Quantcast

Paradise Valley - Call for Action

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Protect mountain biking at Paradise Valley!

Public meeting Monday, May 10, 7:00 pm. The meeting will be held at Hidden River Middle School located at 9224 Paradise Lake Road. This meeting is an opportunity to comment on the Paradise Valley Draft Management Plan. The plan is available here for your review.

mapquest link to school

As many of you know the Paradise Valley mountain bike trails are threatened. BBTC supports the conservation efforts that will protect the land from development, but there is no rational reason that multi user trails that are properly built and are not adversly affecting salmon habitat should be closed to mountain bikes.

It is important that we show up and represent mountain biking in a professional manner. Wear nice clothes, speak courteously and eloquently, and help us show the decision makers that we are a responsible group of users who respect the land. There are likely to be anti-mountain bike folks at the meeting who will be emotional and irrational. If we calmly state our case, show strong numbers and make intelligent comments, we can do a lot to protect our trails.

If you want to make a difference, join the BBTC and support mountain bike trails. We are out there working hard to preserve existing trails and build new trails for all mountain bikers including xc, freeride, bmx and downhill. Join Today so we have more trails tomorrow!

Justin Vander Pol
Executive Director
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC)
206-524-2900 office
justin@bbtc.org

Hey guys we really need to get on board with this. I know this trail system isn't everybody's type of riding but we need to stop local trail closures to biking. Coming together on this and keeping this system open is the first step helping to keep other trail systems open in our area. Upon reading the report, it is clear to me the way it was written was slanted against bikers.

I am an engineer who works a lot with stormwater design and have completed many projects concerning salman habitat. I plan on attending the meeting and putting in my 2 cents. While I may not have time to perform trail maintenance or trail building on weekends I would like to help out in other ways if I could. If the BBTC or any other mountain biking organization or group would like my services let me know!

I'd like to see a large group at the meeting letting our voices be heard.

BkrBrit

Chimp
Jan 13, 2004
3rd rock from the sun.....
I'll be there guys, we need all the representin' we can get.

A suggestion: - let's use the example of the North Shore guys as a guideline for behaviour.
Their response to the Ernie Christ / Mt Fromme issue at the town council meetings did them - and North Shore riding - a LOT of good.
The fact that ol' Ernie was reported to have placed his foot firmly in his mouth, and then shot himself in the foot also helped. (maybe we can get lucky too ? ? !)

FYI - the comments sent to Snohomish Co Parks by Jeff Mack (BBTC Board Member) in response to the draft of the Paradise Valley Conservation Area Management Plan were extremely well written and well presented.
They define a position of cooperation and accommodation while definitely "stating our case".