Quantcast

Paging San Antonio riders... Again...

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
I posted about a month ago asking about where to ride around SA, well I will be down there for a week starting on Monday the 19th, and I am going to be looking for some XC mtn bike trails, so if you can post me some directions as to how to find them it would be greatly appreciated. I will be staying downtown at the Hyatt Regency. Also if anybody is planning on doing some riding in the evenings and wouldnt mind a sport level racer from Arkansas tagging along let me know, I would feel much more comfortable venturing off on a trail with someone who knew where we were going. I should be able to ride sometime after 5 in the evenings, and I might be able to get away much earlier a day or two throughout the week if I had to, I was even concidering making a trip up to Austin one afternoon to do some riding, since the post I put up earlier it seemed like everyone recomended making the hour or so drive. Thanks, Jayson

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
I checked out bikemojo and STORM yesterday, printed off an evening group ride schedule off of STORM for Mission Trail, and McAllister and OP Schnabel Parks. Does anybody do these rides? If so are they worth showing up for? I know our local group rides that get scheduled tend to be really slow paced, but its a good way to learn the trails.

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX
The BikeMojo people are great group of people. The rides that I have been on with them aren't slow paced but they won't drop you either. I've never been on the trails you mentioned but if you have a chance on Tues. ride 700 acres. Alan, and others, would be glad to show you around.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Thanks man, what time do they meet at 700 acres on Tuesday? I may try and join them. I am planning on making the drive up to Comfort to ride the ranch on either Tues or Wed, is it worth the drive? Also, is there anything special I need to ride the trails in your area? not to sure what your terrain is like, are there many prickly pears or thorns, if so do I need to run tire liners or get some slime tubes?

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX
Sorry it's so long getting back to you, I don't have a computer at home right now.
Comfort is worth the ride. It's kind of rocky in spots. While there are some cactus there it's not to bad. I would recommend atleast slime tubes for most of the rides in TX.
http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4133

That's the thread for the Tues. rides. They schedule other rides, Just ask if anyone wants to show you around. I'm sure that someone's riding and would meet up with you.

flbikerman

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Sherman, TX
I agree, slime tubes rule. I've only had one flat in the past year. That was because I was a dumbass and tried to break the thorn off instead of leaving it alone.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by ARmtnBIKER
I checked out bikemojo and STORM yesterday, printed off an evening group ride schedule off of STORM for Mission Trail, and McAllister and OP Schnabel Parks. Does anybody do these rides? If so are they worth showing up for? I know our local group rides that get scheduled tend to be really slow paced, but its a good way to learn the trails.

Sorry I missed you post. I don't get over to Ridemonkey that often.

Hope that you got hooked up with some rides. And if you are ever in the South Texas area again look us up/drop me an email.

aLaN

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Ya man, I met up with some really good guys last week when I was down there. I rode McAllister park 3 nights and went to Comfort one evening. Had a blast. Rode with the STORM group on Tuesday night, well actually I think most of the guys I rode with weren't actually with STORM, I started to ride with STORM and they directed me to Greg and said he would be leading a faster paced group and that I would probably enjoy it better.

SA seemed to be a really nice area, everybody I met up with seemed to be really nice, and really helpful. I hope to be able to get back down in that area again sometime. Next time I am down I want to spend a little more time at Comfort, that trail seemed to be really kick a$$ but when I went I was the only one on the trail and the thought of getting lost and not being found for days kept crossing my mind as I was riding.. lol... plus I ended up flatting and cut a tire and had to walk out about 3-4 miles, just made it back to my car before dark.

Thanks to all that posted and gave me info, if any of you ever make it up to Arkansas drop me an email and I will gladly show you around some of our great trails.

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by ARmtnBIKER
Ya man, I met up with some really good guys last week when I was down there. I rode McAllister park 3 nights and went to Comfort one evening. Had a blast. Rode with the STORM group on Tuesday night,
Glad you got the hook up

Mac Park is flat and fast.... /shrug.

The trail in Comfort is Awesome. I am a member of STORM and our club built those trails. 18 miles of sweet singletrack.

The invite is always there if you make your way back down. Show ya some of the real cool trails (read:700 Acres) SA has to offer.