Quantcast

Pedal question

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
Does any one have and techniques to removing pedals. Mine are really tight, and I am not sure what size wrench to use. The crescent wrench that I used is too small and I can not get enough leverage or torque. Plus they wrench is a bit thick so it’s a tight fit between the pedal and the crank arm.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
RATM said:
Does any one have and techniques to removing pedals. Mine are really tight, and I am not sure what size wrench to use. The crescent wrench that I used is too small and I can not get enough leverage or torque. Plus they wrench is a bit thick so it’s a tight fit between the pedal and the crank arm.
Using a pedal wrench or proper sized cone wrench will make a WORLD of difference.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. First and foremost the drive side pedal comes off counter-clockwise (normal), the non-drive side comes off clockwise (reverse). The trick I use to remember is on either side of the bike, turn the wrench up and towards the back of the bike.

2. Pedal wrenches are 15mm in width and thinner than a crescent or an open end wrench so they fit into slot between the pedal body and the crankarm. Some pedals use a 6mm or 8mm allen key in the pedal axle, and you take those pedals off from behind the crankarm.

3. A cone wrench will work in a pinch, but they are usually flimsy and too small to generate enough torque a stuck pedal. In comparison, pedal wrenches are typically a foot in length. They also make longer allen keys for removing pedals.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
sanjuro said:
1. First and foremost the drive side pedal comes off counter-clockwise (normal), the non-drive side comes off clockwise (reverse). The trick I use to remember is on either side of the bike, turn the wrench up and towards the back of the bike.
I always manage to jack this up and tighten the hell out of at least one of my pedals...seems backwards to me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The worse thing was one kid screwed on a left pedal on the right crank, then had to buy another set a pedals to get another left...

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
SilentJ said:
I always manage to jack this up and tighten the hell out of at least one of my pedals...seems backwards to me.
I always put Phil wood grease on my spindles before installing so removal is easier....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
sanjuro said:
:stupid: