Quantcast

Peaty and Minnaar

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
If you guys can get your hands on Dirt Mag, I forget the Issue Number, but they did a direct comparison between the two and as lot to say between the D8 and V10.

Quick synopsis: "D8 sucks. Why is SC making it?" Is what I got from the article.
I think you guys are putting a little too much weight on one review.

How was Dirt's bike set up? The same bike can feel totally different with a few clicks of a compression adjuster. What kinda terrain did they ride? What is their personal preference for how a bike feels? So many variables...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I haven't read the review of the Driver 8, but most of Dirt's reviews are centred around DH racing, IMO. When they get a 5x5 trailbike then proceed to put 2.5" DH race rubber and a 50mm stem on it you know they're really only interested in how fast something can go down hills. I thought the D8 was built as a "bike park bike", something that was good fun, lively, easy to jump, solid and bombproof... not low/slack/dead/groundhugging/stable/fast like the V10?

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
I think you guys are putting a little too much weight on one review.

How was Dirt's bike set up? The same bike can feel totally different with a few clicks of a compression adjuster. What kinda terrain did they ride? What is their personal preference for how a bike feels? So many variables...
Dirt's reviews are the best there are IMO. Unlike other mags, they'll say if something sucks, and you know they're gonna come at it from a DH perspective(even testing trail bikes on dh terrain). I'm sure if they took the time to do a review, they tried a variety of cockpit, tire, and suspension setups. My understanding is that the driver 8 was designed to be more lively and park friendly than the vp free(which I think is a very capable dh bike, although I'm biased) not more race ready like the V10. As said before, the V10 dominated the world cups this year so why would SC's pro riders want to ride anything else?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Dirt's reviews are the best there are IMO. Unlike other mags, they'll say if something sucks, and you know they're gonna come at it from a DH perspective(even testing trail bikes on dh terrain). I'm sure if they took the time to do a review, they tried a variety of cockpit, tire, and suspension setups. My understanding is that the driver 8 was designed to be more lively and park friendly than the vp free(which I think is a very capable dh bike, although I'm biased) not more race ready like the V10. As said before, the V10 dominated the world cups this year so why would SC's pro riders want to ride anything else?
Only thing that comes to mind was on the Snowshoe National course when Minnar won on Honda. At the exit of the course onto the finish, there was a huge log down running parallel to the course. Minnar was swinging to the left side of the tree, bunny hopping over it to the right and then straight lining the exit out of the woods off a rock drop. Can't see that being a realistic manuver for him on the V10 in that tight little section of woods.:clue:

Other than that, run what ya brung.:thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It'd be really awesome if Intense could pick a design and stick with it...gotta admit I'd lean towards a Santa Cruz for this reason alone even if I think the M6 is a better bike.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
It'd be really awesome if Intense could pick a design and stick with it...gotta admit I'd lean towards a Santa Cruz for this reason alone even if I think the M6 is a better bike.
Agreed. I'm not against improvement, but it kinda sucks for those of us who don't want obsolete bikes to keep buying a new frame every year or two.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Agreed. I'm not against improvement, but it kinda sucks for those of us who don't want obsolete bikes to keep buying a new frame every year or two.
I agree, innovation and progress should halt immediately in order that I can keep riding a state-of-the-art bike for the next decade :)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So by not changing the design every year you can keep your bike and it won't be obsolete, but if said company makes a new frame it will be? In what universe does that make sense. Just because Intense makes a new frame doesn't mean the previous one is no good or worse. Heck, in the case of Intense I've heard plenty of gripes about the 951 being a step back.

Technology does not move nearly as quickly as vanity and marketing.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
frames only become obsolete when standards change so you can't replace parts and keep it running. Just cause theres a new version of your frame out doesn't mean you need to retire the old one as its no good anymore. Its about time they brought out a new frame and brought it a bit more up to date.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
i am guessing that it was implied that the frame is obsolete since it is no longer in production? i think what is trying to be conveyed is that some would be happier if Intense would make a bike that will be around longer than just 2 years. progression is great, but maybe put some of that into the existing line rather than an all new frame? i am just trying to read between the lines here, i could be wrong.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
i am guessing that it was implied that the frame is obsolete since it is no longer in production? i think what is trying to be conveyed is that some would be happier if Intense would make a bike that will be around longer than just 2 years. progression is great, but maybe put some of that into the existing line rather than an all new frame? i am just trying to read between the lines here, i could be wrong.
Yeah that's fair enough, but if you want a reliable car that's gonna be the same in 5 years time and will have spare parts available for its entire life you buy a Toyota Corolla, not a Ferrari F430. If you want the latest and greatest then you buy the Ferrari and deal with it when the next model comes out a year later that's newer/better/faster/flashier/whatever.

In actual fact I don't even really like Intense bikes very much, certainly not for the prices they ask, but I do respect that they are continually evolving their designs. The M6 was really just an updated M3 anyway...

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
has no one considered the driver eight with a angled reducer cup? - 2º on a 66.5 angled frame would work out to be 64.5 which is pretty slack. At the same time, it would probably bring the frame down to 14 inch BB, probably lower... that sounds like a dh worthy bike to me. Then again, you do have the weight of the frame...

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
So by not changing the design every year you can keep your bike and it won't be obsolete, but if said company makes a new frame it will be? In what universe does that make sense.
In our universe, cuz it's the truth. Doesn't make my bike useless, just means my bike is worth less, and it might be harder to get parts for it. That's all I'm saying. Read my post again, I'm not against improvement. Even if the 951 is a step backwards, and I had an M6, the M6 is now obsolete. It's like the old Cherry Red Boxxers. They made a newer model, and even though the Cherry Reds were better, they were still worth less.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
You are correct. If a manufacturer comes out with a better product, then that's great. I'm just being selfish.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Obsolete is the wrong term. That implies the product has no use. Music Tapes, those are obsolete. VHS, thats obsolete.

A previous model bike is not. Just because its been replaced with something, that doesn't mean its obsolete unless the replacement is considerably better then the previous model.

The current V10 kicks ass, and unless courses start pointing straight down killimanjaro, the dam thing will never truly be obsolete.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Obsolete is the wrong term. That implies the product has no use. Music Tapes, those are obsolete. VHS, thats obsolete.

A previous model bike is not. Just because its been replaced with something, that doesn't mean its obsolete unless the replacement is considerably better then the previous model.

The current V10 kicks ass, and unless courses start pointing straight down killimanjaro, the dam thing will never truly be obsolete.
Well said sir. As you have pointed out in countless threads its not really as much about the equipment as most people act like it is. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I would be as capable on a fully rigid cantilever equipped rig but I also don't think Joe Dh needs the latest and greatest (insert fancy product) in order to stay competitive every year.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
we must not read the same Dirt magazine. I love what Dirt did partnering with Alex Rankin for videos, etc... but a Jonesy review of a DH bike is always a variation on this:

Instantly I felt at home. The bike moves quickly across the ground, though I can't pinpoint exactly why. It just has that perfect combination of elements to make for a bike that feels comfortable from the start, and flies down the track.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

as long as bike manufacturers don't start referring to older models as "legacy frames" i think we're gonna be ok :rofl: