Quantcast

paging mud'n'sweet

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
yeah its the dakar xlt. i really like it. its a tad bit heavy but its got 5" of travel in the back and hardly bobs when im climbing. anyways im deciding on what brakes to get. im looking for good deals but i also want nice brakes. jucy 7s would be ideal but are pretty expensive. corby said hed sell me his hayes hfx nines for $45 total but they need new pads and a bleed.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
BIRDMAN111 said:
corby said hed sell me his hayes hfx nines for $45 total but they need new pads and a bleed.
Don't buy them! We just did a bleed job on them in January and the pads are not old. His brakes just suck not to mention that they are old as crap too! Save your money and put it towards something useful

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
avid bb7's or even bb5's. The bb5's are the same as the 7's without the pad adjustment which you can make up with by using the barrell adjusters on your brake levers

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BIRDMAN111 said:
yeah thats your new set. what about the shimano xt?
I know a lot of people like the shimano xt. Corb's HFX 9's for the price can be a quick fix. The issue with them have been the plunger ovalizing the washer and the clipring inside the lever. Hayes is usually real good about sending out washers and c clips.

The situation for you is a money thing. if you know a good LBS then you can pretty much referb brakes.

For 45.00 bucks though, you can almost take the risk without loosing to much.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Ah, I forgot Woody has dib's on mine if I do sell them. They are the BB7's.

Woody, I put the Juicy Seven's on order today :)

nooby7757

Chimp
Apr 2, 2006
thanks daniel, but i was referring to whoever had dibs on the bb7s, theyre prolly slow, get it, ahuhuhu(as in read: wood dog)

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
mud'n'sweat said:
Ah, I forgot Woody has dib's on mine if I do sell them. They are the BB7's.

Woody, I put the Juicy Seven's on order today :)

SSWWEET!!!! Hell, rich you are going to have such a pimped out rig! All you need now is a hooker to sit on your lap as we go out riding and then you will be set :D

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
BIRDMAN111 said:
why does woody want your bb7's. doesnt he have nice brakes already? just wondering

Yes I have a great set of brakes, the older XT 4 pods and a saint in the front! But I am selling the vpfree with the shiver and brakes so I will be needing new brakes for my new HT that should be here in a week. I am giving up the whole DH/FR thing and I am going to find my true spirit in hardcore xc mtn biking! Rich got me so hooked on climbing....... that is all I think about now! So you see, I will no longer need the heavy duty stopping power of 8 inch hydro brakes, I need a lighter weight 6 inch brake that has great modulation

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
wood-dog said:
Yes I have a great set of brakes, the older XT 4 pods and a saint in the front! But I am selling the vpfree with the shiver and brakes so I will be needing new brakes for my new HT that should be here in a week. I am giving up the whole DH/FR thing and I am going to find my true spirit in hardcore xc mtn biking! Rich got me so hooked on climbing....... that is all I think about now! So you see, I will no longer need the heavy duty stopping power of 8 inch hydro brakes, I need a lighter weight 6 inch brake that has great modulation
If you don't speak Woody, this translates to "As soon as my tax check arrives, I'll have a second bike..... SUCKA'S!!!!!!!!"

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
wood-dog said:

LOL, I have had a few people inquire about my vpfree and to let everyone know, I was just kidding when I said I was going to sell it and give up DH/FR riding! However, I am still buying the bb7's for the xc frame that I am getting.... one of these days

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
BB5s are single piston brakes with only one moving pad (the outter). BB7s are dual piston brakes with both inner and outter pads moving in to contact the rotor.

They are considerably different and take completely different pads. I know this because I have BB5s on my hardtail and looked up the differences myself when I cared about such things.