Quantcast

Pads; Which ones?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
So Right now I am looking for some pads. Specifically an upper body suit. Or at least a chest/back protector and some arm pads. I need something that provides good protection, has removable arm sections (able to remove the whole arm and make it a vest) and it needs to be relatively affordable and comfortable.

I am looking mainly at the 661 Pressure suit SP1. Does that have removable arms? and what are peoples opinions on this suit? If you think there is something better please let me know.

Thanks,
-Elijah

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
I am also looking into some new armor..... In a toss up between 661's new Pressure Suit Pro or a Dianese next jacket.....

Anyone have info on the 661 Pressure Suit Pro?

Pete

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
pbskis14 said:
I am also looking into some new armor..... In a toss up between 661's new Pressure Suit Pro or a Dianese next jacket.....

Anyone have info on the 661 Pressure Suit Pro?

Pete
The 661 website would be the best place to start.

And I forgot to mention I already had a flakjacket and did not like it.

Edit: I just took a look at the rockgardn flak vest. That is exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone have any info about it? The problem I had with the flakjacket was how constricting it was and that the shoulder area was tight.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I have the 661 Pressure Suit. It's a nice piece of armor, very protective and relatively comfy, however the arms aren't removable. But it's available in 2 versions, a torso and full-arm one and a torso and half-arm one. They also sell some torso-only pads which could be combined with elbow pads.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Kanter is right, 661 does run a bit big. I'm 5'11, 165, and I'd have to wear somewhere between a M and a S to get the jackets right.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The new Rockgardn stuff is awesome. It's way better than the old stuff. It's more breathable, has a better fit, and has removable arms. I would recommend it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I think I am going to go with the rockgardn flak vest.

And since when is dainese anywhere near affordable?

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
The new SixSixOne Pro Pressure suit is a huge improvement over the previous models. It is much more like the Dainese in that it is beathable and fits more snug. It's also different from the Dainese in that it is affordable. Go SixSixOne.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I am not sure why everyone says Dainese is so expensive. It isn't that dramatic anymore. A decent suit costs what, $200 from most or the other manufacturers?

You can get the Gladiator from Dainese for about $250 or so if you look around. The safety jacket (and it's multiple varieties) are closer to $335+

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Transcend said:
I am not sure why everyone says Dainese is so expensive. It isn't that dramatic anymore. A decent suit costs what, $200 from most or the other manufacturers?

You can get the Gladiator from Dainese for about $250 or so if you look around. The safety jacket (and it's multiple varieties) are closer to $335+
I am looking mainly for a vest. As far as I know dainese doesn't make one. And at 100 dollars the rockgardn vest is very nice.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bballe336 said:
I am looking mainly for a vest. As far as I know dainese doesn't make one. And at 100 dollars the rockgardn vest is very nice.
They do! They actually make a ton of stuff no one has ever heard of. I should create a PDF of the catalog and post it one day, but its 200+ pages. They make a great selection of safety as well as technical clothing. The pricing has come down a fair amount in recent years.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
bballe336 said:

Oh your looking for a chest protection now.

You first said.

bballe336 said:
Specifically an upper body suit. Or at least a chest/back protector and some arm pads.
As for Dainese being expensive it is a little more but it IS that much better.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Kanter said:
Oh your looking for a chest protection now.

You first said.

As for Dianese being expensive it is a little more but it IS that much better.
I said I wanted mainly back and chest protection. I specifically wanted a suit with removable arms. Do not twist my words if you cannot be at all helpful.

Transcend: I would be interested in seeing what dainese has as far as vests. Do you have a link or more info?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bballe336 said:
I said I wanted mainly back and chest protection. I specifically wanted a suit with removable arms. Do not twist my words if you cannot be at all helpful.

Transcend: I would be interested in seeing what dainese has as far as vests. Do you have a link or more info?
I've got it all in paper catalogs. I have a few errands to run tonight, but I'll try scanning a bit of it tonight when i get back. Probably around 10 eastern.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Wow, I thought I was helpful. I gave you websites even. Whatever. Why is everyone in such a bad mood today. I didnt twist any of your words around that was your direct quote. "Specifically an upper body suit"

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Transcend said:
I've got it all in paper catalogs. I have a few errands to run tonight, but I'll try scanning a bit of it tonight when i get back. Probably around 10 eastern.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Kanter said:
Wow, I thought I was helpful. I gave you websites even. Whatever. Why is everyone in such a bad mood today. I didnt twist any of your words around that was your direct quote. "Specifically an upper body suit"
You are trying to make me look like I am contradicting myself. Which I am not doing. Thanks you for the links I didn't even see that post. Sorry for being an ass.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
No worries. Just be a little clearer next time. It took like 10 post till we actually knew what you were looking for. Ive used or seen all armor and I can tell you that Dainese is the best. If you notice a lot of companys are making their armor more and more like Dainese. There is a reason. Like Transcend said, Dainese makes a lot of armor that people dont even know about. Do a few internet searches and you will be amazed at what you find.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Problem is their bike stuff is SUPER rare. You can search and find lots of dainese stuff, but it will be mostly moto and some snowboard. Their bike line is the hardest to find. Luckily they sent me a complete line catalog this year.

That said, I can pretty much special order anything from them so I have a good collection of fun stuff.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Transcend said:
Problem is their bike stuff is SUPER rare. You can search and find lots of dainese stuff, but it will be mostly moto and some snowboard. Their bike line is the hardest to find. Luckily they sent me a complete line catalog this year.

That said, I can pretty much special order anything from them so I have a good collection of fun stuff.

Do you have a link to there complete bike stuff? You said it was super long but I would love to look at it. Ive seen a lot of their stuff but I KNOW I havent seen it all.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Transcend said:

I am really interested in two of the vests on their site; the Impact Armor and the Wave Waistcoat. Do you have pricing info on either of those? And do you have fit info on it? Like recommended measurements so I can figure out what size I would need.

I am looking at those and the the rockgardn flakvest...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bballe336 said:
I am really interested in two of the vests on their site; the Impact Armor and the Wave Waistcoat. Do you have pricing info on either of those? And do you have fit info on it? Like recommended measurements so I can figure out what size I would need.

I am looking at those and the the rockgardn flakvest...
I think I actually have the Wave's in stock, don't even know what the impact is. I'll get back to you tonight, I'm outta here in about 10 minutes.

1am - got in later then expected before and cant find my scanner drivers. Will post tomorrow.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
AusRottenVirus said:
The new SixSixOne Pro Pressure suit is a huge improvement over the previous models. It is much more like the Dainese in that it is beathable and fits more snug. It's also different from the Dainese in that it is affordable. Go SixSixOne.
Chris! Do you have any of these in stock?...I can't figure out my size.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
everyone here should be saying rockgardn (do a search you will see everyone who has asked this question got a flak jacket from rockgardn)

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Hey, if you wanted something without arms, the Mace Swat Jacket offers tons of protection. Gets a little warm though, even for a short sleeve jacket.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
You only get what you pay for but and dainese is the best.For protection upper body anyway its awesome but I always found there knee pads fall apart pretty quick when used alot

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
zmtber said:
everyone here should be saying rockgardn (do a search you will see everyone who has asked this question got a flak jacket from rockgardn)
If you had read the thread I said that I already had a flakjacket and did not like it. I am hesitant to buy the flakvest and would rather go with the dainese but am waiting on pricing information.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zmtber said:
Many people find rockgardn too heavy and too hot. It is a good product that protects well, but this is where that extra dainese money kicks in.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Dainese racecut is way better than both of the 661 jackets I had. Although the new 661 jacket looks like a direct ripoff of Dainese so maybe it will work better. About time some other companies learned what people want. Same thing has finally happened with the design of the D2 helmet in terms of other companies ripping it off. Seems some exceptionally slow people work for protection companies....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I picked up an '06 Rockgardn flakjacket. Its a huge improvment from previous models. Its a breathable mesh and the armor has more vents. I like the removable elbows that can be used individually. I can't speak for protection since falling hurts and I tend to avoid it ;)

While prior Rockgardn stuff has fallen short, this jacket is pretty damn sweet.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sayndesyn said:
Dainese racecut is way better than both of the 661 jackets I had. Although the new 661 jacket looks like a direct ripoff of Dainese so maybe it will work better. About time some other companies learned what people want. Same thing has finally happened with the design of the D2 helmet in terms of other companies ripping it off. Seems some exceptionally slow people work for protection companies....

The racecut is nice, but it is really expensive and over the top. A better comparison is the regular safety jacket Next and the other suits.