Quantcast

Panaracer FR 2.4

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How many people run the Panaracer FR 2.4. How does it hold up to pinch flats and what psi do you run them at? Would it work as a DH tire or is it too thin? It is more of a trail tire?

srbeck

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
Durango
I run them with stans and find them a little thin but the hook up great and have worn well.

by the way nice bronco

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
They are big (maybe equal to maxxis 2.7) and not as grippy as soft rubber tires though...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I run them @ about 35lbs...I haven't had any pinch flats, but I use slime and maybe Stans when I get enough motivation to build it. I wouldn't recommend running them at a low PSI due to the thin sidewalls.

The tires are great for trail riding in the NW. One thing that sux about them is the fact that they aren't great cornering tires. The high durometer makes them last, but when you are used to tacky tires these just don't compare. I've used them at North Shore, and they were great on the days that it was dry, but when it was wet the bridges and rocks the tires did not track well. I think its an awesome tire for drier conditions because it grips like crazy. It's really too bad that they don't make the FR in a 45-50 durometer they would be another great option in more conditions.

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
I like 'em so far. The one guy above is right about them not being all that soft.

They do seem pretty fat, but I'm coming from 2.1s so I'm no judge.

Maybe these pics will help with the size decision.

Cheers

Attachments

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I've run for awhile now on my various bikes, and they've been very solid all-around tires...Don't wear too fast, and I actually like them in the mud due to the stiff knob pattern (looks about like a motoX tire to me)...Of course they're no Slow Reazy Minion or anything, but for overall trailriding, they're a good option...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
They're bigger than a Maxxis 2.5 IMO...I've got a Minion 2.5 on the front right now, and it looks smaller than my 2.4 Pana FR on my trailbike...Like syadasti said, it's more like a Maxxis 2.7 (I can verify this, as I was running a 2.7 Mobster in the front and they looked to be about the same size)...

Btw, may want to check tire clearance if you decide to run these in the rear, as their side knobs seems to stick out pretty far...

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
I used to run the 2.1 on the back on my XC bike. Here is socal they work good cuz its dry most of the time. They work well in all conditionas, but not great in any particular area. Kind of a jack of all trades but master of none.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i am running the 2.3 DH version on my BB7 in the rear and it is definitely a fat grippy tire. i only have a few rides on it in some loose rocky stuff and it felt good. i also have the 2.4 FR version on the front of my hardtail. it did well on its maiden voyage through some sandy rocky trails. nothing highspeed. the 2.4 FR is a fatty. it fit in my DJ II with room to clear. it was about the same size, maybe a hair bigger than my maxis 2.5 minion. the sidewall on the DH version is stiffer, but i don't think i will have problems running the FR at 35psi (i could probably go lower). i anticipate good things from the tire. i am going to do a dh/fr ride saturday in sandy SoCal w/ my BB7. I am going to put the 2.4 FR on the front and keep the 2.3 DH on the back and see how it works.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Kanter said:
Thats what I figured. Thanks I guess I could always trim the side knobs for the rear.
I've used it in the rear on the Fly and it works. You can't run it with a DH tube otherwise it will rub. If you run it with a XC tube it works...speaking from experience. I have it on a Mavic D321, so it should work for you if you are still running the Dee Max.....(essentially the same rim right?)

Compared to Maxis..It is about the same size as their 2.7 but it does work in the rear as I mentioned with a thinner tube.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My Maxxis 2.5 rubbed a few times and the Kenda 2.35 is real close. If its about the same size as the Maxxis 2.7, I bet it would rub. Did yours EVER rub with the XC tube. I might just give it a try.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Kanter said:
My Maxxis 2.5 rubbed a few times and the Kenda 2.35 is real close. If its about the same size as the Maxxis 2.7, I bet it would rub. Did yours EVER rub with the XC tube. I might just give it a try.
It's close, but for the most part it runs with out any issues when I use the xc tube. I think I run a 2.1-2.35 tube in it...not positive though.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I had them for a season and thought they had weak and strong points. Good points are that they are really knobby and fat. pretty equal to a Kenda 2.5 and a hair larger than a Maxxis 2.5 (from looks). They hook up great in loose soil, dry surfaces, and most mud but as soon as you throw in a wet flat surface, you're done. They are made of quite a hard durometer that wears really well but does not stick at all. I rean them at about 25psi most of the time and had no problems with losing the bead or pinch-flatting. The sidewalls did show some lines that can be typical of single-ply but really there was no problem there. I would recommend them pretty strongly for people who need to pedal a lot and have mostly dry conditions. They're great except for woodwork and slick rocks. Just fyi, I had them on a P2 trailbike with a 02 Z1 up front and 8" hayes mag brakes.

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
^Yes, wide knobs. I had my brake hose too close and it got caught. Hey, what's all this extra drag I'm getting all of a sudden?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
They come in a heavier casing dont they? I bet if you trimmed the side knobs a little they would work better and not dig in while slow corning and make the tire stop rolling like Monkeybidnezz said

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
i run the panaracer's on my DH/FR bike (bullit) and i like them. Hook up well on anything dry, but don't do that great in the mud. I didn't have to pay any attention to them for like 6-7 months, and the psi dropped below 25, and i got two pinch flats. i got tired of flats so i pumped them up to like 40. These tires do realy well with like 30-35 psi