Quantcast

Pedal suggestions?

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
Did a bucnh of searching and did not turn up much. I am getting a new bike tomorrow and need to figure out the pedals in the next couple weeks. I am using Eggbeaters now. They are not bad. I ave used them for a long time. I have two complaints. 1. They wear out my shoes. 2. I cannt pull straight up to get out. I was goofing around last fall and looped out. I could not get out. Ouch. I still have scars. I am considering Shimano (easy to bailout of), Time and Xpedo. I really could use some suggestions

TIME ATAC. hands down.

Second: Shimano 770.

And I don't think that ANY pedal will allow you to pull straight up to release. The unlocking mechanism only allows for lateral release. I know the Candy pedals allow multiple entry options and only lateral exit. Same with the above listed pedals. YOu can twist in or out to unclip.

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
I had some Shimano pedals back in the day (lol) The just seemed to be linked to my brain. If I wanted out I was out. I know that sounds strange. Maybe I just did not need much heel movement? I will look at these pedals now. There are so many now days that It is just nuts. Which Time ATAC? Thanks!

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
I love crank bros. pedals when the cleats are new, does not seem to last very long. I have actually broken a few, saving my pennies to back to shimano...

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
Got the aluminum Time ATAC. I wanted someting lighter. This was the only pedals in stock at the LBS. I will give them a try. If they work maybe I will go all weight weenie and get some lighter ones. He said all the local BMX guys buy these up. New bike new pedals and a weekend gone riding! See ya all Monday have a good weekend. Thanks!

Cipcag

Chimp
Jul 16, 2009
Hey guys...........I have a 98 M3 cp and im looking for a manual pedal set for the car. I have seen the ones that UUC motorwerks and aatuning and all the other brands have, but I would like a full aluminum pedal set not just to add on to what I have. The ones they sell are just the top piece. Anyone know where I could find a set of the ones im trying to describe, lol? Thanks for any replys

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Got the aluminum Time ATAC. I wanted someting lighter. This was the only pedals in stock at the LBS. I will give them a try. If they work maybe I will go all weight weenie and get some lighter ones. He said all the local BMX guys buy these up. New bike new pedals and a weekend gone riding! See ya all Monday have a good weekend. Thanks!
I love my Time Pedals! They definitely shed the mud better than most of the other pedals I tried and I have liked them so I just keep buying new ones when I wear the old ones out.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Times don't have any moving parts to get jammed or have to grease. Plus they don't eject you when you hit a rock like the Crank Bros.

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
I like the Time pedals so far. They are easier to get out of than the 'beaters in a panic situation. Usually easier to get in. My shoes are messed up from the eggbeaters. My left shoe is worn funny and now it floats around on the cleat. I will get some new shoes soon and I think i will be good. These are the low end Time pedals and they get a thumbs up!

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
yessssss i have the time atac alum pedals... they are cheaper thatn shimano and hav such a satisfying CLICK when you clip in

bikermancam

Chimp
Sep 26, 2004
+1 ATAC

Beaters are great as well but feel a little less engaged (similar function to Time).

Also note as others have above, beaters can wear out your shoe soles fore and aft of the cleat.
I have been using beater blockers for years which is a great metal plate that mounts under the cleat and can be found searching online.
Also of late I heard something to the effect that Crank Bros now offers something similar?? someone else will need to confirm that. :thumb:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
If you want to release up there is only one choice available. The Shimano cleat #55. The 51 is latteral release only whereas the 55 is the so called multi release which will come out upward. Not sure why one would want that as simply pedaling hard will allow you to release. Current Shimano pedals are very good in mud but not immune to jamming. The mud I ride in is very thin so it's just never been an issue here. Some of the cross races see clayee mud where you have some issues but all the other guys did too no matter which pedals they had. I used Time for a couple years and never got comfortable with the mechanism.

Not sure why but eggbeaters don't sell well at all on the Shore.

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
I just wanted clipless pedals that I can get out of! The Time are great. I dont have to try to get out like the 'beaters. I get squirrley on a log ride and I am out. I think Time or Shimano are the way to go.

miked.

Chimp
Aug 4, 2009
Vancouver
it could be because i've been riding with them since i was 13, but shimano has never let me down. i'm in when i need to be, and i'm out when i need to be. the action to me is completely natural. i'm sure others are great, but i'm always scared to switch because i'm afraid that after 16 years of spd, i'll just confuse myself with anything else. i ride with m545's. a bit heavy maybe, but they sure take a beating.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You won't get confused but you will need to adjust to a new feel. It may take 13 seconds, you may never get used to it. I was always a Shimano guy because that's all there was when SPD was first released. I tried the Time ATAC after several years on SPD. They have two release options depending which side the asymetric cleat goes. One way gives you lots of angle before you release and the other way less. I'm thinking it was 12 and 18 degrees of release to the outside but I could be off. I hated the big angle. Too much motion required. The lesser was still more than an SPD but it was fine. But I gave up on them after a couple years as I kept bending axles and they wore pretty quick leading to shoes that would float latteraly and tip over.

Eggbeaters will likely feel similar as the mechanism has very similar characteristics. The one guy I know that uses eggbeaters wears out the bushings fast. Bushings are lame in pedals. You'll hear some people say they are easy to replace and Crank Bros will send you free replacements. Or you can buy Shimano and never do anything to them ever because they have better bearings.