Quantcast

Paintin A Bike For Cheap????

morvo11

Chimp
Jun 6, 2006
Washington
I am buying this sick new bike, however it has a nasty paint scheme to it. i am lookin to paint the frame just one color. I don't wanna spend a lot of money on it so i won't powder coat it. but i still want it to last though. Is there any kind of final clear protective coat finish...Please i need input....thanks.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Keep in mind that repainting a new frame will most likely void your warranty. If that ain't a problem for you, then check with some auto body shops (that might have some experience painting bike frames). Make sure they don't sandblast the frame, but gently strip it with some "aluminum safe" paint remover.

I had my girlfriend's bike frame painted for around $70. Unfortunately, she picked such an unmanly custom color scheme to ensure I would never borrow her bike. :disgust:

btw, did you buy a Demo 7 frame?

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I had my girlfriend's bike frame painted for around $70. Unfortunately, she picked such an unmanly custom color scheme to ensure I would never borrow her bike. :disgust:
haha, I thought that neon colors were big in Europe!?!?!!

Just playing, that sux.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Pretty sweet color. It looks like you painted the bb threads, any trouble with that?
Also, what brand/type paint did you use?
No issue with the bb - we just chased it at the shop and the new bb when it just fine.

As for paint i believe I used Mastercraft automotive spray paint , you can get it at Canadian Tire.

Glad every one likes the paint!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Obviously not a mountain bike, but I painted my commuter bike by hand with automotive rattle-can paint. It is fairly durable but I'm getting a few chips... mainly because I think I didn't prep the frame well enough.

But I've received many compliments on it... here is a crappy pic of it:

Attachments

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I painted my fork lowers.

My only advice is to really take you time with it. I've had some friends end up with crap because they didnt take the time to do the job right. That, and make sure you clear coat the hell out of it.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
just did my bullit. sand, clean with wax and grease remover, adhesion promoter, etching primer, paint. i used an appliance epoxy paint as it is tougher than standard paint. new decal kit and i am going to cover the high wear and impact areas with the clear protective tape.
before-

after-

the pic is before the new white goldtooth basher went on :)
nate

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
That looks stellar my friend. Pardon my lack of expertise but is adhesion-promoter similar to primer? Where do you get this stuff? And how about appliance grade paint? Where do you pick that up? This thread rules by the way.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
adhesion promoter is typically used on automotive plastics before paint. most automotive paint supply stores should have it. i picked up the appliance epoxy paint and the local Ace hardware.
nathan