Votes: 18 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billleigh

Chimp
Jun 3, 2004
Beaver PA
I know someone will say do a search ...but... bite me I already did! :mumble:

What type of pedal and shoes do you use to DH race or Freeride?
Ive been using 661 Dullys and Shimano DX flats and I would like to clip-in.

Anyone use the Specialized Sawpit Shoe? How about Atomlabs Quicksteps has anyone tried these?

Bill

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Tioga PG Comp SF-MX Pros (the black ones)

and

Etnies Callicuts

I use this setup for FR and DH right now. I'll probably make the switch to clipless for racing this year.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Sidi Dominators and Time Zs.
I'm just got a pair of Mallets to try. The jury is still out as to which I prefer.
I really like stiff shoes. It feels like more of my power is getting to the cranks. If you use a stiff shoe for all day DH runs, (Whistler) I recommend getting a high end insole.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
661 Launch shoes are clipless and have the skate styling if thats your thing. They're quite stiff, and work fine on flats as well.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
tioga mx pedals the black ones that were pictured earlier. and any skate shoe thats the way to go. if you were racing then i would probly say clips but since your doing freeride stuff too then deffinatly go flats.

mosplat

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Brooklyn <-> Oakland
nike dunk sb's (one of their skate shoes) and azonic a-frames (or any pedal, really).
they blow even vans waffle tread out of the water.
i never slip a pedal.
street and freeride.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
well i have never ridden clipless for dh so i cant say what to get. but the crank bros. mallets look pretty nice and from riding them without clipless shoes i can say they are pretty nice.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I currently ride vans and a-frames. I want to try the clipless a-frame. Looks like a mallet that you can actually ride with skate shoes if you feel like it.

RideMTN

Chimp
Mar 10, 2002
New Milford, CT
I ride with Adidas Hematomas and Crank Bros Mallet C. The hemas are the best DH shoes I have put on my feet. Check them out it's werth the price of admission.

Justin

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I use Intense shoes with Wellgo Mag flats and Shimano shoes with Time pedals...I wanted to learn to ride both with equal skill...but my clipless skills still have a while to go before they catch up with my flat skills...D

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Right now, I am using Vans Rowley XLTs or FiveTen Impacts (really really old beat up ones) with Shimano DXs or Azonic A Frames. For XC and such I use Nikes and 959s. This season, I'm going to try a similar setup for DH: Nike XC shoes with 647s (just ordered a set today).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dhkid said:
i would go with the shimano dx pedals with the long screws in them and a pair or 5.10. thier are the next best thing to clipless whitout cliping in :thumb:
Yep, this is the setup I've been using for a while now and it's my fave. Have now got in a bunch of riding with my new 5.10's and I can say they are awesome, as long as they keep making them I will never switch. I'm gonna buy another pair just to have them in case they get discontinued again. I love the DX pedals because they work great and remind me of the originals on my bmx bike back in the day.

I have a pair of sawpits that I ride with shimano clipless for rides with more climbing/less techy stuff. The sawpits are good but I was hoping for more ankle support. The top strap has a strechy panel that is comfortable but means there is very little ankle support for a high top. The sole is a little more flexy than I hoped but still pretty stiff for a dh shoe. Overall I'd give 'em 8 smelly toes out of a possible 10...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
BMXman said:
but my clipless skills still have a while to go before they catch up with my flat skills...D
i dont think there is much skill needed when using flats... :rolleyes:
OGRipper,
do you use the impacts with the high or low cut, and what the reason for using the low cuts over high cut or vicy-verca(sp?)

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
clipless are good for dh and mtx/ds because your feet don't fall off, you get more power to the pedals, i have mallet m's and sawpits i like both but wouldn't pay retail for either. they are like 300 for both crazy.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have tried XC style clipless shoes, the old Shiman DH, the Axo Filter(predecesssor of the Launch) and now I'm on my second set of 661 Launch's with Shimano DH 646 pedals. I would reccomend the 661 Launch over any other style shoe for DH. When you come unclipped in an XC style sole, it is hard to just ride it out because the sole feels likes like the euqivalent of riding flats with PVC pipe on your feet.

The Launch has a pretty really stiff sole (with pretty thich insoles for comfort) to keep your feet from fautiging but the skate sole allows you a good feel for your pedal when you have to ride out a burly section unclipped. Also since there are no spikes or weird contours to the sole, it is way easier to find the pedal cleat to clcik in than a XC, Hematoma or Sawpit style shoe.

If you wanna try clipless, I'd seriously go with that shoe and a set of either Time AtacDH, Shimano 647 or Mallets www.crankbrothers.com .

The other alternative if you go with flats, which I've been riding all winter, is the Five Ten Impact(formerly known sas Intense) stealth rubber shoes and virtually any set of flats including Wellgo www.fiveten.com . Don't let anybody tell you Vans, Oakleys, Etnies, DC's, Merrells or anything else work like those things cause they are blowing hot air. They're straight up retarded and work.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhkid said:
i dont think there is much skill needed when using flats... :rolleyes:
OGRipper,
do you use the impacts with the high or low cut, and what the reason for using the low cuts over high cut or vicy-verca(sp?)
I've got both versions. The hightop is well padded to protect your ankles. I noticed Rennie runs ankle protectors or braces when he rides (he wears low tops). If you don't which to buy, get the low tops and if you find yourself brusing or scraping your ankles, just buy a set of 661 Anklebiters...better to get the lows and upgrade if needed.

But I think I like my high tops better than my low tops because they do offer a lot better ankle padding and there isn't any loss of movement

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
i run both flats and clipless. for clipless i use shimano m120g shoes and the m647's for pedals. flats i have tiogas. i just started to use clipless less than a month ago and they are great for dh and trails. i only use them on the hardtail for racing.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Ive been running the oakley Radar locks most of last season and all of this one so far. They are awsome, super comfy and totally stiff enough. The best part is you can walk around in them fine after races without feeling any discomfort. Last year I ran the Time Atacs and I liked them but The cages they use are very weak. Mine has broken pieces all over it, and a buddy of mine only has the springs left with no cage. This year I went with Mallet M's and I could not be happier. They are a lot easier to get into then the Times and I haven't popped out of them yet. Ive hit them a few times really hard and the cage is still intact. Plus Crank bros sends you a ton of spare parts for them. Oh BTW there orange so that makes them even cooler.

I got a pair of intense flat shoes this weekend so Im going to try them out flat style. By far the most grippy pedal ive been on would have to be the Easton Flatboys. Nothing else has compared. Ive been on Tiogas, Shimano, Odyssey, etc. and flatboys with these shoes out grip them all. THey are a bit pricey but worth it. If you wanna save some money look into the Funn Soljam Vipers they are also super sweet, I ran them last year and they are great for a good price.

Another flat pedal to look into is the new Specialized low-mag pedal. Its the gold ones there putting on all the bikes. I just got a new p3 and there super low profile and really gripping just riding street. Im going to try them on DH and see how they hold up but thhey seem sweet so far.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
bizutch said:
I've got both versions. The hightop is well padded to protect your ankles. I noticed Rennie runs ankle protectors or braces when he rides (he wears low tops). If you don't which to buy, get the low tops and if you find yourself brusing or scraping your ankles, just buy a set of 661 Anklebiters...better to get the lows and upgrade if needed.

But I think I like my high tops better than my low tops because they do offer a lot better ankle padding and there isn't any loss of movement
I have the high tops and like them for padding as Bizutch described but also because they give me ankle support. When I rode low tops I tended to hyperextend my ankles much more. Not sure about Rennie, but from what I've seen most people who ride with braces are looking for support as much (or more) than padding. High tops don't give as much support as a full on brace but they give enough for me and this way I don't need braces.

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
sun ringle octane mag and kswiss five stripes. FOund out these shoes work HELLA well by accident once. They grip like no other. When I ride clipless I've got 661 launch and some pos wellgo pedal, plan to upgrade soon, though

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Mallets and Sidis. I haven't ridden anyting but clipless for the last 10 years or so. These days if I try riding flats it feels weird like there is this strange disconnection with my bike.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
for racing i got the a pair of 2002 Vans clipless (dunno the name) with Shimano 646 pedals.. in the mud it's the new DX shoe (with the lace cover) and some DX pedals