Quantcast

Patapsco Jumps Gone Soon?

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
If you have been riding at Patapsco in the past few years, you probably know about the 'Jump Park' or 'Lewis and Clarke' or the 'Not a Trail' trail.

MORE has learned that the park management is now focused on closing AND destroying this area in the near future. They are aware of the description of the builder and approximately where he lives. They have engaged the DNR Police and will be meeting at the site to plan for surveillance in early Jan.

A few of us have tried to contact the builder and he has decided to remain anonymous. We have tried to get the word out to try and stop the building as the park has asked. The building has continued.

I don't think this will affect our current access to the park but it is a general drawback for our access out there. I know that there is no way that I can ask people to stop riding out there, but this would be great if we could recognize that we have some responsibilities that we are not living up to.

We are working (and have been) on a plan for the creation of a legit jump park and could have approval to start construction as early as this Spring on Phase 1.

I just wanted to let y'all know what is going on. There's a good chance that there will be some 4x4 posts sunk into the jumps soon with signs on them. Also, there is a likelihood that there will be DNR Police cruising around over there. Not sure what they will do. You should also look out for the heavy machinery that will have to be brought in there to get rid of the stuff.

Just an FYI. Posted to MORE and MTBR.

mike

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
If you have been riding at Patapsco in the past few years, you probably know about the 'Jump Park' or 'Lewis and Clarke' or the 'Not a Trail' trail.

MORE has learned that the park management is now focused on closing AND destroying this area in the near future. They are aware of the description of the builder and approximately where he lives. They have engaged the DNR Police and will be meeting at the site to plan for surveillance in early Jan.

A few of us have tried to contact the builder and he has decided to remain anonymous. We have tried to get the word out to try and stop the building as the park has asked. The building has continued.

I don't think this will affect our current access to the park but it is a general drawback for our access out there. I know that there is no way that I can ask people to stop riding out there, but this would be great if we could recognize that we have some responsibilities that we are not living up to.

We are working (and have been) on a plan for the creation of a legit jump park and could have approval to start construction as early as this Spring on Phase 1.

I just wanted to let y'all know what is going on. There's a good chance that there will be some 4x4 posts sunk into the jumps soon with signs on them. Also, there is a likelihood that there will be DNR Police cruising around over there. Not sure what they will do. You should also look out for the heavy machinery that will have to be brought in there to get rid of the stuff.

Just an FYI. Posted to MORE and MTBR.

mike

Bummer. I rode through there just recently on a Sunday afternoon and was excited to see so many people back there. Thanksgiving weekend I think it was. Their might have been 20 - 30 people in that one area alone. There were whole families riding the jumps and playing on the log rides together. A couple of Dad's on their MTB's with their young kids on BMX bikes. A couple of teenage kids riding big DH bikes with their parents. Everybody seemed to be really exicted and having a great time. It was really cool scene.

Too bad these kids and family will have no where (in the immediate future, I know you are working on it Mike) to ride this kind of stuff and will basically be criminals if they continue to ride and build there.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Thats a bummer. That seems to be the most populated part of the park as JD already said. I heard there were some new log rides out there. I guess I should get out there before stuff gets taking down or I get kicked out. I love riding in Patapsco, but freeride had to come its way at some point. I like the fact of a legit jumppark. If its maintained correctly, that should be pretty fun.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
Get it while you can, hopefully this ends up like all the other threats. I go out there to specifically ride that section. I like to ride XC but prefer the "jump" section. Never seen a builder out there but if the plans are to move forward in the spring maybe tearing them all down is a little much. You can still patrol the area to prevent people from building more. Why not try to keep what they have and use that to work off of for the "legit" jump park. I just hope that "legit" does not entail making everything smaller, there should def be a range of jumps and sizes. I thought it was great that they had kept there for this long. We have not seen any real serious injuries in that section for quite a while, that I know of. The idea of taking heavy cumbersome machinery through the woods just in an effort to destroy jumps that were built with hand tools seems to me like a waste of money and time, they can be dismantled but more importantly they can be left intact.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Get it while you can, hopefully this ends up like all the other threats. I go out there to specifically ride that section. I like to ride XC but prefer the "jump" section. Never seen a builder out there but if the plans are to move forward in the spring maybe tearing them all down is a little much. You can still patrol the area to prevent people from building more. Why not try to keep what they have and use that to work off of for the "legit" jump park. I just hope that "legit" does not entail making everything smaller, there should def be a range of jumps and sizes. I thought it was great that they had kept there for this long. We have not seen any real serious injuries in that section for quite a while, that I know of. The idea of taking heavy cumbersome machinery through the woods just in an effort to destroy jumps that were built with hand tools seems to me like a waste of money and time, they can be dismantled but more importantly they can be left intact.
I agree. The idea of heavy machinery going through the park to destroy these jumps does not appeal to me in the least. Would it be a sign of good gesture if a number of mountain bikers volunteered to go in with hand tools to dismantle the jumps / etc,.. by hand. I know it's not the most productive trail workday, but it could put another spin on our intentions and maybe gain some favor with the park / people in charge?

I love the jumps just as everyone else does and don't get to ride there often enough, but also don't want our access jeopardized, and would in any case love to see the jumps stay or something similar built.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
ANY trail built without approval goes away. Just because people like it doesn't change the fact that it was not allowed to be built. THAT'S why it's going away, not because of what is there. If there were no jumps or stream gaps, it would still be illegal and not how the park does stuff.

Again, it's been saved TWICE from destruction by actions of MORE.

In terms of the removal of stuff, it would most likely be done by a Dingo walk-behind and hand, no actual bulldozers.

mike

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
The only thing I am afraid of is that is they do build a legit jump park, that it will be to small or be controlled heavly by the park (i.e. limited access, lots of waviers, and hopefully not a fee). Also it would be nice to see some variety as far as jump size and maybe even some ladders. Just a thought.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
WE will be building it, not them. It will be OUR part of the park, not theirs.

Honestly, I don't care if I have to jump through a flaming hoop naked, I'll do ANYTHING to have some sweet legal well-made freeride stuff out there.

mike

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
I'll let y'all know when the big day comes. In the mean time, check the other thread for meeting info for THIS THURSDAY to meet the guy who's going to design it and built a lot of it. This will be a great chance to have your voice heard on what WE want out there.

mike