Quantcast

Passion

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I dont know about you guys, but I love biking and I love buying bike stuff. Its a great passion to be involved in. I love using my knowledge about bikes to help others thats why I enjoy the Monkey. To top it off, here is a picture of my current stable. Hoping to add a larger travel freeride bike to this soon. Enjoy.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
To each his own, I say. I'd rather spend money on bike trips. :thumb:
Er!

Stop Buying and Start Living.

I saw this on an overpass, and Im starting to try and live by it. One bike is all I need. Riding is living.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Riding with one bike is cool, but so is having a bunch of bikes.:)

If i was rich enough i'd buy a new bike every week. Like a woman collecting shoes, i'd have to have a huge garage to store all my bikeys.

That'd be cool...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
My father says there isnt enough room in our garage for all my bikes. But now I want to add a fourth. I cant decided...get a road bike or a bigger travel bike...or how about a fixie? Haha, I love working at a bike shop.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
rpk1988 said:
My father says there isnt enough room in our garage for all my bikes. But now I want to add a fourth. I cant decided...get a road bike or a bigger travel bike...or how about a fixie? Haha, I love working at a bike shop.

Get a flip-flop rear hub for the SS. Then throw some slicks on when you want to ride on the road. Save pennies for a big fully and an apartment to store them all in. Problem solved.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid: Slicks for a mt bike are a good investment.
I disagree. My SS converted Miyata roadie kills my MTB with slicks. So much faster.

Of course, if you can't get another bike and you want to save your dirt tires then I would agree.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
jdschall said:
Get a flip-flop rear hub for the SS. Then throw some slicks on when you want to ride on the road. Save pennies for a big fully and an apartment to store them all in. Problem solved.
Already has a Flip-flop Surly rear hub. Haha. I had different intentions for the SS at first, but now I think it will just be my go anywhere bike.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
moff_quigley said:
<snip>
Of course, if you can't get another bike and you want to save your dirt tires then I would agree.
Yeah - I'm not saying that the mt with slicks will be faster than a roadie of any sort. Just that a mt with slicks will be orders of *magnitude* faster than riding road on knobs.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah - I'm not saying that the mt with slicks will be faster than a roadie of any sort. Just that a mt with slicks will be orders of *magnitude* faster than riding road on knobs.
I've thought about getting some slicks for riding on the road but I decided I don't need them. I don't need to go fast when I road ride, I just need to go.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
valve bouncer said:
I've thought about getting some slicks for riding on the road but I decided I don't need them. I don't need to go fast when I road ride, I just need to go.
That's the main reason I've never gotten a roadie. My mt bike with slicks gets me 18 miles to work in an ~hour and I've decided that's sufficient.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
valve bouncer said:
It buggers up your knobs though. That's why I prefer slicks for road riding, keeps the knobs in good condition for dirty riding.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
fluff said:
It buggers up your knobs though. That's why I prefer slicks for road riding, keeps the knobs in good condition for dirty riding.
I don't wanna hear about your buggered knob, filthy creep.:rofl: :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
fluff said:
:stupid: The swapping of the tires is a PITA, but a bonus is that you get *really* good at it. Changing flats on the trail is a very quick procedure now. :D

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid: The swapping of the tires is a PITA, but a bonus is that you get *really* good at it. Changing flats on the trail is a very quick procedure now. :D
Cheap set of spare wheels is my answer.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
justsomeguy said:
It's about the ride, not the ride.
Ok Mr fancy porsche and Turner:D

I'm all about simple living, but different bikes definitely make different riding more enjoyable.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
I agree in principle.

I've got a set of K-rads I throw on mine when I'm not going to be riding dirt for awhile. However, since it's dried up this spring and as summer progresses, I have been riding trails 2-3 times a week + commuting and I've gotten tired of changing them back and forth every other day.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Fellas, you can get a Deore/Rhyno lite Disc wheelset from Jenson for a hundo.

Instead of going through 4 extra sets of tires per year, just get some good wheels like that for the road, and some slicks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jdschall said:
I agree in principle.

I've got a set of K-rads I throw on mine when I'm not going to be riding dirt for awhile. However, since it's dried up this spring and as summer progresses, I have been riding trails 2-3 times a week + commuting and I've gotten tired of changing them back and forth every other day.
I can see that. Sadly, I'm only probably going to see one dirt ride during the week if I'm lucky & 4 days of commuting. :(

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
That's a lot of money! :eek: :p
About the same as 2 sets of tires. Id easily waste that on the read per year. A road wheelset will last a lifetime.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
BurlyShirley said:
Fellas, you can get a Deore/Rhyno lite Disc wheelset from Jenson for a hundo.

Instead of going through 4 extra sets of tires per year, just get some good wheels like that for the road, and some slicks.
That's actually a very good point. But don't forget you'd also need a cassette + 2 disks. Gets a little pricey then, but still would pay for itself in the long run, I guess.

They come with a 20mm front hub? My problem is that I tend to turn my commute into an urban free-for-all and sort of need a durable wheel set.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I've actually been meaning to ask. Can anyone recommend some hard wearing mtb tyres that can handle a lot of road work?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
valve bouncer said:
I've actually been meaning to ask. Can anyone recommend some hard wearing mtb tyres that can handle a lot of road work?
WTB Velociraptors are hard and last FOREVER.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
BurlyShirley said:
WTB Velociraptors are hard and last FOREVER.
No kidding.

I just threw away a velociraptor that was maybe 6 years old. Still had center tread on it but a few side knobs were torn off and missing.