Quantcast

Paintin my frame FUSIA pink.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Im gunna race my giant one more season cus its been so awesome this year. But i have some questions on painting the beast.

My friends dad has a full paint shop. and i have some question on how to paint it. Wed paint it together but...
A. what kind of paint should i use, or that wont flake. and how many coats?

B. I would remove the rear linkage and shock, and just leave the headset in and tape over it, but can instead i leave the frame in tact and tape over the bushings, because ive never taken a frame apart before.

C. should i leave the BB in and tape over it?

thanks, i know i havent posted any pics of any of my bikes, but if the giant gets painted ill have to take one and post it. :p

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I don't know sh!t about painting bikes, but if you're gonna be rocking a pink bike, you better be a damned good rider. Otherwise you'll get the nickname of "fairy".

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Take everything out, including the headset.

It's extremly easy(its a few taps of the hammer and a tool at the LBS), as for install, again its extremly easy, you just need the right tool(Cup press). if i was to do it, id buy bb cups, and thread them in, just to protect the threads, and you dont have to face/ream it again. also, if you are running discs, bolt the adapter to it, again so you dont have to face/ream the surface. Heaset, dont really know what to tell you, just thave the LBS face it for you.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
well, i dont want to be called fairy, but im not a panzy rider. maybe i will go with a safer color?
black? no every one uses black, hhhmmmm, to the color grid.

but do i need a special paint? and what the name of the paint stripper> methylacetone? or somthing like that.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
if your friend has a paint shop they should be able to tell you how to strip the frame and what paint to use.

take the intire bike apart other wise you will run into mainly porblems getting apart later

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
If you are not powdercoating the frame, you will ruin it. DO not use spray on car paint, it will just scratch & flake off & then try to sell it. It will look like shyt after a couple of rides. For about $150 you can get it professionally stripped & powder coated any color you want.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Ya know, after watching a episode of American Chopper (discovery channel) lastnight I have the incredible urge to copper plate a bike. That chopper they built looked crazy. I wonder what that stuff does to the strength of steel or alum.?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ssaddict said:
Ya know, after watching a episode of American Chopper (discovery channel) lastnight I have the incredible urge to copper plate a bike. That chopper they built looked crazy. I wonder what that stuff does to the strength of steel or alum.?
Probably does nothing to the strength. I could see it causing some major electrolytic reactions, any bolt that was not well lubed would risk seizing up.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
ssaddict said:

i watched tha tlast night too.
mikey killed them at sledding.!

i felt bad that SR gave the painter ? justin? a hard time.
he does such incredible stuff!

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
bcd said:
i felt bad that SR gave the painter ? justin? a hard time.
he does such incredible stuff!
I actually was thinking the same thing, honestly I think his work is more impressive than the bolt together bike they sometimes make. They really don't give him enough credit.

RideMTN

Chimp
Mar 10, 2002
New Milford, CT
Yea Man.
You need to strip everything off of your bike. Headset, BB, everything. Bring it to someone that does powdercoat. Powdercoat is very durable and will last a long time if you take care of it. They spray the paint on and then bake it in a 350 degree oven for a few hours. They can do any paint scheme that you want. My bike is Kawasaki Green. It's Awsome!
Hope that helps.
Later,
Justin

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
ssaddict said:
anywhere I could find pics of that bad boy?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Acadian said:
anywhere I could find pics of that bad boy?

A simple search around the net and I couldn't find any photo's. There's got to be some around, maybe on chopper forums? It was called the Statue of Liberty Chopper (cause they used actual copper from repairing the statue).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I've always wanted a polished frame and I've been thinking of sending my Planet-X HT to get polished.

first send the frame to be chemically stripped. Olympic powdercoating in Santa Ana CA can do that I've been told

Then send it to Bush Metal Polishing in Garden Grove CA to be siceled.

Then send it to Custom Metal Finishing in Gardena CA to be ball burnished.

that would make it all nice and shinny! but would probably cost me an arm and a leg in shipping cost and in labor. :(

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
I'm stripping mine right now to have it done Blaze Orange. You can have that color too if you don't live in my state. Otherwise, if I see you I'll have to kill you.

We're using paint from House of Kolor. I don't care if it's durable, since this is the Bullit's last ride..... After next season, I plan on using it for a doorstop, I wouldn't trust it after three years.

SOme dude up here has a polished VP Free. That thing looked sick.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i've painted a frame before....take it completely apart, absolutly everything comes off...tape off all the threads, bushings out, u can tape off the headtube but it really doesnt matter so much...powdercoat would be the best bet when it comes to durability...but paint...i use all auto stuff, makes ure u have a good primer and clear for adhesion...if your friend owns a paint shop he should know what he's doing.

that's my friend's karpiel...i'm not a big fan of the build but the paint came out sick. viper blue with ghost flames all the way down it...too bad it doesnt show up in the picture but in person its sick. horrible welds though huh?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Where'd JimmyDean go, he used to enlighten us on threads about painting vs powdercoat. Personally I don't have a predjudice against paint, it's plenty durable if you get something high grade which it sounds like you plan on doing.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
my friend's dad is some stock market big shot, whose hobby is mini F1 racing, hes got the tool shop u suckers wich you had, paint shop, cnc, tig, mig welding stuff. :drool:

what paint color is that Karpiel, looks like the new giant.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
mack said:
my friend's dad is some stock market big shot, whose hobby is mini F1 racing, hes got the tool shop u suckers wich you had, paint shop, cnc, tig, mig welding stuff. :drool:

what paint color is that Karpiel, looks like the new giant.
1997 Dodge Viper blue...go look at the color code on the car and that's it. the flames which u can't see r a purple/blue pearl which i mixed into an intercoat clear and sprayed on before the final clear. that tends to be a popular color for some reason.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
LukeD said:
1997 Dodge Viper blue...go look at the color code on the car and that's it. the flames which u can't see r a purple/blue pearl which i mixed into an intercoat clear and sprayed on before the final clear. that tends to be a popular color for some reason.
I'm generally a "black" frame type of guy...but the only other color I would consider for a bike is blue, but not any blue!! that viper tone of blue is sick. Same for WRX and BMW blue's...

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Acadian said:
I'm generally a "black" frame type of guy...but the only other color I would consider for a bike is blue, but not any blue!! that viper tone of blue is sick. Same for WRX and BMW blue's...
VW has a very similar one also. its kinda funny when u look at the color codes and start mixing them they seem like they r all going to come out extremely different...but next to each other they all look very similar. that viper blue has about 5 different pearls in it along with black, white, 3 different blues...i forget what else, i havent used that color in a year...but there is a lot in it...very expensive color.