Quantcast

Patapsco Jump Park Meeting - Dec 14th 7pm

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Patapsco LEGIT Jump Park Meeting
Thursday Dec 14th 7-9pm at Fleet Street Cycles/Avalon Cycles (same place)
http://www.fleetstreetcycles.com/
5871 Washington Blvd. | Elkridge, MD | 410-276-2029

We all love the jumps off of Norris Lane but it’s not legal and MORE has been fighting off the destruction for almost a year. MORE has contracted with IMBA Trail Solutions to design and build a three-phase Challenge Park to be built at the Hilton Maintenance Area starting in Spring 2007. Come out and meet Ben from IMBA Trail Solutions and give us some feedback regarding what YOU, the riders, would like to see in a legit technical riding area, aka freeride zone.

This is your chance to meet Ben and make your voice heard! Ben was one of the guys that built the Santos Trail in FL - http://www.omba.org/Freeride/index.htm.

Phase one – aggressive xc trail with drops, skinnies, huge rocks and natural hits. Easiest to get approval for, easiest to build, Spring 2007.

Phase two – larger-than-average pump track with huge berms, table-tops and rollers in Fall 2007.

Phase three – (longest approval process) dimensional lumber constructed drops, skinnies, ladders and more! We are hoping for construction to begin in Spring/Summer of 2008.

Check it out http://www.imba.com/trailsolutions/index.html
Look what these guys can do! http://www.imba.com/news/news_releases/10_06/10_03_tamarack.html

Questions? Hit me – mike at citybikes dot com.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ben was one of the guys that built the Santos Trail in FL - http://www.omba.org/Freeride/index.htm.

This is something to get really excited about people. If you've seen pictures of the stuff built at Santos you'd know why.

Here are some RM threads on Santos to give you an idea of what's been built down in sunny Florida.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2301561&postcount=7

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167145&highlight=santos

I think Mike will agree that we aren't going to get any 20' drops like the ones you see in the pictures but still, there's some nice stuff down there!

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Hey, I'm not saying 'no' to anything. Let's get the fire started with some serious turnout at the meeting on Thursday. Did I mention free beer? C'mon guys, this is a great chance to build what WE want to build and ride. Santos didn't happen without serious rider input.

See you there.

mike

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
ok, i dont know why more is tryin to push these jumps off of the map, but nothing going to stop people from building. Once they are gone, someone will start them right back up. the trail is well defined and people know about it. people maintain it and people keep it looking decent. Look when all of the leave fell off the trees and onto the ground, the trail was cleared of the dead leaves with in a few days. I just dont see validity in doing this, though i do because it wasnt allowed, but the trail offers another type of riding to the trails that everyone likes. I just dont see luring in people with free beer t try to get them to the meeting. f uck more and everything else, just ride and have fun. :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1:

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
ok, i dont know why more is tryin to push these jumps off of the map, but nothing going to stop people from building. Once they are gone, someone will start them right back up. the trail is well defined and people know about it. people maintain it and people keep it looking decent. Look when all of the leave fell off the trees and onto the ground, the trail was cleared of the dead leaves with in a few days. I just dont see validity in doing this, though i do because it wasnt allowed, but the trail offers another type of riding to the trails that everyone likes. I just dont see luring in people with free beer t try to get them to the meeting. f uck more and everything else, just ride and have fun. :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1:
Dude... You are about as far off-base as a person could be. M.O.R.E. is NOT trying to do away with the jump trail... Patapsco Valley State Park is. M.O.R.E. is actually trying to work with the park to get more LEGAL freeride trails built there. If you had actually read the original post, you would realize that this is what the meeting tonight is about. They are trying to get input from local freeriders about what they would like to see in the park.
So, instead of complaining, how about coming to the meeting, and letting everyone know what you would like to see built.

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
so wait, i did read the original post. but i was told that more wanted the part gone. :poster_oops: i had someone tell me one day tha they were trying to remove the jumps. hmm.. i guess since i already had that in my head i misunderstood the original post. So more is good guys? haha i'm lost. but anyway, i cant make it to the meeting i have other commitments, but im sure we'll get posts on here about how it went and what not. but what kinda of beer :cheers:

