Quantcast

painkillers

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
this stems from a conversation sanjuro and myself were having in regards to painkillers...

this sunday my husband and i were snowboarding in the park when he crashes off a rail and breaks his wrist. and by break i mean his hand is now facing the wrong direction. i take out all the painkillers I have in my pocket - 3 tylenol arthritis pain. He says, "i just want 2".
I take 3 of those if my knees are bugging me. And it makes me wonder, what do other people take for painkillers?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I like advil for most things, and neproxin for bad things (ie: broken wrist). Both are ibuprofen. Neproxin is something like 650mg of it, slightly more then 3 advil, not sure if it contains anything else.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Polandspring88 said:
Though if I had a broken wrist I don't know if any number would help.
no joke. At some point, might as well face the pain and hope to go unconscious.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
when i hurt my shoulder and my jaw i got hydrocodone for that...but i hardly ever take pain killers...if it something i can just tough it out then i usually do

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
we drove from kirkwood to south shore (45 minutes) and he only took 2 tylenol. i just think that's being a dumb dumb.

when i shattered my arm, i would have taken any painkillers anyone had to give me.

i guess some people just have really high pain thresholds. i'm not one of them.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
For muscle pain I like Advil and foreverything else Excedrin. Usually 2 at a time.

Butabitol and whisky is good on occaision.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I hate most RX painkillers...I usually just sell them when I break things :p

I'll pop a few Tylenol/Ibu/Aspirin if I've got a headache, though.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
foesjunky said:
I keep a good stock of Vicodin :drool:
When I broke my collarbone they gave me enough Vicodin so I could be on it all day for a week or two. After 3 days I was sick of it so I still have a bunch. If you break a bone on a trail Ibuprofen/Advil won't do a thing, it's better to have a stock of something a little more powerful.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
black noise said:
When I broke my collarbone they gave me enough Vicodin so I could be on it all day for a week or two. After 3 days I was sick of it so I still have a bunch. If you break a bone on a trail Ibuprofen/Advil won't do a thing, it's better to have a stock of something a little more powerful.
I have a bit of old Vicodin laying around from a previous brake and wonder if I should keep it with me when I'm out riding. But how long does that stuff keep? Does it go bad after some time?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Never noticed an lessening in pain from anything other than Vicodin, and I won't take that unless I mess myself up pretty good.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Hmmm... very rare that I take medication.

Last time was when I broke my leg. Didn't have any painkillers till I was in the hospital. Afterwards, at home, I was on vicodin (one pill every four hours or so) for the first four days and then nothing after that.

I might take a sinus med every now and again if the pain is interfering with my work. That's about it. Drugs are for recreation, not medication. :p

splat

Nam I am
3 Tylenols ,

Last summer when I was hospilized with the Lyme menigitas , I had been taking 3 tylenols every 4 hours when they admitted me to the hospial the doctors had a fit at me taking that much. they finally wound up giving me morphene so I could get about 2 hrs sleep.

I can't take Anything asprin Based ( asthma and a past ulcer make it that way )

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I only take meds when I get a headache. I don't like to take it other times, but when I get a headache, i'll take anything I can get my hands on.

Sometimes when I break somthing, and its REALLY bad, i'll take a vicoden.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
amydalayna said:
When isn't a break REALLY bad?
When it does not require surgery.

In all honesty once the initial pain subsided the broken leg really didn't hurt that much. With the help of others I rode down the hill, and sat patiently in the hospital waiting room. Sure it hurt, but it didn't make me want to cry or anything.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Ciaran said:
When it does not require surgery.

In all honesty once the initial pain subsided the broken leg really didn't hurt that much. With the help of others I rode down the hill, and sat patiently in the hospital waiting room. Sure it hurt, but it didn't make me want to cry or anything.

this didn't require any immediate surgery. but i still cried like a little girl. i've never broken my leg, but i don't think i could ride with one.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
amydalayna said:

this didn't require any immediate surgery. but i still cried like a little girl. i've never broken my leg, but i don't think i could ride with one.
Ouch! Now, I may not have felt much pain after the initial break, but when it happened I was screaming like a little girl myself. :)

Picture time. I love posting my x-ray pix...

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i'll pop 2 asprin and wash it down with red bull if i knock my self on a rail snow boarding. probibly more of a mental pain relife then any thing but it gets me back out. that's what i did for my broken finger and rib. never had more then that though. guess i'm lucky.
on a mtb, i'll sit out the worst 2-3 mins of the pain then force myself to ride. the heat, motion, and mostly adrinaline make it go away and by the time the rides over most of the pain is gone. then i'm sore in the morning and get to limp around and bitch.:p

PonySoldier said:
I usually load up with Tyenol with Codiene when I go north of the border. Its over the counter up there. Works better than regular tylenol.
Bingo! Only downside to those is they have alot of caffine. Refrain from using before bedtime or you'll be up all night.

My MO is a couple of Advil for the normal bumps and bruises. Vic's for anything bigger. (Gotta be the real deal though. No generic crap or I get really pissy. :mumble: )

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
amydalayna said:
I have a bit of old Vicodin laying around from a previous brake and wonder if I should keep it with me when I'm out riding. But how long does that stuff keep? Does it go bad after some time?
Personally i think Aleve is da chit for aches and pains. For breaks Demarol kicks a$$.

The Problem with vicodin is that it takes a while to kick in sometimes multiple doses. So by the time you show up to the emergency clinic you are still in pain and now you have to lie to them about where you got it and what you are on.

As far as how long it keeps i have been told that it loses potency as it ages so no real danger (i am not a pharmacist i would consult one first) if it is beyond the exp date. My wife did research in nutrisuiticals sp. (high end nutritional supplements) and it is a requirement of the FDA every drug has a 2 yr exp. date.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
2 advil ...thats it.. when i was younger i hurt my back really bad playing Ball.. the team doc gave me vicodan.. it just blocked the pain. being it was college basketball i continued to practice and play.. further damaging my back, buit i couldnt tell because i didnt feel it. I feel if something hurts its meant o hurt and by blocking it people tend to do too much. so if your going to rest the injury and behave yoursself and let it heal then fine take the pills.. if not a little discomfort is fine by me. i can handle it

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I stick with Aleve. I have never been perscribed good pain killers by a doctor no matter how bad the pain was. I have a friend who get prescribed pain killers when she gets a paper cut.