Quantcast

PDC Racing Freeride.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
This bike looks awsome. I am comignf rom a V10 in search of a lighter, less travel more jumpable bike. The V10 was awsome for dh but thats not all I do. It felt kind of dead and if I wanted to double 2 things in a race I would pull a back muscle trying to get it off the ground. The PDC is reasonbly priced aswell. I had a few questions about them though:

Does anyone have any experience on them?

Can anyone tell me more about them? The PDC site isn't very informative, I am looking for details here...Also the geometry, I am 6'3'' and need a pretty big bike.

What shcok does it come with? I have been told a romic but I would love to try one of the new DHX shocks from Fox, or even another 5th Element...

What are the main features of the bike and suspension design is uses?

Heres the build spec I am thinking of....

PDC Racing Freeride Frame
Sherman Slider + TA
King Headset
Deity Handlebar
Deity Stem
Hope Mono 6 Ti Front Brake
Hope Mono M4 Rear Brake
Sram X.0 Grip Shift
Sram X.0 Deraillier
E.thirteen SRS Chainguide
Deity Chainwheel
Deity Cranks
Thomson Post
Selle Italia Flite Gel Seat w/ Ti Rails
Odyssey Cielincki Magnesium Pedals
823 Rims
***Not sure what hubs yet, suggestions welcome***
Intense Lock on grips
Maxxis High Roller UST 2.5 Tires
Sram Cassette
Sram Chain

Give me all the info you guys got!

Dan

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
We are thinking of 2 different bikes. I am talking about there freeride model with 7.5" of travel...

Dan

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah, my bad. in my surfing of a few forums i haven't come across any info on the freeride model other than a bunch of "that looks cool" posts...

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Damn, do you think it would take a 10mm by 135mm hub? or is it a standard qr, thats my main question as of now....

Dan

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Kyle as in the owner or what?

Should I expect an email or is he a member of this forum?

What I ment was does it take like 10mm 12mm or qr...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yes

i suppose he`ll post back (he is on RM, and has been for years)

it very likely has a qr and a t/a option, but im not certain, i do however know it has a normal sized bb so most likely t/a hub dimension would be 135/12mm

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
mike425 said:
I thought you were after a racelink? :think:

mike
maybe money issues diverted him? :think:

in another thread he's claiming to put some new parts on his V10
so nevermind, it seems he's just picking our brains, kill time, or whatever... :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Gfreak said:
I"m looking to get my wife an new FR bike but she is 4'-11' . What's the standover height and tob tube length on this bike?
Check out the Titus bikes for your wife, too. They make REALLY small sizes.

I really, really like the PDC bikes myself.

My wife is currently riding a 2001 extra small Titus Quasi Moto. The problem is they only have 6" of travel and it has a steep head angle (70 deg.). The super moto's do not come in extra small and tend to be big for her.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
Gfreak said:
My wife is currently riding a 2001 extra small Titus Quasi Moto. The problem is they only have 6" of travel and it has a steep head angle (70 deg.). The super moto's do not come in extra small and tend to be big for her.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
check out Dark Cycles, custom light steel frames, pretty sweet.

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
rockymt21 said:
Kyle as in the owner or what?

Should I expect an email or is he a member of this forum?

What I ment was does it take like 10mm 12mm or qr...
Kyle as in the owner of PDC :)

I know the website sucks, but it's only temporary, so I'll give you as much info as I can right here!

Freeride / 4x
Competitive Advantage:
Low Standover Height (28.5")
Full Seat tube Insertion
Full Compliment Sealed Torrington Needle Bearings, ½” (12.70mm) 4140 Hardened Ground Axles. (not shown on prototype freeride frames, these pivots have been proven for years of use and abuse on the DH-One's, with the original design developed by Avalanche).
7005 Easton RAD front triangle construction, HD Linkage and rear triangle.
Both the upper and lower linkage is cross-braced, resulting in a very solid rear end.
Various Linkage/geometry options, all of the freeride shock choices bolt directly to the frame, with the 4x version using a supplimentary mount.
Low Center of Gravity.
73mm BB Shell /w Integrated ISCG tabs
Feature bolt on rear dropouts, and International Standard disc brake mounts. Dropout options are QR (135mm) or 12mm Thru-Axle (135mm). Chainstay length choices are 16.8" or 17.1" respectivly.

Take the bike you've seen at interbike, and pump it up to get an idea of the production version. The new models are....ummm... :drool:

The Freeride / 4x Frames are the same front and rear triangles, with the option to change the rear shock, shock mounting location, and chainstay length. Each rear wheel travel setting has been designed to work with a specific fork length to achieve correct geometry.
Other travel settings are available other than what is listed simply requires larger lead time, and possible cost increase. Simply put, you can convert one to the other by switching shocks out.