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
so wait, i did read the original post. but i was told that more wanted the part gone. :poster_oops: i had someone tell me one day tha they were trying to remove the jumps. hmm.. i guess since i already had that in my head i misunderstood the original post. So more is good guys? haha i'm lost. but anyway, i cant make it to the meeting i have other commitments, but im sure we'll get posts on here about how it went and what not. but what kinda of beer :cheers:
Cool... Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a dick. It's just that there are a bunch of MORE members out there (myself included) who are dying to get some good, quality, legal freeride stuff built around here. However, all people want to do, is blame MORE for trying to get Louis and Clark destroyed. In reality, MORE is partly responsible for that trail staying around as long as it has. Patapsco Valley State Park wanted to remove it over a year ago. So, yes, I'd say that MORE is "the good guys" in this situation. :pirate2:
Again, I'm sorry if I sounded like a dick in my first post. :cheers:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Pirate's right. MORE has done everything they can to keep the jumps at Patapsco. The state wants them gone. Not so much that they don't want jumps or think they are inherently dangerous or something, but because some of them are built like crap from rotten old trees and pallets (which does make them somewhat more dangerous than a properly built jump) and others have been built into a creek bed which is a huge no-no from an environmental point of view. The park land is set aside to protect a natural resource and if they let people go mucking around in a creek and stirring up a mess, they aren't really doing a good job now are they? The trail gnomes were asked to stop while MORE talks with the park but they continued digging anyway. We are lucky we are even talking about new freeride trails in the park because of these dicks. Hopefully these guys will be as active in the legit area as they are in the underground...

Anyway, as of now MORE is in talks with the park about locating new jumps / freeride trails in area where the environmental impact will be lower (near the Hilton maintainance area) and the since the jumps will be sanction they can be built to proper standards. They got a really kick ass guy from IMBA coming out to talk. He's responsible for some other freeride areas across the country. Check the links in my post above. He's built some pretty kick ass trails. That's what tonight's meeting is about.

Pirate... be sure to fill us in on the meeting. I can't make it because we are touring the birthing center tonight.

Later, Dave

PS: if you are one of the "dicks" I was refering to and you actually read this, I'd love to know what rational you have for continuing to dig at the risk of loosing a legit area for the rest of us?

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
everybody just be coooooool. Remember we are just grown men on bicycles, I promise everthing is going to be just fine, we just got act like a bunch of Fonzies and be....cool.

mroneeyedboh

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
hahaha deleted post. but yet he doesn't get his deleted. thats whats wrong here. they're right and everyone else i wrong. oh well welcome to society.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Thanks to everyone who made it out last night. We had around 25 people show up including shop guys from Germantown Cycles, Bike Dr and City Bikes (duh). It was a great event and I hope that people feel involved in this process.

The response was overwhelmingly positive. Almost frighteningly so. I'm glad that we could pull this off in such a short amount of time. I think it was really productive.

If you have more feedback, let it roll! Thanks for coming out!

Special thanks to Austin, Dan, Ben, Eric and Donald at Avalon Cycles for pulling this all together.

mike

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I'll probably cry great fat tears of joy if this works out. Having somewhere to ride less than an hour away would be so gnar. I just can't wait for my new bike now...

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
Mike-I think the meeting was good to get the support going for the new stuff. Be careful, though! From what i gathered from the meeting, everyone has their opinion...of course.

I say take charge and stop asking everyone their opinion. Just realize you will not be able to please everyone and they will have to just get over it. You have been chosen to be the rep for this project and i trust you. I'm here if you need help, but i am not going to be opinionated...I am so tired of everyone bitching and never doing anything...Legally, anyway.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
VD, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm glad that you feel like you can hang back while we move forward.

One thing I've learned about these types of projects is that you have to kill yourself to reach out to people to try and get them involved. You are right that people will complain no matter what, but I want to make sure that I can look everyone in the eye and honestly say that I did everything that I could to involve as many as possible. MORE would want me to do that and I take it seriously.

So keep weighing in with input. I'd rather have to sift through more info than less when it comes to design and build. I was out at the sight on Friday with Ben from IMBA. It was amazing to walk around in the woods and have Ben point out where stuff was going to be built (if we get approval) and look at pictures of what we will have out there. I'm so excited it hurts!

The next time we have time with Ben in Patapsco, I'd love to have a meeting out there so you all can experience the same thing. It's going to be pretty amazing if we can pull it off.

I posted an update on the time line of how we got where we are and the next steps on the blog.

Thanks again for coming out.

mike
www.citybikesmike.blogspot.com

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I was out at the sight on Friday with Ben from IMBA.
Did you guys put any tape up by the maintenance sheds? I saw a line of pink flagging tape and was just wondering if you guys had been out there stomping around. We didn't investigate further.

