2c=Olympia&2s=WA&2a=[9212-9299]+Sherman+Valley+Rd+SW&2z=98512&2y=US&2l=46.94965&2g=-123.07245&2v=STREET)
Ride Leader: David davidsride@yahoo.com

Thursday Night 6PM
Flashy front and rear lights advised.Heavy rain will cancel.
Ride route will be random collection of stairs, walls, ledges, and curbs. 1 to 3 hours.
Pace:Stop and go hits of various objects to practice skills on.
Meet at Joyride Bike Shop, Lacey
Ride Leader: Jody soulbikes@gmail.com

Saturday 9AM
Ride route picked day of ride. Pace varies. Usually 15 plus riders.
Ride is usually 1 to 3 hours including the stand around and chat time.
Meet at the Y (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Olympia&1s=WA&1y=US&1l=47.038101&1g=-122.899399&1v=CITY&2c=Olympia&2s=WA&2a=[9212-9299]+Sherman+Valley+Rd+SW&2z=98512&2y=US&2l=46.94965&2g=-123.07245&2v=STREET)
(1st Sat of every month is trail work day 9AM to 3PM)
Ride Leader: David davidsride@yahoo.com

Sunday at 9AM
Some folks show on Sunday regularly now instead of Saturday
Ride Leader: Who ever shows and wants to lead.

Sunday at 9AM
Shuttle or other Freeride DH activity.
Ride route is randomly decided when you show
Meet at Bike Tech
Ride Leader Justin Self justinselfdesigns@yahoo.com

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Like Skookum said, Galbraith in Bellingham (WA) is a great place. Except for right now as it is covered in more snow than usual, it's almost always clear. We haven't had this much snow lasting this long in years...
A lot of people here ride and it won't be hard to find people to connect with to show you the mountain. PM me, if you want.

Nice bus!

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
We were up there for a night road shredding ralley, (which was sooo sick BTW) on Friday and Saturday. They plowed the road because they are logging up there (or trying to), so the road was table-flat, no ruts, compact snow with 3-6 inches of dry pow on top and to top it off 3 ft high berms on both sides. You could spin out your biggest gear and drift (predictably) everywhere. Oversteer and get a face-shot.

That's the good news, the bad news is that there is about 1.5 ft at the top of the shuttle. I'll keep updates on the conditions. We'll have one weekend of clean-up once the snow is gone.
ST

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
We were up there for a night road shredding ralley, (which was sooo sick BTW) on Friday and Saturday. They plowed the road because they are logging up there (or trying to), so the road was table-flat, no ruts, compact snow with 3-6 inches of dry pow on top and to top it off 3 ft high berms on both sides. You could spin out your biggest gear and drift (predictably) everywhere. Oversteer and get a face-shot.

That's the good news, the bad news is that there is about 1.5 ft at the top of the shuttle. I'll keep updates on the conditions. We'll have one weekend of clean-up once the snow is gone.
ST
That sounds like a damn good time...sooooooo jealous. IFO have had my quota of snow-related fun for the year and am anxious to get back to being dirty again.

Is there a tentative date set for March?

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
suggestion ride your local trails and save money or come over to Spain and ride some of the best van assisted riding I've done, super techy downhill in Bubion, greg minars personal dh track in Granada or some sweet light FR in Malaga. I won't be riding in W state anytime soon. Theres a whole nother world of riding out there, besides W state. I will continue to travel for the trails and leave all the political crap back in W state a place I used to call home. Peace Dhswitchbacks in Spain baby

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
If you're into downhill,our clubis putting on a shuttle day on March 8th. They are always a blast.[
www.olympicdirtsociety.blogspot.com

QUOTE=firstbornbikes;3131035]I'm planning a drive from southern California all the way to BC, then back down through Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado. What I need to know is if there's anything to ride in March (when I'll be heading that way). I have a feeling that there will be too much snow on the ground, so I'm bringing my board, but I'd honestly prefer to do some riding instead.

So what do you guys and gals from that area think? Is there any riding to do in that part of the year or should I just strap on my snowboard and forget about the bike? Thanks!!!

BTW, this is what I'm driving there (on vegetable oil):

[/QUOTE]

Sep 9, 2004
richmond, va
I moved around some thing and should be able to get to Port Angeles by the 8th. I'll hit you guys up online before I head out. My tentative schedule's at the bottom of my blog if anyone has some helpful tips - I'm definitely open to changing it around in order to get the most riding possible.

Also, I heard from a friend that Hood River, OR is worth checking out. Is there anyone that would like to join me for a ride and show me some fun trails?

Last edited: