Quantcast

Paging 08 turner DHR owners

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
BB is right about 14 +/- 0.1", HA feels to be slacker than 65, and the shop's angle measuring device reads 64.5 but isn't renowned for its accuracy.

2.5 DHF minions and a slammed 8" 40 w/ king hs.

definitely feels longer and slacker, maybe a bit taller in the BB than a Sunday.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I am runnung a direct stem with 1.5 inch of stanchion showing above the top crown, running 823 tubless with 2.5 michys

saint cranks with atomlab pedals are always hitting if I am not completley horizontal with the crank arms when riding.

definately the lowest BB I have ever run on a bike.

take a little getting used to but it rails!

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Mine sits static at 14.33in with a 64 degree HA. Running 823's w/ Minion DHF's, and a 40 w/ Risse flat crown showing .5in of stanchion above top crown, or 8.5in of stanchion between seals and lower crown.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Shop rat kid's 08 with Maxxis DHF front/HR rear 2.5's, Boxxer set at a hair over 8"(204mm's), Pig DH (kinda beefy lower cup on those!)

BB 14 1/8

HA 63.75

Krispy

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tell me how to measure head angle accurately without a "headangle measuring tool" and I'll do so for you this evening. Large '08 DHR, 2.5 Minion rear, 2.7 Minion front, '07 888SL ATA, (Same fork you're running, right?) King headset. I'll get BB height regardless.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Tell me how to measure head angle accurately without a "headangle measuring tool" and I'll do so for you this evening. Large '08 DHR, 2.5 Minion rear, 2.7 Minion front, '07 888SL ATA, (Same fork you're running, right?) King headset. I'll get BB height regardless.
I've got an angle finder. It's just a carpentry tool you can get at a hardware store.

Yeah I've got a 888 SL but I'm running it at 7" to steepen up my demo 8. Those things are retahded slack.

Thanks for getting that measurement. Your setup is exactly how I'll have one built.....fork at 8" finally.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
the best tool I have in my garage. Wixey Digital angle gauge. it's cheap and small enough to fit on your headtube or stanchions (even for short travel forks).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Medium DHR, Boxxer running as low as possible, 2.5" Minion DHF, FSA Orbit Xtreme.

BB - 350mm or 13.77"

HA - 65º with anglefinder thingamajig

javzx7

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Tucson, Az
Kidwoo, do you mind if i ask a question? don't want to hijack the thread.
i just want to know if any of you guys riding the new turner owned the old style. was it worth the change and whats better besides being lighter, thanks!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kidwoo, do you mind if i ask a question? don't want to hijack the thread.
i just want to know if any of you guys riding the new turner owned the old style. was it worth the change and whats better besides being lighter, thanks!
I rode an 03 and an 04 for years.

The new one is appreciably different. Suspension rate feels similar, a little less progressive if anything, but the shorter front end for a given size (plus the weight) make the things much more maneuverable. It's like riding the most dialed 4x bike you've ever touched but with travel. It's a little less cadillac feeling.

My only gripe is the BB height. But that can be messed with a bit.

javzx7

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Tucson, Az
I rode an 03 and an 04 for years.

The new one is appreciably different. Suspension rate feels similar, a little less progressive if anything, but the shorter front end for a given size (plus the weight) make the things much more maneuverable. It's like riding the most dialed 4x bike you've ever touched but with travel. It's a little less cadillac feeling.

My only gripe is the BB height. But that can be messed with a bit.
thanks man, cause i currently ride an 06 DHR with the drilled rear end and im thinking about getting the new style, love my bike but wish it was lighter

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
14.3" BB and 65.1 degree head angle with '07 888 set to 8" as shown:

Bear in mind I'm running a 2.7 front Minion on a 729 rim, so I have a pretty big front wheel which raises things up a bit. Also bear in mind that the head angle is measured with a homemade plumbomb and some trigonometry. I'd trust it about as much as I'd trust a pedophile outside a primary school.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Chris King headset does not play well with my new fork. I can't get literally 50 metres down the trail without the headset coming loose, despite everything being super tight, and having put threadlock around the stanchions where the crowns clamp up. I'm blaming King's compression system they use to circumnavigate the Cane Creek patent. I'll be dropping in a Cane Creek headset soon.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Another thing I've noticed is that the Chris King headset does not play well with my new fork. I can't get literally 50 metres down the trail without the headset coming loose, despite everything being super tight, and having put threadlock around the stanchions where the crowns clamp up. I'm blaming King's compression system they use to circumnavigate the Cane Creek patent. I'll be dropping in a Cane Creek headset soon.
Are you running a spacer under the top crown? I find that without a small spacer, the headset comes loose without much effort. I've ran king's on all my dh bikes since I started riding dh. A half dozen or so later and I've never had one come loose after I started putting the spacer under the top crown.

kidwoo, you said your only gripe was the BB height on the new dhr. You wish it was taller or shorter?

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I am runnung a direct stem with 1.5 inch of stanchion showing above the top crown, running 823 tubless with 2.5 michys

saint cranks with atomlab pedals are always hitting if I am not completley horizontal with the crank arms when riding.

definately the lowest BB I have ever run on a bike.

take a little getting used to but it rails!
He said '08 DHR you fag.........:bonk:

Or did you trade in the whitey for a new one???