Shock choices are Manitou Swinger 4-way, 6-way, Romic Twin, Avalanche, and possibly progressive. Complete buildups are availible. currently I don't have a "standard" build, best to inquire with what you need and I'll hook you up. Romic had a new "DH" shock with a resivoir featured at interbike, and when availible from romic, will be availible with the Freeride frame.

Fox won't sell their Products as Original equipment unless the bike is sold complete, this is why they are not listed in the shock choices.

Geometry Freeride:
Head Angle: 67 Degrees
Seat Angle: 58* Degrees (Actual)
Chainstay Length: 17.2” ( 436.88mm)
Bottom Bracket Height: 14.4” (325.12mm)
Top Tube Length (Actual): 22.15” (563.53)
Designed for 6-7.5” Fork & Has 110mm Headtube Length.
Rear Wheel Travel: 8.0” Via 2.75” Stroke shock. (2.9:1 leverage ratio)

Estimated Retail Price $2325CAD (1850USD approx). (quoted with Romic Twin or Manitou swinger 4 way)

Geometry: 4x
Head Angle: 69 Degrees
Seat Angle: 61* Degrees (Actual)
Chainstay Length: 16.9” ( 429.26mm )
Bottom Bracket Height: 13.5” (325.12mm)
Top Tube Length (Actual): 22.15” (563.53)
Designed for 4-6” Fork & Has 110mm Headtube Length.
Rear Wheel Travel: 5.6” via 2” Manitou Swinger shock, 4.8” via 1.5” stroke shock.

Am I missing anything? You can reach me @ info@pdcracing.com or just reply here, then the info is availible to everyone! always happy to give info on my products!!

-Kyle

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dhdescender said:
Take the bike you've seen at interbike, and pump it up to get an idea of the production version. The new models are....ummm... :drool:
Ummmm....you can tell us, but we'd rather see...

Thanks for the info!

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
dhdescender said:
Geometry Freeride:
Designed for 4-5.5” Fork & Has 110mm Headtube Length.
Rear Wheel Travel: 8.0” Via 2.75” Stroke shock. (2.9:1 leverage ratio)
-Kyle

umm 4-5.5" fork??? thats a typo right???!!
any chance of a Avalanche shock upgrade??

Cheers, Brad

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Brad23 said:
umm 4-5.5" fork??? thats a typo right???!!
any chance of a Avalanche shock upgrade??

Cheers, Brad

'tis a typo, myerror I've edited.

Avalanche shocks are an option, I would need to know the model, and all the rider info to be able to price quote.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dhdescender said:
'tis a typo, myerror I've edited.
that's a shame. i was hoping it was the new trend so that i could mount up a 130mm Z1 on my canfield ;) ...

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
please let me know if there would be any of these around San Francisco so I could test ride otherwise let me know any other places I might be able to.

Thanks, Brad

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Brad23 said:
please let me know if there would be any of these around San Francisco so I could test ride otherwise let me know any other places I might be able to.

Thanks, Brad
Brad so far the closest *confirmed* order is to Idaho Springs CO. I've got shops all over the states interested in the new frames, so I wouldn't be surprised if somone local ordered one.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yeah I am wondering about the sizing. Being 6'3'' 22" top tube is about as small as I'll go. Let me know if you think I would be too big for the bike. I am pretty interested in these so as long as I can sell my frame then I think I'll take one.

Dan

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I was wondering the same thing, being a similar height and all.

BUt i'm thinking with that laid back seatpost angle, and a RaceFace post, thing would likely work out pretty good.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Don't forget that the TT measurement was actual, not effective. That's a well sloped TT so I'm sure it feels longer than the numbers might look. Additionally the seat tube is raked nicely which will certainly stretch the cockpit when the seat is raised (then again, I remember reading that the similarly designed Evil imp wasn't exactly ideal for taller riders).

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Exactly!

well Kyle, how long is the downtube? or the bb centre to bar clamp centre, assuming a 16mm(1.125 ck nothreadset) upper stack and a 50mm zero degree stem? i'm trying to come up with a standard here, but it's awfully complex. Morley Wilkins calls it reach.

Hmm, simpler might be bb center to center top of headtube, could we standardize this? Afterall we don't have to be beholden to the geometry conventions of the roadie crowd as the use of a mtb is far more complex.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i agree that the standard for cockpit measurement should be something other than toptube length. i always use bb center to center of the heattube bottom - that is the effective front center length regardless of variable seat tube configurations.

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Center of the BB to the center of the top of the headtube is 28.8", medium frame.

The prototype frames with a 2.75" stroke shock weighed 8.5lbs. The production version I estimate to be another pound, will confirm when it's all dressed. :thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
um, typo much? I think you just said my next frame will weigh 9.5 lbs. You might want to correct that before getting people's hopes up....

:drool: