Quantcast

paging surly 1x1 owners!

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
hi

i'm looking to buy a surly 1x1 frameset, and i'm not sure about the sizing. it's a toss up between an 18 and a 20inch frame. my height is 6ft and an inseam length of 32.5 inches. the problem i have is that here in oz the surlys are pretty thin on the ground and i'll have to order it in.

so i'm just wondering what owners have found with their frames?

if it's any help i'm currently riding a 20 inch norco nitro which is marginly too big for me.

:help:

thanks matt

ps i'd love to see some pics of the surly 1x1 built up!

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I'm a hair over 6' w/ a 34" inseam and ride an 18" (Med). Love the way it fits, would never even consider a 20" for myself.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Go by effective top tube (measure your Norco). The 18" 1x1 has a 23" effective TT. That was half an inch shorter than I like, but worked with tweaking. I'm a shade taller than either of you but have no idea what my inseam is.

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
how do you measure effective top tube length? is that the measure from the top of the head tube back to the seat post where the line of measurement is parallel to the ground. ie does this correct for slanting top tube?

thanks matt

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
The Surly's run rather short- I want to say 22.5ish for a med. I'm 6 ft tall and rock a medium with a 120mm stem, fits like a glove. Whenever stuck between sizes I always say go smaller- it's easier to make a bike bigger with a longer stem and seatpost than it is to make it smaller. Besides, it's a SS, you'll want it to be smaller and more agile than a geared bike so you don't have to brake as much in singletrack. A smaller frame would be marginally stiffer as well, though the 1x1 is not known for its flex.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
jon cross said:
The Surly's run rather short- I want to say 22.5ish for a med.
I'm about 100% sure its 23", but a check of the Surly site will say for sure.

Effective tt is from the center of the headtube/top tube junction, parallel to the ground, back to the center of the seatpost.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Standover on the medium is 30.5" and the large is 31.8. If your 'true' inseam(not pants size) is only 32.5, that only leaves about 1/2" on the large. Ouch.

While TT length is important, it can be tweaked by moving your seat fore and aft, laid back seatposts and longer/shorter stems.

Jan 21, 2002
melbourne, Australia
i checked the surly website and 18 inch frame has an effective top tube of 23 inches. i measured the effective top tube length of my 20 inch norco and it was approx. 23 inches. also i have a 130 mm stem on the norco which is marginally too long. i guess with similar effective top tube length, the stem length would be about the same?

also with the 18 inch frame i guess the seat post would need to be about 2 inches higher?

thanks