Quantcast

Pedals?

Jimmy the D

Chimp
Apr 28, 2006
I got my bike used from my uncle.... It has Egg beaters (pedals) I was wondering as a beginner what type of pedal should I use or is it all just Pref?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
All preference. If you feel comfortable riding clipless(eggbeaters, etc) then go for it. Otherwise, get a pair of flats and ride them.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
some of it also depends on the riding that you do. if you got the bike with egg beaters on it then it is most likely a xc rig, so if you plan on doing a lot of xc riding you might want to keep, or at least try clipless, bc they give you the ability to get power out of the up stroke as well. however if you ride clipless for at least a couple rides and you dont like them one bit, then i would say go with a nice pair of flats.

umberto

Chimp
Apr 22, 2006
Socal rider
sneakysnake said:
at least try clipless, bc they give you the ability to get power out of the up stroke as well. however if you ride clipless for at least a couple rides and you dont like them one bit, then i would say go with a nice pair of flats.
i second this statement, I bought clipless and you couldn't make me go back to platform pedals. It makes riding easier because you aren't just pushing 1 pedal on the downstroke, you're pushing and pulling at the same time which is more efficient

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
if you are learning to ride a lot harder stuff..and being clipped in all i have to say is that is a terrible combo through my eyes

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If clipless scare you you can always get MTB pedals and toe clips. It took me a while riding with Toe Clips before I felt comfy on clipless. Now......3 bikes later all I ride is flat pedals (platform pedals) because I've gotten so use to just releasing your foot when you want to.

Seriously toe clips aren't a bad option if you'd like that clipped in feel without the hassels of being clipped in.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i'd ride platforms, that all i ride, and i will never go toe clips and clipless since i feel too locked in and unsafe..i would have died riding dh or freeride with clipless..and you want to be able to bail off the bike and do no footers and 1 footers in the future,