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Woo,

I also thought the BB height would throw me off. When I first built it up, I really was skeptical, considering that I thought my Sunday was tall...Then I rode the thing and it ****ing rails. Because the weight is so much lower than the Sunday, and the rear is just a touch longer, it feels much more confident cornering when your line is haggard. It drifts more predictably, it falls into rut turns easily, it changes direction much easier than the Sunday - or any other DH bike I've ridden.

It has some quirks, the rear pivot assembly needs some love when the bike is new - but that goes away. It also goes through DU bushings quick, but they retail for $4. Also, the rear end isn't the stiffest when you do the old flex the wheel test - which really made me skeptical at first, but you don't notice it riding (and I'm a Kovarik-esque rider that weighs 240).

All said, I've gotten trail time on most high end DH bikes out there - and I'm definitely happy that I reconsidered the M6 and got the DHR instead. Like you said, it's a fast, snappy, poppy little ****er! It also loves to hit big jumps.

It's rad.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It also goes through DU bushings quick, but they retail for $4.

Are you still running the stock aluminum 2 peice Fox reducers????

If so, this is the source of the bushing wear. Those things are complete garbage and need to be tossed ASAP. Replace the reducers with some 1 piece stainless units (fox HD ones or roco hardware) and your bushing life will increase exponentially.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Woo, how tall are you again?

All I know is that I'm just about 6' even and the only new DHR I could possibly ride is the L and even that's not a totally perfect fit. A CCDB on the back of one does indeed feel good. I personally just can't stand the super short rear end with the super raked front end. It makes the fork feel huge and the bike kinda unbalanced. Long'n'low is the way to go.

BTW, ditch the King, drop in a Sunline V1 DH headset. Burly, stiff, silent headset. So damn smooth too. Kings just do not go on DH bikes unless it's a steelset to remedy a slightly ovalized HT.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
All I know is that I'm just about 6' even and the only new DHR I could possibly ride is the L and even that's not a totally perfect fit. A CCDB on the back of one does indeed feel good. I personally just can't stand the super short rear end with the super raked front end. It makes the fork feel huge and the bike kinda unbalanced. Long'n'low is the way to go.

I'm 6'1" and the sizing on the large DHR couldn't be any better. They really did get it right. Running your bars super low helps balance the front and rear.
It is a race bike and needs to be ridden as such.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I personally just can't stand the super short rear end with the super raked front end. It makes the fork feel huge and the bike kinda unbalanced. Long'n'low is the way to go.
I'm 5'7".

Chainstays are 17.4. They're not exactly short. Wonder what was up with the one you had.

And yeah, Like dave said, no one riding a dhr should be using 2 piece reducer bushings. Get the 3 piece setup.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Woo,

I also thought the BB height would throw me off. When I first built it up, I really was skeptical, considering that I thought my Sunday was tall...Then I rode the thing and it ****ing rails. Because the weight is so much lower than the Sunday, and the rear is just a touch longer, it feels much more confident cornering when your line is haggard. It drifts more predictably, it falls into rut turns easily, it changes direction much easier than the Sunday - or any other DH bike I've ridden.
It's rad.
Excactly what I thougth as well. But once I tried it, I was blown away by it´s cornering and snappyness. Love it!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
they are aluminum, always have been, infact it is a hadley made piece (at least used to be). Ti would be heavier and serve no purpose.
This past weekend i ran into someone with a 08 DHR. The axle was stuck in the rear....looked like it was Ti (champagne color) and it came with the bike. The axle also had a very shallow reccess for the hex wrench......the wrench only went in a 1/4 inch.

So the axle seemed to be seized in there....i tried getting the axle out but feared stripping the Hex end....since was so shallow. Eventually i told her to take back to the bike shop.....

Just made me think, Ti is a stupid choice for an axle with the seizing possibilities........if it really was Ti.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This past weekend i ran into someone with a 08 DHR. The axle was stuck in the rear....looked like it was Ti (champagne color) and it came with the bike. The axle also had a very shallow reccess for the hex wrench......the wrench only went in a 1/4 inch.

So the axle seemed to be seized in there....i tried getting the axle out but feared stripping the Hex end....since was so shallow. Eventually i told her to take back to the bike shop.....

Just made me think, Ti is a stupid choice for an axle with the seizing possibilities........if it really was Ti.
The stock axle is anodized that color.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal

The DHR axle has a nice deep socket for the allen wrench, maybe the recesses was packed with dirt?
It is a good idea to keep a bit of grease on the threads of the axles.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The DHR axle has a nice deep socket for the allen wrench, maybe the recesses was packed with dirt?
It is a good idea to keep a bit of grease on the threads of the axles.
There was no dirt....the recess was pretty shallow i thought. Using my 8mm it only inserted til about half way where the end of the wrench had the 'worn' look.....the wrench didn't have a tight feel either. I use the same wrench on my Hadley axle, which is like 5 years old.......never had a problem.

Felt the end was going to strip if i really put alot into it.....just sharing my experience. Feel better that it isn't Ti and it really isn't seized in there....