Quantcast

Painting frame and forks...any help?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
skibum3789 said:
i really like the tie die grateful dead idea with maybe a phish theme as well. anyone seen anything like this? im considering getting something liek this done over the winter

peace
You should paint your bike to look like the languadoc brah. You can paint your lowers up like a volume pedal and a boomerang too.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Hey, I've been down this road twice this year. First, I had my Bullit frame bead blasted and then powdercoated a very unique color. Forest Green. You can also order decal kits from Santa Cruz for about $20.00. It cost me $25 for the bead blasting and then another $125 for the powder coat. Santa cruz will void your waranty if you get your frame powder coated by anyone other than them. Their price was reasonable I suppose but it was the 6-8 week turn around at that time. They charged $185 plus shipping and that included new decals being put on.

Next, I got really ambitious and decided to strip my powder coated Heckler frame with chemical stripper and then polish the frame. It turned out great but it was an unbelievable amount of work. It took me about 2 weeks to strip the frame and then sand it smooth enough to polish. I'd recommend getting the frame stipped somewhere where they have a chemical bath. You can get it done for about $30 - $40 and it will not need near the amount of sanding and it will be painless for you.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nick said:
No it isn't.
(not sure if you meant that due to the smiley)

I am all for the DIY attitude but I believe the best way to go about doing the frame is to have it bead blasted (glass, plastic) then immediately re-powdercoated. Wet paint can CERTAINLY be made to be a very durable finish as well.

I painted the lowers on my '03 Super T to match my frame a couple of years ago. Sanded off the old paint, spraycan primer, sand, repeat until I got a nice base. Then about 5 coats of spraycan auto paint. (this was way before the deluge of white forks on the market. I guess I'm just a trend setter. :D )

The finish looked good but was not very durable. If I did it again I would consider p.c. if the lowers could withstand the heat required.

I hope your shoulder heals up quick. :thumb:

That Turner is hot!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice Turner.

I actually ended up bringing it to a local powder coating shop. The previous owner of the bike was the painter at Santa Cruz and I guess did 3 layers of PC. The painter at the local shop I brought it to let me know that’s why it’s taking so long to complete. I cannot wait to get everything back. It’s going to be soo sick.