One (slightly whimsical) suggestion - can we roll that 5' high concrete pipe onto the trail and make something interesting out of it? You know the one I'm talking about? Can we please?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This is really cool, we are doing something similar down at Clemson in SC. Im the VP of the Freeride club down there and we received permission to build in a local state forest. We are about 50% done on our DH trail and will be starting a freeride section and DJs in the spring. The biggest thing you have to be careful of are people that think that just because certain people have permission to build there they think that they can build whatever they want. We have spent at least 7 or 8 hours just fixing or destroying things that other people built without permission.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Ben from IMBA flagged a general line that we would open up for the passing traffic of riders, horses, walkers, etc. It's not a final line by any stretch, he was just laying some stuff down then thought better of it.

We were out there last Friday checking stuff out. It's going to be pretty rad. And yes, we'll be using that pipe for something. We've already got a few ideas. I'm thinking about gapped step-up to the top of the pipe with a small tranny off the back side of it.

mike

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Hell, that's what I'm hoping for!

If it's popular in Patapsco, we'll more likely be putting this type of stuff in at a lot of other state parks. Fair Hill, here we come!

It's all about doing it right the first time and this will be a first for mtn bikes in MD state parks. Here's hoping.

mike

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
When this really gets going how can we get invloved ? Is there anyway we can volunteer and help build ? I've got a strong back, good digging hands, and can pound a nail.

On a side note, anyone wanna pm me directions to the lewis and clark trail so I can scope it out ?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
As of a week ago, the 2 big creek gaps had been returned to the earth. The others remained standing... I believe people were out there riding Saturday.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
The jumps are still there, but the two biggest creek gaps are gone. Keep your eyes open for a plan of the new skinny and flow area in the next few weeks. I'll post what I can.

mike

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
rpk, they is us (me) so what are you asking? We are working on a conceptual plan with the IMBA Trail Solutions guys. We should see it within the next 10 days or so. There will be NEW stuff built out there with YOUR (collective) input. As soon as we have approval from the DNR people (Feb) we'll start building. Look for info about another meeting soon. I'll post what I can from the plan for everyone to give input on.

The plan will include pictures or drawings of recommended stuff to be built in the woods and specific backwoods 'engineering' information about how it will be constructed. Remember that this first phase is all natural construction (read: dirt, rocks and logs) and will NOT include dimensional lumber stuff. We'll have the pump track, the 'spiderweb' skinnies and the big-ass flow trail (on a steep side-slope). All of the sections will have options for expert and not-so-expert lines as well as progression if you want to learn.

It should be rad. I'll let y'all know.

mike

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
ive had the 77 a year in feb...bad ass bike. slow tech skinnies, urban, dj, singletrack, drops...it feels perfect natural in any setting, easily one the most balanced, comfortable bikes ive ever ridden.
might need new brakes though ( i was with you at ray's last year)

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
rpk, they is us (me) so what are you asking? We are working on a conceptual plan with the IMBA Trail Solutions guys. We should see it within the next 10 days or so. There will be NEW stuff built out there with YOUR (collective) input. As soon as we have approval from the DNR people (Feb) we'll start building. Look for info about another meeting soon. I'll post what I can from the plan for everyone to give input on.

The plan will include pictures or drawings of recommended stuff to be built in the woods and specific backwoods 'engineering' information about how it will be constructed. Remember that this first phase is all natural construction (read: dirt, rocks and logs) and will NOT include dimensional lumber stuff. We'll have the pump track, the 'spiderweb' skinnies and the big-ass flow trail (on a steep side-slope). All of the sections will have options for expert and not-so-expert lines as well as progression if you want to learn.

It should be rad. I'll let y'all know.

mike[/QUOTE/)

Well im still confused i was under the impression that the trail that currently exists was going to be torn down and a new trail was going to be built somewhere else in the park with the same type of features. So i think what rpk was asking was are u going to build the pump track and the other stuff where the jumps are currently located or are you going to tear them down and build somewhere else?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
What bballboy said is excactly what I was asking. I understand what you plan to do. In your post before mine you made it sound like you were going to build off everything that has already been made. Are the Landing/Norris Lane jumps going to be torn down?

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
From Mike's first post on this thread, the new freeride park will NOT be at the current site of L&C. Those jumps will be removed, probably once the first phase is open at Hilton.

We all love the jumps off of Norris Lane but it’s not legal and MORE has been fighting off the destruction for almost a year. MORE has contracted with IMBA Trail Solutions to design and build a three-phase Challenge Park to be built at the Hilton Maintenance Area starting in Spring 2007.
<snip>
Phase one &#8211; aggressive xc trail with drops, skinnies, huge rocks and natural hits. Easiest to get approval for, easiest to build, Spring 2007.

Phase two &#8211; larger-than-average pump track with huge berms, table-tops and rollers in Fall 2007.

Phase three &#8211; (longest approval process) dimensional lumber constructed drops, skinnies, ladders and more! We are hoping for construction to begin in Spring/Summer of 2008.